Any Vegetarians doing the "real" Whole30

Kaminoge

Hi,

Just wondering if there's any other vegetarians out there attempting to follow the "real" rules of the Whole30 (rather than the vegetarian suggestions). I'd love to try a few other people who are making the same attempt as me. I'm eating eggs (so not vegan) although I don't usually but no animals at all. I also don't live in the US so I can't get my hands on any of the packaged stuff that I see people mentioning. It's all made from scratch for me. 

If you are a vegetarian then do that one without meat and fish. I don't think you get the best results by mixing the two. I am wondering why you feel you need to add eggs if you are a vegetarian? Did you not get good results on a previous whole30? Are you unable to bring yourself to try meat? What if you did the original whole30 with eggs and fish and no beans or dairy or soy?

Tina is right. Although eggs are on both lists, the other vegetarian protein options are not, and you should choose one plan and go with it. Do not mix the two. From what I have read, you will get the best reset and best health from the original program.

If you can't eat eggs, just eat the meat, do the omnivorous original version, and don't add dairy or legumes.

If you can't eat eggs or meat, just do the veggie version. 

• 2 weeks later...

First of all sorry that I abandoned this thread for so long and thanks to those who responded. I thought I'd get some sort of notification when people posted but I guess not.

T-squared sounds like we're doing the same thing. Tina I'm not sure if your comments were directed to me but I'm eating eggs because they're allowed on the programme. Vegetarians eat eggs (as stated I'm not vegan). I usually don't eat eggs because my boyfriend is vegan and I generally find it easiest if we just eat the same things but for 30 days I'm not bothered about cooking/eating things just for me. I am doing the original whole30 with no beans/dairy or soy. Also with no fish (vegetarians don't eat fish, despite what some people seem to think fish are not a vegetable).

It isn't that I'm "unable to bring myself to try meat" (I love meat!) it's that I'm ethically opposed to the idea of the meat industry. If I was raising my own animals and keeping them in a natural environment I'd have no problem then eating them. But sadly that's not how the meat industry works and since I don't live in the US or in any other Western country I don't have the option of sourcing my own meat from ethical sources.

Hi Kaminoge,

I'm "usually" a (loooong-term) vegan but giving this a try to see if it helps with my health and fitness. I'm not really ready to have meat (for the same reasons you state in your last paragraph, with the exception that I've always hated the taste and consistency of meat ;) ), but I try to include some wild-caught fish and lots of organic eggs, which seems like the least ethically (and culinary) terrible choice to me.

I'm only on day 3 so far.

Looking forward to reading about your experiences.

Hi,

Just wondering if there's any other vegetarians out there attempting to follow the "real" rules of the Whole30 (rather than the vegetarian suggestions). I'd love to try a few other people who are making the same attempt as me. I'm eating eggs (so not vegan) although I don't usually but no animals at all. I also don't live in the US so I can't get my hands on any of the packaged stuff that I see people mentioning. It's all made from scratch for me.

I am also vegetarian! I do eat eggs and fish, and that helps me a lot. It took a lot for me to start eating fish, but I knew I needed more protein in my diet.. I am on day 11, and have started feeling better. In the beginning I was having headaches and felt really weak in the morning. But I really am feeling much better. Hope your Whole30 goes well.

Hi,

I'm doing the Whole30 as a vegan (NO eggs, dairy, chickens, fish, etc).  It's not a very far reach from my regular, very clean diet.  The big jump for me is to omit most legumes.  I think for 30 days, it's no problem, but that would not be sustainable for me.  The veggie/vegan suggestions by Whole30 include a lot of tofu.  That makes me gassy, and I don't like too much soy in my diet, so I don't include that one.

I'm only on the 5th day.  I've been eating a lot (like, A LOT), as I do in my usual diet.  It is not impossible at all.  

