Anyone starting soon? January 20th or after.

Tina Beshears

• Administrators

Starting today. Glad to see a thread starting so recently. Began Dec 1 but can't say I did Whole 30, too many little bends of the rules. But I loved how I felt, so here we go!

S.

You can do this! Just think, if you felt great even with the rule bending, how awesome you're going to feel when you complete a fully compliant Whole30! :)

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, can I get in on this thread? I've been lurking for a couple of weeks but officially started today. I had to wait until payday to buy some stuff that I knew I would need. I'm doing Whole 30 and still cooking for a family that has no interest in making this change. They are very supportive of me, but not willing to go without.  Although, tonight I had to stop my husband from eating my chicken/veggie dish.  Anyone else facing this challenge?  

Anyway, I did well today except I almost ingested sugar TWICE! A student and a co-worker both offered me treats today. I reached for both before I remembered what I was doing. That made me think about how much mindless eating I do! 

Hope everyone had a great day! 

"...propping those sugar cravings up with anything sweet..."

Heh.  So.... have you ever tasted unsweetened chocolate?  Trust me on this.  It Is. Not. Sweet.  Like, so opposite of sweet as to make most people turn away and make faces.  Like, so bitter that black coffee (allowed, I'll note) is easier to swallow sometimes.  I recognize that there are all kinds of reasons that unsweetened chocolate may not be right, and that's fine.  It's your Whole30 so if I'm not doing it "right", totally okay with me.  I'm still going to have it -- and will try to note that it is a non-compliant item when I mention it.  (With the addition that it's fine in savory recipes where you can't mistake it for a "confection."  Which is making me chuckle all over again.)

ThyPeace, brussels sprouts are sweeter, come to think of it.

OK, finished day 3 today (tonight), so far so good.  Kinda been on the run, so my meals have been somewhat repetative. I'll add creativity this weekend.  Glad to see a large group all starting at the same time.

Is everyone going for 30 days, or are some of you considering longer?

Dave

Thanks! I'm so relieved to hear that unsweetened cocoa is okay as a spice. I had looked at the meal planning template before starting, but missed the word "occasionally" regarding fruit. So I'll put the smoothies on hold and stick with the chewies. I'm not a cook (let's just say that I CAN cook, but ordinarily choose not to) so this is a real lifestyle change for me in more ways than just my intake. My dog is afraid of the kitchen for some reason, so he stands in a "safer" spot and watches me in confusion. One of my cats is very interested in the whole process, so when something is simmering I have to spread aluminum foil on the counters ("Curses! Foiled again!"). 

I'm determined to make this work. I'm so tired of having pain in every bone in my body. Who knew that my bad diet could cause inflammation in my joints? I thought my warranty had just expired. 

Dave, my plan is to do 60 days, with a couple of days' break between the two 30s so I can have some wine and eat something naughty, TBD. The friend who recommended Whole30 to me is an MD (and before that, a nutritionist) and she suggested I try it for 60 days. Are you considering doing it longer, too?

Hi all- am starting on the 23rd January. Am looking forward to staying accountable and motivated by reading of your journey's in the forums. Thought I would have a trial run today and did really well until after dinner mindlessly grabbed a choc biscuit and then went onto some raisin bread and butter. I wasn't even hungry aggghhhh. Will be throwing those items out of the fridge now.

Hello everyone!!!  I welcome day 3!!! I see everyone is doing well and making adjustments!I have tons of energy and am ready to start my day. I am leaving tonight for another ski weekend. This time I am prepared!!!!  I have real food packed in the cooler and I know which restaurants to attend. Wine or martinis wil not be a problem. I am going with just my husband, and he doesn't drink!!! Last weekend it was a party of 14 and drinks were everywhere!!! (one of the reasons I had to start over) I will check in from the mountains!!!  have a healthy and 100% day!!!! Debbie

Morning everyone!  Today has started with some pretty big stressors, but I'm determined to just keep on track. 

1:  cauli rice, 3 eggs, sausage, 1/2 avocado, coffee

2:  chocolate chili, veggies & homemade ranch dip, orange

3:  bratwurst, sauerkraut, perhaps a sweet potato or roasted parsnip

I also have a Lara bar and some Kombucha in my bag to handle the crazy day I've got ahead of me. 

