Anyone starting soon? January 20th or after.

Tina Beshears

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lulah,

Hang in there.  It's so worth it. 

What kind of sausage are you all using?  I have avoided it because I thought it probably all had sugar in it.  If there's a recipe for making it yourself from ground pork someone please share it.  My SIL makes a baked egg casserole that I might have to try.  She uses cheese but if I can find a good sausage to put in it that would make it really good.

I'm not getting nearly enough sleep but otherwise I'm doing great.  I hope everyone else it too.

Have a great day!  It's about to start snowing here.

Tina

• Administrators

Lulah,

Hang in there.  It's so worth it. 

What kind of sausage are you all using?  I have avoided it because I thought it probably all had sugar in it.  If there's a recipe for making it yourself from ground pork someone please share it.  My SIL makes a baked egg casserole that I might have to try.  She uses cheese but if I can find a good sausage to put in it that would make it really good.

I'm not getting nearly enough sleep but otherwise I'm doing great.  I hope everyone else it too.

Have a great day!  It's about to start snowing here.

Tina

You can make the Italian Sausage Seasoning from Clothesmakethegirl.com and then just mix it into ground pork. Form them into thin patties and freeze between layers of parchment. They cook perfectly from frozen in a hot frying pan. :)

Hi Tina! (And everyone!) - I make my own sausage and it's a huge hit in my household.  My hubby and little boys go crazy for it.  It's easy-peasy.  I just buy plain ground pork sausage.  (I can't always get organic / pastured, but hey, I try!).  I mix in salt, pepper, fennel seeds, italian seasoning, garlic powder, and/or whatever else I feel like.  Sometimes then I form it into sausage shapes, patties, or just leave it in crumbles.  The crumbles are easiest, because then I can add them into hash, eggs, omellettes, on top of a baked sweet potato, in with cauli rice, etc.  But the patties and sausage shapes brown up into carmelized heaven.  My kiddos literally go nuts.  If you haven't made your own breakfast sausage - DO IT!  It's so easy and tastes amazing and oddly fresh?  I don't know that fresh is the right description for sausage, but it's really good.  :)

Michelle

Hi. Finished day 4 yesterday. Feeling pretty good. Gave up diet soda a while back so no withdrawls related to that kind of stuff. Engery levels have felt consistent.  For the most part I have stuck to just the three meals (not counting the added post work-out meal in the morning) and no snacking in between. A couple of times I have grabbed some almonds in between.  Do you folks do any snacks or just the prescribed meals?

Michelle: Thanks for the sausage recipie, I think I'll give it a try this weekend.

Tina: Congrats on all that weight loss from a few years ago and keeping most if it off.  I'm sure the rest will melt away this month.

Anne2719: I'm kinda thinking I'll do 45 or 60 days, depends on how I feel and how I see my body respond over the next 30 days.

Have a good one,

David

• Administrators

Do you folks do any snacks or just the prescribed meals?

Hey David, you may not be there yet but the goal is the three meals a day with no snacking in between.  This allows your system to "rest" between meals.  If you are legitimately hungry between meals, by all means eat, our recommendation is at least protein and fat, ideally also veggies. 

:)

Hi Nicole, I'm not sure if anyone got back to you on this or not so I'll throw my hat in the ring.  It sounds like you are wanting to do a very low carb Whole30...which is totally fine...in theory.  But please pay attention to how you go because you could experience heavier symptoms both at the beginning and further on when you restrict carbohydrates such as you outline.  Moodiness, fogginess, dizziness, nausea, exhaustion etc would not just be symptoms that you have to "push through" they would be your body begging for carbohydrates. Especially in the week leading up to your period you may notice that you need the starchies, they aren't to be feared and if you do have weight to lose, you'll drop it even while eating starchy veggies.  Dropping the fruit is less concerning as they aren't as valuable a source of carbohydrates (lots of us don't eat fruit).  

If you experience extreme cravings for sugary or junky food items that's a sign of lack of carbohydrates too.

So just to be clear, I'm not saying you cannot do it this way successfully while eliminating starchy veggies...just that you could end up causing yourself more discomfort than is needed....and with little measurable benefit.

Hi ladyshanny,

Thank you for writing all of that out for me. It really means a lot that you took the time to read my post and to respond so well with helpful details and information. Thank you, truly. It really makes me feel supported even more.

