fitting in post workout meal

hollyglight

I normally workout first thing in the morning before work--wakeup up at 5:30ish to work out with my trainer from 6-7. if i eat a pwo meal right after, i am confused about breakfast. can't breakfast just be my PWO meal and have 2-3 more meals later?

I normally eat 2 eggs mixed with veggies and 1/2 an avocado for breakfast and if i am still hungry a little while after that, i will throw in some fruit.

any thoughts or suggestions? i am looking to lose a little weight and become leaner.

• Moderators

Pre- and post-workout meals are called bonus meals because working out hard means you need more than 3 basic meals per day.

Your post-workout meal should occur within 15 to 20 minutes of completing your workout because your muscles are especially ready to eat in that window. The PWO meal should include lean protein. You don't want to eat much fat right after a workout because that slows digestion and keeps the protein from getting to your muscles in a timely fashion. Consequently, your ordinary breakfast might be too late and whole eggs have a good dose of fat that make them a poor PWO meal choice.

Whole eggs are very good nutrition, so eating them is a great thing. They just don't work well as a post-workout meal. They are good as pre-workout food.

If you are wanting to become lean, you can omit carbs from post-workout meals. Carbs are optional. Eating few carbs may reduce your energy levels a little, but if you are feeling okay and want to become leaner, that is something you can do.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that reducing calories is the quick route to becoming lean. If you don't eat enough, your body becomes more conservative and burns less fat. Too often, people who starve themselves don't lose much weight because their bodies begin to work against them. Focus on eating good meals of protein, fat, and veggies and you may be surprised at how you become leaner.

Archived