Pre and Post WO fuel for evening lifts/workouts

ElizaB1723

Hi All!

I'm looking for ideas as to how to better fuel my evening workouts. I currently do Olympic lifting 4x per week and crossfit 1x per week. I wake up around 5 and am at work by 6:30 or 7am. I usually have some sort of veggie (sauteed kale generally) or sweet potato hash and eggs for breakfast. I eat chili or soup or an easy 1 container meal for lunch at work, and then head straight to the gym after work. I then get home around 8, cook dinner, and head to bed. This is my second whole30, and my goals are to improve my Oly performance and to also improve my body comp.

I'm searching for ideas for a prewo snack that I can bring with me to work and eat prior to leaving for the gym. I'm not a huge fan of hardboiled eggs (as in not a fan at all) but will eat them if thats the best/only option. Another option is a half of an epic bar, although they are a tad pricey. If anyone could help me with suggestions that would be great. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of canned tuna, but other than that I'm pretty open to ideas.

My second question is do I need a postwo snack? I'm coming directly home and making dinner asap, it seems silly to eat something postwo and then eat again in less than an hour.

Thanks for any and all help!

• Moderators

You might find ideas about what to eat by googling Whole30 and preworkout or post-workout meals.

You do need a post-workout meal because your muscles are especially open to protein for 15-30 minutes after a workout. If you wait until you drive home and prepare dinner, you will be past the optimum window. I thought the post-workout concept was silly until I started actually doing it. Then I found that I recovered faster from hard workouts. And I was eating a can of tuna at the gym, driving home and eating lunch as little as 45 minutes later. 

Archived