Day 7 - Feeling bloated and a little discouraged...

Tammyj30

So, I am on Day 7 and I have been doing everything right, but I am feeling so bloated and I have had a headache the last two days.  I know that it is a possible side effect of my body adjusting to the new way of eating, but it is just so discouraging and I wanted to vent.  I mean, I have a headache from NOT drinking wine over the weekend?  What?  And my pants feel tighter and my belly is sticking out - ugh!  Anyone else feeling this way?  Better yet, is there anyone else who felt this way and then had it go away?  I could use a pep talk right about now.   :blink:

Definitely read the timeline. You are right on track, I am on my third whole 30 and despite eating very paleo prior to starting this time around I still had a headache until day 7. Bloating is a very common complaint too. Hand it there, you will make it and feel the tiger blood soon!

• Administrators

Hey Tammy, dlocs is totally correct, you are on track to the timeline: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Bloating is completley normal but if you do a quick google search with "Whole30 bloating" you can find some threads where it's been discussed before. Aside from where you are in the program, common issues are nuts, cruciferous veggies, garlic & onions.

If you want to post a few days worth of meals, we can take a look and let you know if there are any adjustments you can make. But as dlocs says, hang in there!

So, I just finished day 13 and I am still feeling super bloated and like my pants fit way tighter than they did before starting this journey.  Of course, this is discouraging because I have spent so much time making sure I am eating the right foods and I have not had my favorites - wine and cheese.  I will post what I ate today and then again over the next couple of days.  Here is today:

Black coffee, egg, greens (kale, chard, spinach), prosciutto

Banana, Apple pie Larabar, pistachios (This is the first time I have eaten a Larabar and it was only because I was out and stuck without another option.)

Kale, cauliflower rice, ground beef, salsa, carrots

I have also been exercising every day.

Sticking with it, but really, really hoping for results soon!   :) 

• Moderators

I am in the same boat on Day 8.  I look pregnant!  I also wonder if it is because I do not eat a lot of red meat and I am eating it 2x a day.  It is the only thing that keeps me full meal to meal!  

Some people find digestive enzymes helpful in a situation like this, although it can be hard to find some that are Whole30 compliant. You might also benefit from adding fermented foods like raw sauerkraut, kimchi, or kombucha for their probiotic benefits.

So, I just finished day 13 and I am still feeling super bloated and like my pants fit way tighter than they did before starting this journey.  Of course, this is discouraging because I have spent so much time making sure I am eating the right foods and I have not had my favorites - wine and cheese.  I will post what I ate today and then again over the next couple of days.  Here is today:

Black coffee, egg, greens (kale, chard, spinach), prosciutto

Banana, Apple pie Larabar, pistachios (This is the first time I have eaten a Larabar and it was only because I was out and stuck without another option.)

Kale, cauliflower rice, ground beef, salsa, carrots

I have also been exercising every day.

Sticking with it, but really, really hoping for results soon!   :) 

Please tell me breakfast had more than one egg and that's just a typo? That meal should probably include three eggs, possibly four -- it's as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand:)  

Hang in there, it really will get better.

• Moderators

Hmmm...it was only one egg.  I really was afraid to eat more because I had my plate filled up with greens and prosciutto...I have trouble justifying eating more when my pants are so tight at my waist...

I find it helpful to remember that Whole30 is about nourishing your body, giving it all the nutrients and vitamins and minerals that it needs to be the very best it can be. I know it can be weird to think of it that way when we're so used to being told to restrict everything and limit what we're eating. 

I definitely came to this from the mindset of a diet as a punishment -- I'm fat, and therefore I don't deserve to have food that tastes good, I deserve to be punished by having to eat things that taste like cardboard and always being a bit hungry, that's how I know I'm doing the diet thing right. But Whole30 is not like that at all. I try to think of it as a form of loving myself and respecting my body -- I give it all the good stuff it needs to do what it needs to do, and not only is it rewarding me by changing (losing weight, feeling better), but I'm becoming happier in my own skin. It's definitely a work in progress, and it's not always easy, but I've seen enough changes to know that if I can stick to it, in the long run, it's going to be worth it. 

