Any wisdom about probiotics?

jpketz

Can someone enlighten me on the pros/cons of taking daily probiotic supplements as a way to balance gut flora? My research is turning up a wide range of information from huckster scams to some serious science but I'd really like to hear some real-life experience taking W30 compliant probiotic supplements. 

(I know about fermented foods, etc. and while I do eat them fairly regularly, you can only eat so much sauerkraut.)

Thanks for any wisdom.

• Moderators

I reserve taking probiotics for whenever I have to be on antibiotics as a way to restore gut flora. I take a really good one... Prescript-Assist... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049NRWHS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=35I1RPZA7JY40&coliid=I3PFDXB0BARZFV

Otherwise, I eat sauerkraut, kimchi, fermented pickles every day. You just need a little to keep your gut bacteria teaming with good stuff. :)

• Moderators

I take a daily probiotic as prescribed by my functional medicine doc and am happy with it. It's Biodoph-7 from Biotics Research, and I take one a day. Of course, that doesn't mean it would work for you or that it would be an appropriate dose. Supplements are like foods in that our bodies react differently to them.

Archived