As for what you said about lack of energy and other symptoms that aren't necessarily ones to "push through"...I definitely feel it. I work 1-2 a day, 5-6x a week. High intensity Crossfit, plus coaching, plus a demanding job, plus being a human being in general (oh, and I actually am on my period right now, so I'm even more groggy)...it gets exhausting and the fact that it's day 4, I'm definitely feeling even more hung over because..that's to be expected. My body is transitioning, shifting gears to using fat for energy versus sugar. 

Yes, I am on this weight loss goal..and I get so nervous about intaking starchy carbs, but...like you said, it might not be something I necessarily have to omit. I do want to stick to green veg. more, but now I don't feel as restricted as I did before your response. For example, I have been super low on energy (for the combination of reasons stated above), but today at lunch, I included 4 pieces of plantain with my salad, and I felt really good about it. I know it wasn't chosen out of any sort of craving, but for a matter of sustaining myself, which made me feel much better. I will still be careful with them (as in, not having them in large quantities all the time), and play around with the little amount of fruit taken in, but like I said, I feel more comfortable now knowing I don't have to omit them completely in order for my weight loss goal to be reached. 

Thank you for your help and I hope I can hear from you more! You're very knowledgeable and helpful!

• Administrators

Hi ladyshanny,

Thank you for writing all of that out for me. It really means a lot that you took the time to read my post and to respond so well with helpful details and information. Thank you, truly. It really makes me feel supported even more.

As for what you said about lack of energy and other symptoms that aren't necessarily ones to "push through"...I definitely feel it. I work 1-2 a day, 5-6x a week. High intensity Crossfit, plus coaching, plus a demanding job, plus being a human being in general (oh, and I actually am on my period right now, so I'm even more groggy)...it gets exhausting and the fact that it's day 4, I'm definitely feeling even more hung over because..that's to be expected. My body is transitioning, shifting gears to using fat for energy versus sugar. 

Thank you for your help and I hope I can hear from you more! You're very knowledgeable and helpful!

Awwww...thanks Nicole, that totally made my day!   :wub:

That is a boatload of life you have going on there!  Consider carefully what I'm going to say.  If you are overweight (and I said "IF"...because we often believe that we can afford to lose a few when it's not actually a reality) and you are working out that often, it is not starchy carbs that is your problem.  More to the point it probably is your lack of starchy veggies that is the issue.  That is a LOT of exercise and it sounds like a lot of ambient stress to fuel.  Restricting nutrition is going to make your body hold onto every single calorie.  Add the consistent stress and any lack of sleep and you're going to be a very hard loser.  Sorry.  :(  Sleep, stress relief, rest days, starchy carbs and enough food in general is going to be a huge key for you.  

I'm glad to hear that you added plantains and that you physically felt the effect of them, that is great!  Adding starchy veggies will not stop your body from converting over from sugar burner to fat adapted, you don't need to worry there.  I would challenge you to add one fist sized serving to at least one meal a day for the next week or so and see how you feel.  

If you can start thinking about foods as nutrients and not their "macros" you will be miles ahead of the game.  

Are you keeping a food log in our logging section that I can peek at?

LadyShanny:

do you have an recommendations for post work-out starchy carbs?  The book recommends sweet potato, acorn squash, butternut and it seemed like one other.  I like all of those, but I work-out early in the AM and they are just not that apealing at 6:30 AM :) .

David

• Administrators

LadyShanny:

do you have an recommendations for post work-out starchy carbs?  The book recommends sweet potato, acorn squash, butternut and it seemed like one other.  I like all of those, but I work-out early in the AM and they are just not that apealing at 6:30 AM :) .

David

Ya, that's them, unfortunately.  Maybe try sprinkling some cinammon on your sweet potato?  Try it either roasted in cubes or maybe mashed?  Fruit isn't great because it preferentially replenishes liver glycogen stores rather than muscle glycogen.

I've done 3 Whole30s and what I've done for 2 of them is that I have fruit once or twice a week - generally one piece.  After a little bit, you don't miss it. I've not had added sugar since 2011, so I don't have that sugar dragon most have, but I did find that I sleep better with less sugar from fruit.

On the starchy vegetables, I found that I went too low on that and it caused issues, which got resolved, but now I eat either 1/2 yam or some butternut squash daily or 1 whole yam every other day and that restricts the issues from returning.

