Dextrose in SALT?!

cldarling

I just ran out of kosher salt and was going to use my iodized salt for brining some chicken. Never thought to check the ingredients in salt since I thought it was just SALT! WRONG! Listed as the 3rd ingredient is dextrose! Anyone have any idea why there is a need for sugar in my salt!??!

• Moderators

Here is an explanation - http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2012/05/morton-iodized-salt-whats-in-it/

I'm not worried about the amount of sugar in packaged salt, but would advise avoiding it during a Whole30. The main reason I say avoid it is because exceptions of any sort tend to be exploited for "evil" purposes and because any exception is a Hartwig call in my opinion.

• 3 months later...

Actually the dextrose in salt is there for a good reason (otherwise the iodine will oxidize). Personally, I use the same approach as Tom and get my iodine from food (sea veggies, seafood, eggs and strawberries are all sources).

Plus, I love the flavor (and the nutrition!) I can get from natural, mineral-rich sea salt. yum.

Actually the dextrose in salt is there for a good reason (otherwise the iodine will oxidize). Personally, I use the same approach as Tom and get my iodine from food (sea veggies, seafood, eggs and strawberries are all sources).

Plus, I love the flavor (and the nutrition!) I can get from natural, mineral-rich sea salt. yum.

Missmary..for some reason, I was under the impression that those of us who use sea salt were not getting iodine. That never made sense to me. Maybe it's that there isn't any added. I need to get into these sea veggies and sea snacks that you and Johnny talk about.

Missmary..for some reason, I was under the impression that those of us who use sea salt were not getting iodine.

I think a lot of people who eat the SAD would not get much iodine if it weren't for the iodine in salt, but I'm pretty sure I get enough through food. Sea Snax FTW!

I think a lot of people who eat the SAD would not get much iodine if it weren't for the iodine in salt, but I'm pretty sure I get enough through food. Sea Snax FTW!

Oh got it! Going to pick up some sea snacks and nori today! :)

• 1 year later...

Archived