Adrenal Depletion

I know my adrenals are depleated because of my cortisol levels and low hormone levels. And I know my cortisol levels because I had a saliva test done. Most doctors don't do saliva testing but my gynocologist does, I didn't do it through her though I ordered it online and it's the same lab she uses. http://www.johnleemd.com/store/prod_stest.html

I suspect I have thyroid issues too since it runs in my family on both sides, my mom has hashimotos. I just had a full panel done which included free T3 and T4 and reverse T3 so I'll be interested to see what it says. I just completed whole30 and I only lost 2 lbs but I did lose some inches. I'm going to keep going and considering AIP but not sure yet.

I too have had some major issues with adrenal overload before starting Whole30.  Today is Day 16 for me, and I have not strayed one bite, but I am still dealing with a horrible allergic rash around my eyes.  I think I am still reacting to some of the foods I am eating -- eggs (organic cage-free), beef(grass fed), walnuts and this itchy horrible, ugly red and scaly mess keeps coming back.  I am also allergic to fish (which I have only had once), grapefruits (and I gave away a whole case I had just bought from our High School's FFA), tomatoes, green peppers, black pepper, and more, and I have tried to not eat any of that either.  I think mango might be a culprit and pineapple too.  YIKES -- what is left to eat?  Chicken and salad!  I need some help or some hope.  When I saw my face this morning, I just wanted to grab those gluten-free waffles in my freezer and say never mind (I didn't though).

When someone is in a situation where they seem to be allergic to everything, it's not always a case of actually being allergic to every single one of those foods, but is a symptom of leaky gut syndrome. When the gut is leaky, EVERYTHING that you eat can escape and go where it's not supposed to and your body will react accordingly. Once the leaks are plugged up, a lot of the foods can probably be reintroduced with a problem. In addition to the Autoimmune Protocol that others have suggested, you might also want to do some reading about the GAPS introduction diet which is designed for rapid healing of the gut.

I know my adrenals are depleated because of my cortisol levels and low hormone levels. And I know my cortisol levels because I had a saliva test done. Most doctors don't do saliva testing but my gynocologist does, I didn't do it through her though I ordered it online and it's the same lab she uses. http://www.johnleemd.com/store/prod_stest.html

I suspect I have thyroid issues too since it runs in my family on both sides, my mom has hashimotos. I just had a full panel done which included free T3 and T4 and reverse T3 so I'll be interested to see what it says. I just completed whole30 and I only lost 2 lbs but I did lose some inches. I'm going to keep going and considering AIP but not sure yet.

Are you a coffee drinker?

Today, I'm declaring that I am giving up coffee.   Coffee contributes to adrenal depletion, too.   I'm done with it.   

"Adrenal fatigue"

The caffeine connection has been hidden by the fact that treatment for adrenal dysfunction disorders tends to be shortsighted and one-dimensional. As I have explained before, understanding the health effects of caffeine requires a long view, perhaps encompassing most of one's lifetime. And from that long-term view, a two-phase phenomenon is revealed. 

Caffeine Blues By Stephen Cherniske MS, page 205

Another concern is that caffeine addiction often occurs along with other abuses,  sugar most commonly. Caffeine, like sugar, over stimulates the adrenals and then weakens them with persistent or chronic use. First, sugar stimulates and weakens the adrenals, which creates fatigue. Then we use caffeine to keep us aware and awake, further depleting our adrenals, to which many respond by drinking more caffeine with sugar.

• Moderators

Are you a coffee drinker?

Today, I'm declaring that I am giving up coffee.   Coffee contributes to adrenal depletion, too.   I'm done with it.   

"Adrenal fatigue"

The caffeine connection has been hidden by the fact that treatment for adrenal dysfunction disorders tends to be shortsighted and one-dimensional. As I have explained before, understanding the health effects of caffeine requires a long view, perhaps encompassing most of one's lifetime. And from that long-term view, a two-phase phenomenon is revealed. 

Caffeine Blues By Stephen Cherniske MS, page 205

Another concern is that caffeine addiction often occurs along with other abuses,  sugar most commonly. Caffeine, like sugar, over stimulates the adrenals and then weakens them with persistent or chronic use. First, sugar stimulates and weakens the adrenals, which creates fatigue. Then we use caffeine to keep us aware and awake, further depleting our adrenals, to which many respond by drinking more caffeine with sugar.

Yes. Coffee not only blows out the adrenals and dehydrates the body, but it also leeches calcium from the bones. Definitely a good idea to take a break and give up the daily habit, especially if you suspect adrenal fatigue.

Nope, not a coffe drinker. I do love the smell and taste but I know my adrenals can't handle it so I stear clear. I do enjoy my dandelion root tea though :) I've been fatigued since I was a child so something bigger has caused my adrenals to burn out, just not sure exactly what. I am very gluten intolerant and have been gf for only about 4 1/2 years so that could be part of it.

Archived