metal sensitivity

cptacek

I started a whole 30 in August, and continued in September, and lost a lot of weight.  My wedding ring started slipping and getting annoying while typing (which I do at least 8 hours a day) so I got an extender that goes on the inside of the ring to make it fit tighter.

I started getting a red patch on the back of my ring finger.  It isn't where the extender is, so it isn't that I'm reacting to that piece of metal.  It is the part where the actual ring is making contact with my skin.  It is red, kind of flaky, and it itches and hurts.

I honestly ate like crap in November and December.  The red patch went away.  I started my Whole 30 again Jan 1, and the red patch is back.  It is painful enough that I am wearing my ring on my pointer finger right now.

Any ideas why eating Whole 30 could cause this reaction?  

• Moderators

I would bet it is not metal sensitivity. Other possibilities would include that 1) soap, lotions, etc are getting trapped under the ring and causing an issue with the spacing between the ring and finger varying or 2) that friction between the finger and the ring is causing an issue. There is nothing about eating real, whole, fresh foods that would make you sensitive to a wedding ring, but rising or falling inflammation that leads to changes in fit would. 

• Moderators

That doesn't explain why Nov/Dec it went away (and I gained, so the ring got tighter) and now 7 days after I started again it is back.  I didn't start any new hand washing techniques or try any new lotions.

So just a guess -- maybe when the ring is tighter it moves less, and when you eat W30 and your swelling/puffiness goes down, it moves more, and it's more the friction of the ring moving than the material it's made of that is causing the issue? Can you put it on a different finger, at least during times you're at home/not out in public, and see if it causes the same problems?

Heh.  I thought of that.  The goal of this whole 30 (and beyond) is to get pregnant and have a healthy baby, so the weight will go back up, hopefully.  Have you ever heard of making dietary changes to lose weight with the express intent to gain it back?  I had massive swelling of the hands and feet with my son, so if this works, getting it resized would be premature!

I do not.  This ring is a symbol of our love and fidelity, and I never want to be without it, if I can help it.  I love it.  I had to wait too damn long to get married (cause I hadn't met my husband yet) to be dismissive of my wedding ring.

It is white gold.  I did some research over the weekend, and it looks like nickel is in leafy greens and other food, and I have started eating a lot more salad.  I think I get extra nickel in my diet, and then the constant contact with the white gold is causing me to go over the edge into contact dermatitis.

Archived