How's everyone feeling?  I feel really tired this morning, but I've also been hitting the workouts harder than usual this week.  I'm really trying to get back into shape!

OK, finished day 3 today (tonight), so far so good.  Kinda been on the run, so my meals have been somewhat repetative. I'll add creativity this weekend.  Glad to see a large group all starting at the same time.

Is everyone going for 30 days, or are some of you considering longer?

Dave

I plan to stay on it until all of my excess weight is gone.  Two and a half years ago I gave up most sugar (used coconut sugar in my coffee), all wheat and most dairy (ate parmesan on rare occasions).  I did that for a year and lost 64 pounds, was running an hour a day and felt amazing.  Then I pinched a nerve in my foot and had to stop running.  Then I started dating an amazing guy and life was a party every time we were together (still is :) ) but I started cheating here and there and over the past year and a half I've gained back 14 pounds and I felt terrible again.  My joints all ached, brain fog, lethargy, and all the rest of the unpleasantries.  The problem was I could not get back on track.  A friend introduced me to W30 and I bought the book and read it before I started.  I encourage everyone to do that and read all the "sciency stuff" so you understand exactly why cocoa is an approved spice but unsweetened chocolate is a psychological crutch and a no-no.  I plan to follow this to the letter because if I don't I know I'll fall back into that same out of control behavior that got me into this situation to start with and I am sick to death of this situation.

Meal plan for the day -

Breakfast - deviled eggs (yay!) and black coffee

Lunch - salad with leafy greens, tomoto, green onion, cukes, mushrooms, diced apple, toasted coconut slivers, balsamic vinegar and olive oil

tuna salad

cashews

4 giant black olives

Dinner - grilled chicken salad with oil and vinegar dressing

dry rub chicken wings

Heh.  So.... have you ever tasted unsweetened chocolate?  Trust me on this.  It Is. Not. Sweet.  Like, so opposite of sweet as to make most people turn away and make faces.  Like, so bitter that black coffee (allowed, I'll note) is easier to swallow sometimes.  I recognize that there are all kinds of reasons that unsweetened chocolate may not be right, and that's fine.  It's your Whole30 so if I'm not doing it "right", totally okay with me.  I'm still going to have it -- and will try to note that it is a non-compliant item when I mention it.  (With the addition that it's fine in savory recipes where you can't mistake it for a "confection."  Which is making me chuckle all over again.)

The official word on unsweetened cocoa on a Whole30 is here in the Can I Have Guide:

Cacao (100%): Yes Cacao (or 100% cocoa) is great when used as a savory spice (our Mocha Steak Rub, found in It Starts With Food, is a great example), but you can also feel free to add it to your coffee or tea, or brew it Crio Bru-style. But per the rules of the program, it’s not okay to add cocoa to dates and other fruits to make chocolate-y confections. Read our Great Cocoa Debate for details.- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.lkwJ8ETV.dpuf

Day 2 for me. Feeling great and oh so motivated. This is my second. well I guess you could say third whole30. My first was back in April that I extended into a whole60. I felt so amazing yet I still had an itch issue that needed taken care of. All the rules they have set up are necessary and make this so easy even tho it sounds hard. It gets easier the further you go, if you stick to the rules. I agree with Tina, reading the book with the sciencey stuff really helps you understand the why of the rules. In fact, I purchased the new version in hardback and am highlighting as I read it. My first book is the kindle edition. Have loaned it out to a friend. I found that I did not miss all the "no" stuff on my last whole60. Didn't realize it would be that way when I started. I found on reintroduction that beans are my enemy. Trialing them sent me out of control and since June I slid back into full blown eating emotionally, fast food easy way out, health destroying, down the drain, stress eating, etc.way. My father passing away and having to move my mom and brother here from where they were 8 hours away did not help matters either. It was taking a huge toll on me mentally and emotionally. I knew I HAD to do another whole 30, My life depended on it. Literally.  I had a day last week that scared me. I am not suicidal, but the thinking process of my brain on all this crap was tickling the edges of it, in thinking about why other people commit or attempt it. My plan with this is a whole100. Hang in there everyone, stick to the rules like glue, read the forums, the can I haves, read the blogs, SWYPO was an eye opener for me. It is worth it, you mind body emotions will thank you.

