Went to lunch during workday... did I just botch the whole thing?

kimemp

I didn't hear my alarm this morning and woke up with no time to prepare lunch, only time to have breakfast which seemed a priority at the time.  I went to a café for lunch and found a sandwich with two fried eggs, shaved roast beef, pepperjack cheese, avocado, and salsa on sourdough bread.  I asked them to hold the pepperjack and sourdough so I essentially ate two eggs over shaved roast beef with avocado and salsa. 

I thought it was perfectly fine while eating it, but got worried later if the roast beef had sugar or carrageenan or if the salsa had sugar.  Would anyone consider my Whole30 botched because of this?

I'm not going to start over because I've been doing so well and I never imagined I'd even get this far, but I'd like to get some feedback on this.

• Administrators

Botched vs not botched really depends on the ingredients in the meat.  Accidental sugar is not a gut or hormone disruptor so doesn't necessarily require a restart.

Deli meats will often have soy, corn, wheat or dairy in it as well as the other additives like carageenan.  Your best bet if you really want to know is to call over to the deli, tell them you have potential food allergies and could they kindly read you or send you the list of ingredients on the roast beef.  Then you can make an informed choice as to what you should do.

This article might help you decide: http://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

I specifically remember in the official "Can I have..." section Melissa included those oils simply because  you can't avoid going out to eat altogether on this plan.  I am more concerned in the additives in the roast beef and salsa.  I'll take your advice and contact the deli to see what the ingredients are.  Thanks!

Yes, but soybean oil is *not* among those oils allowed in any circumstance, and that is used frequently by restaurants, plus soy is in most cooking sprays.

... and they could have used butter to cook the eggs, which is not allowed.

on the other hand...you might not have botched the whole30 at all. It would be nice to check with the restaurant and be sure, but it is possible all the things you listed were compliant. Good job navigating the menu and finding something to get yourself fed. That's not easy.

Are you having some kind of side effect? 

Archived