whole30 'party' food to trump the competition!

daisydaisy

Hello all

I was hoping some people might be able to help me out... I'm going to a 'cider weekend' with friends this weekend, which involves camping, drinking and lots of eating. Lots of people have been home-brewing cider for the past year, which gets entered into a competition, and equally there are different categories of food (normally pies, pasties, quiches, cakes, brownies, desserts etc) which are individually 'judged'. The competition is fierce - but obviously I'm doing the whole30 so want to contribute food that not only I can eat, but also that tastes bloomin' good to everyone else - and maybe even WINS in a category!

I don't want any 'paleo' friendly puddings, I'm going to stick to the savoury category, so was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? There aren't any ovens etc (we're in a big field) so it has to be something to be served cold, preferably 'nibble' sized/sliceable so that people can eat with their hands, or at least easily balance on a paper plate!

I'm sure that I'm going to get a lot of abuse for not drinking, but equally will get plenty of questions about the foods I'm not eating, so want to be able to demonstrate just what YUMMY food is still ON the menu!!

Any suggestions most gratefully appreciated!

Hi- not sure if you are looking for appetizer or main dish. I have made this dip for many parties and everyone seems to like it. It's a roasted eggplant spred from Ina Gartens first cookbook. It's great served cold with vegetables for dipping. I just spent a weekend away with a friend who was not happy that I wasn't drinking. It was very difficult and I just told her its not up for discussion. I tried explaining the program to her but she was not interested. My husband was with me and he was very supportive, so that helped alot! Good luck!

1 medium eggplant, peeled

2 red bell peppers

1 medium red onion

2 garlic cloves, mined

3 TBS olive oil, or coconut oil

1 tsp kosher salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 TBS tomato paste

425 degree oven. Cut vegetables in 1 inch cubes, toss with oil, garlic, salt ,pepper. Spread in even layer on sheet pan and roast until lightly browned and softened. Stir occasionally. Cool slight , place in food processor with tomato paste and pulse to blend. Leave chunky or smooth, however you like it

Ooh thank you that sounds lovely! I've tried baba ganoush before, but this sounds even better! A dip is definitely a good option, as it's nice to have something to go to for 'picking' at when everyone else is still eating their way through the categories!

I just spent a weekend away with a friend who was not happy that I wasn't drinking. It was very difficult and I just told her its not up for discussion. I tried explaining the program to her but she was not interested. My husband was with me and he was very supportive, so that helped alot! Good luck!

My husband is rather skeptical, but on the whole vaguely supportive, so will just have to hope that after I've said "no" people will kind of get the idea and leave me alone!!

Thanks again!

bacon wrapped pineapple (on little toothpicks)

or (just found this recipe and it sounds SO delicious) - http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/02/27/smoky-pear-bites/

or bacon wrapped dates (notice bacon is a theme here? i'm hungry) - http://cavemengourmet.com/2010/06/09/bacon-wrapped-dates-with-marcona-almonds/

these also look delicious - http://beta.primal-palate.com/recipe/prosciutto-e-melone/

Anything with bacon in it = a VERY good thing! Thank you so much for the suggestions. I've tried cooking the bora bora fireballs from Well Fed and the sunshine sauce for the first time... smelling pretty good but haven't tasted it yet!

I think pecans in dates is something I've heard mentioned before? Not tried it yet though.

Gatork I'm noticing a theme of fruit + bacon - is that something that works well then? Haven't considered it before!

Looking forward to trying these suggestions. Ran out of time for the weekend bash - am trying the bora bora balls and the aubergine dip recipe above (thanks cw19) but thanks Gatork and Derval for the yummy ideas! Got a book club coming up that I'm hosting, so will definitely need all the ideas to show the girls that the usual pizza/cake combo has been superceded!

I just made this for a gathering and it was phenomenal! I made it with tuna but in the comments Melissa responds to one poster that she thinks it would work well with chicken. I don't normally do tuna so am making it again this week with chicken! Served with cucumbers....amazing!

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/04/25/firecracker-tuna-salad/

Yes free-range bacon that is sugar free seems to be impossible to find! Prosciutto is a great idea. Someone else at the party had 'salad on a stick', which was chopped strawberry, goats cheese/halloumi (can't remember), and prosciutto on a cocktail stick, with balsamic vinegar drizzled over it. I picked off the cheese, donated it to a very willing husband, and ate it. Yum. Didn't have more than one though as wasn't completely sure whether they'd added anything to the dressing :-( it's hard asking all your friends if their party food is whole30 compliant!!

Archived