• Administrators

"...propping those sugar cravings up with anything sweet..."

ThyPeace, brussels sprouts are sweeter, come to think of it.

Hey ThyPeace, I debated not answering back because I didn't want to get into whether or not unsweetened chocolate is sweet or not but having communicated with you before, I know you'll understand where I'm coming from. :) Using something like chocolate, unsweetened or not in the context of: helps me immensely when I have sugar cravings or when everyone around me is having a treat and I "can't."   is selling yourself short on learning new behaviours and understanding your emotional connection with food.  We make the same recommendation to anyone who is using a particular food to treat themselves or help with sugar cravings even when the item is fully and no questions asked, approved.

Just something to consider going forward.  The 100% chocolate bars are just pressed cocoa so "on paper" they would be approved for use during your Whole30.  I would encourage you to examine your context when using them.

So far so good in the morning of day 2. I work at a place that is vegetarian, so I take my eggs for lunch and have meat for breakfast. Such as leftovers or (today) some grass fed jerky. Plus avocado and blueberries. My lunch box has a layer of Orange slices, then avocado, two sliced hard boiled eggs, and some tomato paste for a condiment. I could eat that every day. Last time I did a lot of yams which got me transitioned from carbs, but after awhile it was too much. Will do more carrots this time.

I appreciated the cacao discusson as I have been taking cocoa pills for the flavonoids but recently ordered the vitamin cacao in powder form, cocoaVia just started offering unsweetened. People usually make a hot drink or mix it into food as with any supplement (it doesn't taste very good). I think it will be ok as long as it looks and feels like a vitamin. I don't have sugar or treat cravings (French fries is another matter) and giving up my squares of 72% after supper isn't an issue so far.

Hope everyone has a lovely healthy day.

I am right there with you!  I feel like crawling home to bed.  We have dinner plans to eat out and I put so much effort into finding what I could eat there that I don't want to cancel.  Plus we would have to cook and I just don't have it in me to do that.  So we'll go to dinner and then I'll get some blissful sleep.  -_-

Greetings!

I began on Jan 20th as well, and am realizing today that I could definitely use some support and motivation. This is my first Whole30, inspired by my desire to be healthy, fit, and sober from sugar and processed foods. 

I informed my family of my intentions and seemed to have their support initially, however when I came home today from a horrible work day, I saw that they bought three (!!!!) bags of chips, mashed potatoes (my favorite indulgence), and ice cream! And what's worse- they offered me some! Luckily, I was quick on the defense to say no, but am now isolating myself from the situation so as to prevent potential damage. Reading this thread of conversation from other Whole30-ers has already made me feel a lot stronger in my conviction to not stray from the plan. It's been a rough day, so thank you for that :)

One thing I also realized this morning is that I need some new suggestions for breakfast foods. For the last three mornings I have had two eggs scrambled with barely-wilted spinach on the side. I simply could not stomach it this morning. I didn't think about trying sausage until I read someone's post, as the high fat content made me think it should probably be avoided for weight loss reasons, but perhaps I will try it anyways. Any other suggestions?

My lunch was delicious though, and almost made up for breakfast:

-mixed greens salad with raw broccoli, carrot, radish, beets, and a peppered white balsamic/olive oil dressing

-albacore salad with chopped dill pickle, mustard, and olive oil mayo (http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/)

-green olives

I have already been inspired by many of your meal ideas, so please keep sharing! 

Cheers!

Is anyone else incredibly tired today?  I felt amazing yesterday, but today...not so much.  I do remember this from last time, the roller coaster of "I feel amazing! I feel awful!"....

