Whole30 Newbie

jdharna

Hi, my name is Juli, and I'm starting The Whole30—officially—on Monday, January 12th.  

I devoured "It Starts With Food" last week. My husband and I were traveling from north Florida to Missouri. I purchased the iBooks version first and began reading it as we drove. Just before I took over the wheel in mid-Tenessee, I purchased the audible version so that I could continue the book as I drove. My husband was also impressed—remember, he's listening as I'm driving—but he's not a technophile, so he likes old-fashion paper books.  So, when we got home, I ordered the hardback version for him! That's 3 versions of the book! 

Today, I received my copy of "Well Fed" by Melissa Joulwan.  I'm figuring out how to start on Monday so that I have no cheats and no slips! 

I know even before the clock strikes on the first day that I'm going to miss my soothing hot beverages: chai and coffee, which I've been having with soy milk/almond milk and Truvia (3 to 4 packets) for the last few years! Truvia is going to be my biggest challenge. Of course, I worry about the loss of starch, too, but not quite as much as the creamy sweetness in my tea and coffee!  So, if anyone has been down this road before, please share how you survived! 

The first two weeks of the whole 30 are the hardest, once you are finished you will not miss milk in your coffee. If I ever have a hankering I will use a frother to either add coconut milk or coconut oil or both. Both are yummy buy I like the coconut milk better. You can definitely find teas that are compliant but I agree I love a warm beverage in the morning to start the day!

Good luck to you. One of the hardest things for me was to give up my coffee. Giving it up is way easier than drinking it black. I'm not a big fan of tea, and I detest the taste of coconut. Since I gave up milk/creamer, I find I really enjoy a good cup of coffee with sugar. And a recent trip to India introduced me to chai, it won't be easy, but I know you can do it. There's a lot of people here to support you so don't worry.

Of course, I worry about the loss of starch, too, 

A note to clarify: you don't have to give up starch, just grains and legumes (and soy and dairy, etc, of course). Including starchy veggies in your plan is not just permitted; it is encouraged. enjoy. and welcome!

Archived