Starting today, August 24

Banquo

It sounds odd, but I actually heard about Whole30 on a board devoted to gourmet cooking and restaurants. As an avid gastronome I love to eat and cook about as many things as I can get my hands on, and this has been an important hobby for me all my adult life. I have a similar affinity for just about any form of alcohol. If it weren't for good genes I probably would look like Orson Welles. But I've always been slim, even without exercising. Still, middle age is catching up with me, and I'd like to use Whole30 as a jump start to get rid of some bad habits that have started to show themselves in the usual places.

I do most of the cooking for our family of four and, except for butter, basically cook along the lines of Whole30 already. So, as far as dinner is concerned, I don't think meal planning will be all that difficult for me. Getting enough calories per day is another matter. I usually don't even eat breakfast and often skip lunch. This mostly nocturnal eating pattern probably leads me to gorge when I do have those meals (especially lunch), and then to snack a lot after dinner. Cheese and savory snacks of all kinds are my weakness, though lately I've started to have a sweet tooth, which I never had in the halcyon days of my youth. Thankfully, I've never liked soda.

So I think logistics will be a larger challenge for me than the actual shift in ingredients. I'm also trying to pair this effort with a modest exercise regimen. I've never exercised regulary and I hate doing it, so I think that will be harder than the Whole30. We'll see.

A question for you veterans: What is the logic behind the restriction on legumes? Is it just a carb thing?

Hi Banquo. I'm just winding up day 7, and the exercise part surprised me. I ended up at the gym twice this week. Today started out with a migraine (a first for me...could have done without that), but this evening I had a real urge to get out and take a walk in the neighborhood. Nothing strenuous, but still more than I've been doing in quite a while. That's really new for me. I've trained to walk in 1/2 marathons before, which involves getting out and walking 3-4 times a week, but I've never actually *wanted* to exercise before. Apparently, when my system isn't all gummed up with hormones giving each other countermanding orders, my body really does know what's good for it and makes sure to get it. Hope that happens for you, too. It's way easier to exercise when it's due to internal prompting rather than guilt tripping and/or willpower.

A question for you veterans: What is the logic behind the restriction on legumes? Is it just a carb thing?

The legumes are not just about carbs - I don't have the details close to hand, but I know that legumes are tough on your digestive system. They are seeds, and were designed by nature to pass thru the digestive system intact so that they would ultimately be...expelled... and thus planted.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in soon on this.

I hope you start a log down in the Community section of the forum - I'd love to see what you're cooking!

Archived