Severe insomnia

Hi! I'm on Day 14 of the Whole30 program, and I have severe insomnia. It began almost immediately after my beginning the program, and it has become progressively worse over the course of the last two weeks. I was a clean eater before I began the program. The main dietary changes for me were cutting dairy completely out (I would have the occasional goat cheese on my salad before starting Whole30), decreasing my sugar intake (it was already low but not as compliant as Whole30 demands) and stopping all grains (I ate oatmeal, quinoa and the occasional gluten free pasta).

Last night was so bad that I am considering stopping Whole30. I've read the article about what to expect during your Whole30, and I haven't experienced most of the things on the list. I had a headache on Day 2; I really wanted a glass of wine on Days 3 & 4. I've had a little bloating. But mostly I just don't sleep well. I toss and turn; I have had weird dreams (not of food); I wake up constantly throughout the night; sometimes I wake up at 2 a.m. and can't go back to sleep. It can't be anxiety because I take a prescription anxiety medication. Before starting Whole30, I slept very well.

Any suggestions? This is starting to affect my ability to get up and go to work. I called my boss and told him I was going to be late today because of the insomnia. I'm having a hard time getting moving this morning.

During my w30 i had to decrease my anxiety med dosage bcz it had become more than I needed (i was also more or less a clean eater before w30, kinda like you describe). I went on for w90 and at the end, i was able to stop the meds! Now it's been about 9 months and i still don't need them (since w90 I've maintained healthy eating by tweaking the strictness of w30 rules to fit in with my specific needs, but i did not go back to sugar, grains, gluten or dairy)

Okay a couple of things for you to think about

1)  Some people sleep better when they eat starchy veggies later on in the day.  So try having a starchy veggie with your dinner (if you haven't already)

2)  How is your nut consumption - I personally cannot eat any nuts otherwise it gives me a rotten nights sleep.  I know this sounds funny.

3)  Have you thought about taking a magnesium supplement?  Insomnia is a sign for magnesium deficiency in many people.  Most of us do not get enough of it in our diet.  We recommend Natural Calm (unflavoured) around these parts. 

Thanks for the advice. I will look at reducing my medication and adding a magnesium supplement.

I typically don't eat starchy veggies late in the day. I typically have green veggies and salads with a protein and fat at dinner (last night was bunless hamburger with bacon and avocado, grilled asparagus and small green salad). I honestly have not been eating that many nuts, other than the occasional almond butter with an apple. 

Runnerchick70, wondering if you've had any success in staying asleep?

Day 20 here and the past few nights have been horrible! I've been waking at 1:30 or 2am convinced that it's 6am and time to get up! My body is so ready to start the day after just a few hours of sleep. Then I spend the rest of the night waking up every hour or so until 5:30 or 6. I don't actually wake up exhausted and I'm making it through the day fine, but I know I need the rest. Typically I'm a 8-9 hour deep sleeper and I miss it!

I haven't had caffeine in over a year, typically eat a Paleo diet (2+ years) but this is my first Whole30, and have been eating my sweet potatoes at dinner for starch. 

Carlaccini, the only thing I can think of is nuts. I made a trail mix this weekend with raw cashews, pistachios, and almonds and have been eating it the past few days. So I'll cut those out and see if it helps? Anybody have any idea why nuts may cause insomnia??

Archived