I've done 3 Whole30s and what I've done for 2 of them is that I have fruit once or twice a week - generally one piece.  After a little bit, you don't miss it. I've not had added sugar since 2011, so I don't have that sugar dragon most have, but I did find that I sleep better with less sugar from fruit.

On the starchy vegetables, I found that I went too low on that and it caused issues, which got resolved, but now I eat either 1/2 yam or some butternut squash daily or 1 whole yam every other day and that restricts the issues from returning.

Simmie,  I hope your stomach healed from months ago.  

Oh don't I wish! I'm muddling through some FODMAP eliminations and have found a couple of culprits, but the gut issues are stubborn. Thankfully, one RX med has helped (it would be nice to know What caused it tho).

Day 4 for me today. This is the first time I have had no appetite/aversion for eggs for breakfast. Oddly it didn't happen til after I had cooked them. Chopped onion, mushroom, spinach, fresh garlic. Was determined to eat it and not waste it, so thought pops in head to splash a bit of balsamic vinegar on it. Tasted really good! I tried a balsamic reduction yesterday after reading about it on another thread. Oh MY! it was delicious on my chicken. A new addition to my cooking. My taste buds seem to be going thru some kind of change, My coffee this am taste chemically, not sure if it is the coffee or the coconut milk. Didn't taste that way yesterday and the coffee is green mountain and coconut milk organic, no carageenan. Oh, well, chalk it up to whole30 life/health changing event. Either it will start tasting good again or I'll have to quit coffee. Last whole30, I ended up not drinking any coffee by the end.

Today is day 5 for me and I'm struggling a little bit.  I'm having a serious pitty party for myself over not having coconut sugar and Silk creamer in my coffee.  I used to say the best thing about going to bed was knowing that I would get that cup of coffee soon.  Oh well, bottoms up with the black coffee!  I'm hoping tomorrow will be different.  Overall I'm feeling a lot better.  My aches and pains have diminished considerably and because of that I'm feeling lighter on my feet.  I'm going to continue with that positive train of thought while I go drink my coffee.  Y'all have a great morning!

• Administrators

Day 4 here. So far so good. I have warned my family that this weekend could bring out the worst in me! lol  Also I kind of feel like if I can get through this weekend at home with my family snacking all around me, I can do anything!

Just make sure your meals are nice and hearty and satisfying and then pull out the teapot and make some compliant tea. Remind yourself the whole time that you are treating yourself well! Have a nice weekend!

Well, I will be starting over tomorrow.  I was away from the house from 6:55am to 9:30pm today, and was not able to plan my food as well as I wanted to.  Rather than go hungry, I decided to make do as well as I could.  That still meant having some mayonnaise, a little of a salad dressing that I'm sure had sugar in it, "buttery spread," and some peas.  Sigh.  So I will work on planning my eating better, and go back to the drawing board.

While I'm at it, is there a list of "safe" meals at various fast-food restaurants somewhere?

ThyPeace, funeral luncheons are really hard to manage.  I should have thought of that ahead of time.

Today is day 5 for me and I'm struggling a little bit.  I'm having a serious pitty party for myself over not having coconut sugar and Silk creamer in my coffee.  I used to say the best thing about going to bed was knowing that I would get that cup of coffee soon.  Oh well, bottoms up with the black coffee!  I'm hoping tomorrow will be different.  Overall I'm feeling a lot better.  My aches and pains have diminished considerably and because of that I'm feeling lighter on my feet.  I'm going to continue with that positive train of thought while I go drink my coffee.  Y'all have a great morning!

Hey Tina --  How's the pity party?  I know how you feel!  A creamy, warm, sweet drink?  I think our biology says that it equal to the safest, coziest place in the world.  I make do with black coffee and black tea most of the time, and will also use a thick, rich homemade broth sometimes.  Even though it's salty instead of sweet, it satisfies me pretty well.

Glad that the aches and pains are diminishing!  I hope that continues.

ThyPeace, sore calves for me -- worked out, walked down 100 stairs, then walked a long way in heels.  Not sure what did it, but they calves say they've had enough.

Oh, I bet. Where I live funeral luncheons are seas of butter, sour cream, pasta and Velveeta.

There was cheese on almost everything, and since I'm lactose intolerant, the remaining choices were the best I could do.  I can eat around pasta and other breads, but the sauces are really tough.

ThyPeace, grew up in Wisconsin, so misses all things dairy.

Archived