I am right there with you!  I feel like crawling home to bed.  We have dinner plans to eat out and I put so much effort into finding what I could eat there that I don't want to cancel.  Plus we would have to cook and I just don't have it in me to do that.  So we'll go to dinner and then I'll get some blissful sleep.  -_-

Definitely lagging today as well. Had plans for farmer's market, but I think I will just stay home and scavenge my leftovers. But still need to meal prep....  :blink:

• Administrators

One thing I also realized this morning is that I need some new suggestions for breakfast foods. For the last three mornings I have had two eggs scrambled with barely-wilted spinach on the side. I simply could not stomach it this morning. I didn't think about trying sausage until I read someone's post, as the high fat content made me think it should probably be avoided for weight loss reasons, but perhaps I will try it anyways. Any other suggestions?

Hi Lulah,

The sausage doesn't have to be high fat (although that is not necessarily a bad thing). You can make your own patties with ground pork and spices (I use the Italian Sausage Seasoning from Clothes Make the Girl). Form them into patties and freeze them between sheets of parchment. They cook in a frying pan perfectly from frozen!

As far as breakfast goes, you can have whatever you want, leftovers from last night, soup, chicken salad in lettuce leaves, chili. Whatever. The world is your breakfast! I don't think I'd be very happy with 2 eggs and spinach either. Further, a serving of eggs, if they are your only protein, is as many as you can hold in your hand...for even the smallest women that is at least three, probably more.

I also feel great at end of day 2. Something I reintroduced earlier this month really must have gotten to me, because I feel so much better now. But I have no idea what it is. Makes me want to not mess around with sugar at all, though I didn't do much (I thought). I hope that's not it. Pretty sure its not white rice either. This is not a wholesome train of thought, though. I can just be grateful.

Hey ThyPeace, I debated not answering back because I didn't want to get into whether or not unsweetened chocolate is sweet or not but having communicated with you before, I know you'll understand where I'm coming from. :) Using something like chocolate, unsweetened or not in the context of: helps me immensely when I have sugar cravings or when everyone around me is having a treat and I "can't."   is selling yourself short on learning new behaviours and understanding your emotional connection with food.  We make the same recommendation to anyone who is using a particular food to treat themselves or help with sugar cravings even when the item is fully and no questions asked, approved.

Just something to consider going forward.  The 100% chocolate bars are just pressed cocoa so "on paper" they would be approved for use during your Whole30.  I would encourage you to examine your context when using them.

Thanks for the thoughts, ladyshanny.  The emotional connection to eating is actually important to me; I have been working on that in some ways for a good long while now.  As for context, well, you're right.  And that leads to a good bit more information.  The rest of this may be one of those "TMI" moments, so feel free to skip. 

I'm 47, divorced and remarried, with 3 stepsons (18 to 25) and a daughter.  My husband’s permanent job is 365 miles from my house and we have lived separately for almost all of our marriage.  I went through a hideous divorce and custody battle when DD was six months old, 12 years ago.  I supported myself working full time as a single mom for 6 years, then married DH.  Even then, I was still a single mom most of the time, because he lives in another state.  DD had a head injury when she was two, leading to intense migraines and ADHD-type behaviors that require therapy and medication.  My full time job was first as a consultant doing studies that made grownups cry at work (yes, literally) and then in a part of a research organization that held the lives of hundreds of people, hundreds of thousands of animals, and priceless amounts of research in its hands.  The risks there were enormous – and all too close by some days.

Two years ago, I weighed 201 pounds (I’m 5’9”), my blood sugar was at 108, my cholesterol and triglycerides were high, my blood pressure was creeping up, and I looked godawful.  I got nowhere near enough sleep and barely any exercise.  I had read every single nutrition and diet book I could find -- Zone, Low-Carb, Weight Watchers, everything.  I lost weight on some of them, but was so hungry I couldn't function.  Or I ate enough that I wasn't starving -- and gained a ton of weight.

My general practitioner offered to send me to a nutritionist, saying, "I don't agree with all that fat and protein stuff that she says people should eat, but it seems to work.  So I just keep sending people over there."  I took a deep breath and told her I'd do it.  I knew enough about nutrition to know pretty well what the nutritionist was going to say, and I was right.  She wanted me to reduce my carbs, eat more protein and fat, and shift my carbs to a much healthier mix of lots of veggies and some fruit.