I am getting very discouraged as well. I am on Day 19 and have--to the best of my knowledge--followed the Whole30 plan to the letter. My diet was not horrible by any means when I started Whole30 but I had lapsed into eating much more sugar over the holidays. The only "dairy" I consumed was coconut milk creamer, which has sweetners in it and occasionally half and half in my coffee. I used Paleo Protein powder in smoothies, which had sweetners in it and I used Truvia (stevia) in my coffee.

Now, I have bouts of diarhea at least every 3 days, when I never had problems with this. On Day 2, I developed patches of dry, red and scaly skin on both cheeks, which hasn't gone away, even though I took mysef off all cleansers and am using only Purpose soap and Vani-Cream for mositurizing.

My stomach is bloated and distended and my "bigger pants" are tight. I am really confounded as to why this is happening, when I didn't really have to change my diet all that much to begin with.

Thoughts? I am really questioning why I should continue when I look and feel worse than I did 19 days ago.

Thanks for ideas~

• Administrators

JAV,

The sugars and dairy that you were eating could have been messing with your gut flora.  Now, without them but with the addition of more protein, veggies and fat, your flora could be rebalancing causing digestive upset.  Could be that.

Could be that you are eating a lot of raw veggies which can cause digestive upset and bloating.  Especially cruciferous ones like cabbage, cauli, brocoli.  Could be that you are eating more nuts than normal which are upsetting to some people, digestively.

The skin issues could be a hydration issue (we recommend half an ounce of water per pound of bodyweight).  It could also be that you just recently switched facial cleansers and your skin is still adjusting.

I know that no one wants to look or feel worse than they did before they started but going back to sugars and chemical sweeteners and dairy isn't going to help your current situation.

Can you please post a few days of typical food (including portion sizes), fluids, sleep, stress and exercise so that we can take a peek and see if there are any modifications we can suggest to help you feel better?

I also just finished day 19 and I can honestly say I have been totally compliant with all food...and I feel the same exact way.  My stomach has never been this big, and all my pants are so tight around the waist that it is totally uncomfortable.  I am really sad and upset about this, but I am going to continue.  I just really, really, really wish that I was seeing results - I thought I would for sure by this point in the program.  I was expecting my clothes to be fitting better, not worse.  I will keep exact tabs on all portion sizes and post everything I am eating in a couple of days.

I'm feeling the same way.  I'm on day 13.  My first week was good, I felt fit and slimmer.  Day 9 I started to crash.  I was tired all the time, I could and can easily sleep until noon if I don't set an alarm. It's also when the bloating, stomach aches and constipation started.  I know it's on the timeline that this can happen. I'm just confused, since I didn't have this problem my first Whole30 2 years ago and its been 4 days.  I guess I need reinforcement that this will go away.  I started to poop a bit today (They were all floaters and super small, which I also feel isn't healthy. ) and I'm still extremely bloated. 

Heres are 3 days so you can see what I'm eating

Breakfast: 3 eggs, 2 compliant bacon 

Lunch(Woke up late): almonds and some grapes 

Dinner: Salmon on a bed of mixed greens with avocado, red pepper, cilantro and lemon and oil, side of strawberries 

- 1 cup of warm lemon water in the morning and 6 glasses of water 

Breakfast: 3 eggs 

Lunch:  1/2 large chicken breast, arugula with lemon and olive oil, small handful of carrots and a small handful of almonds -- I'll try to not to eat nuts to see if it changes anything 

Dinner: Brussel sprouts and sweet potato fries with some homemade paleo basil mayo 

-   I had a small cup of black coffee and warm lemon water in the morning hoping it would help digestion as well as 6 cups of water during the day.  I also ran for about 20 minutes.

Breakfast/Lunch (I woke up late today): 3 eggs, 2 pieces of compliant bacon  

Dinner: wasn't hungry but had tuna salad(w/carrots and celery homemade whole30 mayo) on arugula with a side of brussel sprouts and grapes 

-  3 large cups of water and a cup of black coffee and warm lemon water in the morning about to go run for a half hour. 

Is this my body repairing itself still or am I doing something wrong?

• Moderators

I'm feeling the same way.  I'm on day 13.  My first week was good, I felt fit and slimmer.  Day 9 I started to crash.  I was tired all the time, I could and can easily sleep until noon if I don't set an alarm. It's also when the bloating, stomach aches and constipation started.  I know it's on the timeline that this can happen. I'm just confused, since I didn't have this problem my first Whole30 2 years ago and its been 4 days.  I guess I need reinforcement that this will go away.  I started to poop a bit today (They were all floaters and super small, which I also feel isn't healthy. ) and I'm still extremely bloated. 

