A nice, organic CIGAR?? (**gasp** no he didn't!!!)

@the22207

I am veteran W30'er.  We've all read "And it should go without saying, but no tobacco products of any sort, either"

We all know that tobacco is a killer.... 

But what about a Cigar, not inhaled?  Even my life-insurance provider is ok with this.  Not a swisher-sweet or some other mass-produced garbage.  A nice, organic, small batch stogey.  I guess my question is, besides the immutable risk of catching CANCER... is there another problem (e.g.; all tobacco is rolled in gluten).

Going out with some of my boys tonight who will be drinking spirits, eating dough, and having a jolly time.  In addition to my handful of almonds & soda water, can't I have a few puffs of a stogey?

Not looking to start a religious war, but a cigar is not the same as a cigarette or chewing tobacco.  My proof is above: the actuarials at all the life insurance providers agree.  An occasional cigar smoker can get the same rates as a non-smoker.    

Smoking while on a Whole30 isn't recommended, but it's not against the rules.

Are you currently on a Whole30?  If so, what are your goals for your Whole30 this time around?  I would then ask yourself if having a cigar is in alignment with those goals.

I think you're going to smoke that thang.   I just want to suggest you take a hard look - to make sure it isn't mostly a huge rationalization because it sounds really familiar to me.   Hmmmmm....where have I heard that before,  oh yeah....me.   treadmill.gif

@Chris - I feel like Luke Skywalker & you're Yoda.  Yes I'm on day 5 of my 4th W30.  What are my goals?  To get thru it without killing anyone! :)

Seriously, I am a 40-yr. old Dad & Crossfitter.  My goals are to be more healthy, sleep better, think clearer, WOD better, shed a few Holiday LBs.  

My wife & I eat mostly Paleo the other 11 months, so I'm not trying to make any major life changes here....  Just always like starting the new year with a fast/cleanse to clear the mind.  

My biggest 'goats' in my daily (non-W30) diet are alcohol & sugar.  Really craving those right now, so I feel like a cigar is reasonable.  But as @MeadowLily stated, we can rationalize anything!  :P

LOL at the Skywalker Yoda reference.  :D

I wonder how taking a few cigar puffs coincides with your "be more healthy" goal? I would also caution using a cigar to quell an alcohol/sugar craving. (It's the equivalent of advising people not to use fruit to quell sugar cravings.)

At the end of the day, it's your decision as to what to do in this scenario. 

My opinion here is that this doesn't make you healthier, but it may make your life otherwise enjoyable. Alcohol doesn't make us healthier either, but provided you don't imbibe during a W30, we support the occasional cocktail when desired.

I'd keep away from the stogies until you're done with your last 7 days, then make the decision when the opportunity arises.

Insurance providers aren't always an indicator of health parameters ;)

I hate to break it to you, but cigars are just as dangerous as cigarettes, the science is pretty clear on this, the dangers are just slightly different (such as cancer of the larynx):

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/quit-smoking/expert-answers/cigar-smoking/faq-20057787

http://www.tobaccoinaustralia.org.au/3-27-health-effects-of-smoking-tobacco-in-other-fo

Smoking is also a major cause of inflamation, so skipping it will likely make you feel a lot better the next day :D

Its up to you, but if it's a tradition, might be time for a new tradition?

You can party hard without making yourself sick. Have a nice big steak and enjoy your time with the boys.

Giving ourselves permission to smoke a stogey, make paleo desserts or live on Larabars and dried fruits.    

22207,   some "dieters" do cheat meals every week.  Whether they want/need one or not, because it is permitted they give in.  The permission slip is in place every cotton pickin' weekend and they  start "dieting" all over again on Monday.

• 5 weeks later...

22207... I think you're going to be okay based on a few things you've written:

- I am veteran W30'er.

- I am a 40-yr. old Dad & Crossfitter.

- My wife & I eat mostly Paleo the other 11 months.

Have the cigar, it's not as though you're foregoing everything you've accomplished thus far, just as long as that occasional smoke doesn't turn into a serious habit.

Good luck and remember to "stoke it before you toke it."  http://www.howtosmokeacigar.com/how_to_light_a_cigar

Archived