I couldn't do it.  I knew what I had to do -- and couldn't.  I tried for months.  We spent a year working through what in the world was going on with me before I even started trying to lose weight.  I started walking 10,000 steps a day.  I figured out how to manage an ADHD kid whose eating patterns are insane.  DH and I have (we're not all the way there yet) started working on a life that involves less travel and more nights sleeping in the same bed.  And I found a new job so I could reduce my stress levels.  As it turns out, it's not that I have a problem with emotional eating.  That put the blame on the eating, when it fact it was how I was living my whole life that was the problem.  I could not manage the stress levels in anything like a healthy way, and that had to change before I could start to address how I was eating.

At the same time, we worked to figure out what food sensitivities were making my stomach hurt Every. Single. Day.  I hadn't even realized how bad I felt until I started to feel better -- months before I started my first Whole30.  I gave up most dairy, then even more dairy.  Then I gave up sugar.  Then I started reducing my intake of wheat.  And only then did I start the Whole30, at which point I gave up all dairy, all grains, and the small amount of sweetening I still used (stuff like maple syrup as part of the flavoring in a salad dressing or marinade).  I actually read It Starts with Food and Eat To Live by Joel Fuhrman at the same time.  They're an interesting balance -- ISWF is very focused on high-quality animal protein, while ETL is very VERY focused on eating an extremely clean vegan diet with a LOT of vegetables.  And I kind of implemented both, in that I vastly increased my vegetable intake at the same time as I started eating very high quality animal protein and lots more fat.  And, yes, that chocolate that we started talking about a while ago.

It worked pretty well to move me closer to my goals.  I’ve lost 13 pounds.  Doesn’t seem like much, but it’s practically a miracle to me because I am still eating what feels like the “right” amount of food.  My blood sugar, A1C, cholesterol, and triglycerides are all normal and heading toward "WOW, that's fantastic!" according to the doctor and nutritionist.

Am I all the way there?  Heck no.  That's why I'm doing my second Whole30.  That next ten pounds, and getting closer on the food sensitivities, are both important to me.  So is continuing the fitness.  When I changed jobs, I lost the easy way I could get to 10,000 steps, so have had to find other ways to work out and increase my strength and stamina.  There are challenges in the new job that I never imagined, sending my stress levels back up again.  So there is lots of stuff to manage.

Through it all, though, there’s the question of binging, triggers, and what to do to face them.  I prefer salty to sweet these days, and have learned that when I want something salty, that often means I’m low on protein or thirsty, or both.  When I want something sweet, I’ve learned that a piece of fruit is much more satisfying than candy ever was.  And I’ve learned that a quarter-ounce of unsweetened chocolate will stop an urge to binge when nothing else will.  So that’s the part about the cravings.

Now, about the “everyone else is having a treat.”  I am in this change effort for the long haul.  Yes, this part is “only” 30 days.  But for me, it is a part of a much larger effort that is taking years to get through.  During this whole time, I’ve learned that joy in the foods I eat is important to me.  Luckily, I can take joy in Brussels sprouts and roasted beets.  Most of the time, joy and good for me mesh pretty well these days.

So when everyone else is having a treat that I know is not good for me, that does not negate the fact that I want a treat – and there is not actually anything wrong with treating myself well.  I have had to learn how to treat myself well both in terms of the joy of the food, and the joy of the health it brings me. When a meal is a celebration of being together, or a celebration of an event, or just a celebration of living another moment, then participating in the celebration is important to me.  Unsweetened chocolate allows me to do that in a way that leaves no damage.  Is it a crutch?  I suppose it may be.  And I’m okay with that for right now.

So – this is a really long answer to what you likely meant as a short comment.  I appreciate it, though, as it got me to think it through without being as defensive as I was originally when you challenged me on the chocolate.  I am changing the life I live.  I am doing the very best I can to take care of myself. My long-term goals at this point are to be consistent in what I’m doing and to continue this long path I’m on.  The short term goals are ten more pounds lost and a better handle on some of the food sensitivities.  If it takes some unsweetened chocolate to get there, well, thank goodness it tastes good to me, in its bitter, intense, holy-cow-that-was-amazing way. 

ThyPeace, should have figured that reducing stress levels while also getting a promotion wouldn’t be as easy as it sounded.  But hey, my staff thinks we’re doing okay, and that means a lot to me.

Archived