Dinner: Salmon on a bed of mixed greens with avocado, red pepper, cilantro and lemon and oil, side of strawberries 

Lunch:  1/2 large chicken breast, arugula with lemon and olive oil, small handful of carrots and a small handful of almonds -- I'll try to not to eat nuts to see if it changes anything 

Dinner: Brussel sprouts and sweet potato fries with some homemade paleo basil mayo 

-   I had a small cup of black coffee and warm lemon water in the morning hoping it would help digestion as well as 6 cups of water during the day.  I also ran for about 20 minutes.

Dinner: wasn't hungry but had tuna salad(w/carrots and celery homemade whole30 mayo) on arugula with a side of brussel sprouts and grapes 

-  3 large cups of water and a cup of black coffee and warm lemon water in the morning about to go run for a half hour. 

Try adding more veggies -- your breakfasts don't have any, and on your other meals, it's hard to tell quantities. Generally, try to get 1-3 cups of vegetables at each meal (more if it's something like raw leafy greens, since those look like a lot but don't really have the same density as other vegetables). For water, go for 1/2 ounce per pound of body weight, so if you weigh 120 lbs, have at least 60 oz of water. 

You can try magnesium to help with constipation if it continues. Unflavored Natural Calm is one option, but there are other brands that are compliant too. 

It sounds like what others said (that you aren't eating enough veggies) and also just not enough in general. Try to make every meal fit the recommended meal template: protein, lots of veggies, and healthy fat with occasional piece of fruit. 

I find that I have more digestive issues with nuts and fruits.  So I personally need to watch out for those. 

I've heard that each successive Whole30 can be a little different too.

I'm always reminding people that it's not about losing weight so much as it is getting right with your body.  I think a lot of people (I'm not saying anyone here) are obsessed with the weight loss aspect of a Whole30 (side effects) rather than the philosophy of it -- that is to balance your relationship with food psychologically.

"The food that we eat should:

• Promote a healthy psychological response.
  • Promote a healthy hormonal response.
  • Support a healthy gut.
  • Support immune function and minimize inflammation."

Hartwig, Melissa; Hartwig, Dallas (2012-06-19). It Starts With Food: Discover the Whole30 and Change Your Life in Unexpected Ways (p. 24). Victory Belt Publishing. Kindle Edition.

Okay, so now I am on Day 25 and I am still super bloated.  As I mentioned in a previous post, my pants are tighter than they were during the holidays when I was eating anything that wasn't nailed down.  My stomach has not been this distended since I was pregnant (that was 10 years ago).  I started drinking original Calm and taking probiotics and I am limiting foods like broccoli and nuts.  Here is a sample of the last couple of days.  Praying to feel better in the next couple of days and not feel so discouraged.

Black coffee, 2 eggs, greens

Pulled pork, greens (chard, kale, spinach), mashed potatoes (using ghee and canned coconut milk)

Raspberries, pistachios

Ground pork, potato, diced tomatoes, dollop of mayo

Black coffee, 2 eggs, greens

Pulled pork, greens, cauliflower, clementine

Ground pork, butternut squash, greens

Black coffee, hard boiled egg, greens, chicken thigh

Sweet potato, greens, chicken thigh, clementine

Sweet potato with coconut oil, chicken thigh, snap peas

I have also been working out - either weights, karate, or walking on the treadmill.  Any ideas?

UPDATE:  So it's been another 6 days  and I have made sure to eat at least 1-3 cups of veggies per meal with some healthy oils and protein and lots of water. I am still severely bloated and frankly feel depressed and gross. My pooping is little or nonexistent for days at a time.  I have taken natural calm but that didn't help either.  I took a laxative today "off book" but I'm so frustrated I really don't care. Bahhh I know the whole30 isn't just about losing weight, but I definitely did not start this program to feel worse and to be even further away from my goals.  I wasn't much of an unhealthy eater (besides my sweet tooth) to begin with and I am a regular exerciser. I'm just having a hard time understanding why my body is acting this way. 

Archived