Breakfasts are always smoothies (I use a protein powder that includes some stevia (yes, stevia, but this is vegan, so I'm fine to make that exception), which I mix with hemp powder that is very not-sweet), and lunches and dinners are usually zucchini pasta, raw spring roll type wraps inside of cabbage, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, or huge salads.  I snack a lot in between, on tiger nuts (they are naturally sweet), veggies, almond butter, and these lemon-coconut-coconut oil-hemp heart bars I made (Yes, I made a bar.  Again, a vegan exception to make an omega-and fat-filled bar snack).  

I also drink a lot of herbal tea, some decaf coffee with coconut oil, and other tonics I make.  I don't eat out, just like my usual diet.  

Hope I've made it seem a bit easier!

Jjo

I sure am! I'm on day 13 and haven't  added any horrible foods like soy or legumes and no dairy either. Hemp seeds are permitted on the real one so I add that for an extra boost of protein.

Hemp seeds are one of my staples.  I think we're not supposed to use them as a crutch, but I think they (and chia) are a very clean source of amino acids.  I prefer them to relying on tempeh and tofu.   

Oh- so you're actually eating meat. I'm doing the real one but just with eggs. 

Hi again,

Sorry I'm posting a lot at the same time, but I just got on here and I'm excited because I haven't found other vegan or almost-vegan people doing this "diet" until now.  

I noticed you asked somewhere about miso.  I'm not sure if it's "allowed" either.  Did you find out?  I think I read in one Whole30 spot that certain fermented foods weren't allowed, but I am also sure that I read somewhere else that kombucha is allowed as long as sugar is only added pre-fermentation.  I am keeping miso in my diet (very small amounts though) because I personally believe its benefits far outweigh any downfalls (which I assume is that there is sugar in fermented foods).  

jjo

I am finding it pretty easy to stay with the whole30 as a vegetarian.  I suppose it helps me a lot that I do eat eggs and fish.  I am missing cheese (cause I love it),

but I am committed to seeing this through.  

I am finding it really helpful to use balsamic vinegar with my fish dishes.  It really adds flavor and I can carmelize my veggies in it.  I am trying to find out where all of the recipes are that members share.  If you have that info, please let me know.  I would really appreciate it.  

Hope today goes well for you.  So far, so good, for me!!

Good for you cherry!

Your body will thank you for staying away from dairy (even if you aren't loving that part yet!). Dairy makes me soo phlegmy and I've read it's a big cause of inflammation, which causes all disease. You can do it! I think recipes are in the Community forums.

Hey there.

Regarding the miso: I think the main issue might be that almost all miso isn't just fermented soy but also (or, in some cases, only/mainly) contains grains (rice and/or barley). However, there is one variety of miso (that I know of) which is soy-only. It's calles "hatcho miso". It's really dark and pretty intense, and almost a bit chocolate-y in taste (so, nothing alike e.g. the creamy, sweet-ish shiro miso).

I noticed you asked somewhere about miso.  I'm not sure if it's "allowed" either.  Did you find out?  I think I read in one Whole30 spot that certain fermented foods weren't allowed, but I am also sure that I read somewhere else that kombucha is allowed as long as sugar is only added pre-fermentation.  I am keeping miso in my diet (very small amounts though) because I personally believe its benefits far outweigh any downfalls (which I assume is that there is sugar in fermented foods).  

jjo

Hi there!

Yes, I found out Miso was allowed on the veggie version since it's just fermented soy. All fermented foods are ok- like sauerkraut, pickles, and (for vegetarians) yogurt, kefir, and miso. All those fermented foods are fine. Just check labels, and make sure sugar wasn't added. Also note that for kraught and pickles, if they used vinegar, they didn't ferment it, and that shelf-stable jars and cans have been pasteurized and have killed off all the beneficial probiotics; you have to buy the ones in the refrigerated section.

I found a store that has kombucha on a tap and you can buy it by the growler. How funny I must look walking out of a health food store with a growler! Anyway, good luck!! 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived