Raw Organic Honey?

FluffyChenille

I realize that raw honey is non compliant on the Whole 30 programs. That said, is it because it is "sweet" and considered a sugar? I am curious because it is so healthy and it is a natural food source, not processed. Not only is it healthy but it can help with infections, colds and the flu. I see that Kombucha tea, that contains sugar is allowed due to it's probiotic properties, yet honey, which also has probiotic properties is not allowed. I would think that honey is healthier then Kombucha tea. Only thing I can think of why it is not allowed is that maybe it interferes with our sugar cravings...not allowing our body to lose the craving. And, it is likely that people would use it in place of all the sweet things they used to eat. 

Only thing I can think of why it is not allowed is that maybe it interferes with our sugar cravings...not allowing our body to lose the craving. And, it is likely that people would use it in place of all the sweet things they used to eat.

Yep, keeps feeding the sugar dragon.

I realize that raw honey is non compliant on the Whole 30 programs. That said, is it because it is "sweet" and considered a sugar? I am curious because it is so healthy and it is a natural food source, not processed. Not only is it healthy but it can help with infections, colds and the flu. I see that Kombucha tea, that contains sugar is allowed due to it's probiotic properties, yet honey, which also has probiotic properties is not allowed. I would think that honey is healthier then Kombucha tea. Only thing I can think of why it is not allowed is that maybe it interferes with our sugar cravings...not allowing our body to lose the craving. And, it is likely that people would use it in place of all the sweet things they used to eat. 

Raw Honey is considered sugar because it is sugar. All added sweeteners are off the rules for Whole30. Kombucha uses sugar in the first ferment to feed the SCOBY and that sugar is gone when the process is completed correctly. An unflavored kombucha is not sweet at all. If sugar is added in second ferment then it is not allowed to be consumed.

Yes there are health benefits to consuming raw honey in moderation especially if it is local. However for the Whole30 purposes we want to eliminate all sugar to allow for our taste buds to re-acclimate to the way real food tastes. What you do after Whole30 is up to you.

Kombucha tea is different.  Not all Kombucha tea is compliant.

Sugar is added during the first ferment period - this is when the bacteria culture eats up the sugar.  When the bacterial culture is finished (SCOBY) there is very little sugar left.  You are basically left with something that smells of vinegar and tastes very similar to Apple cider vinegar - very faintly sweet.  After the second ferment - this is where fruit juices and flavourings are added.  Some companies add sugar during the second ferment.  These teas are not compliant.

The bottom line is that honey is very sweet.  Weather we be eating sugar, coconut sugar, xylitol, or honey our insulin responses remains the same.  It is a 30 day program with rules.  One of the rules is to eliminate sugar and any sweeteners.  This includes honey.  It is only 30 days.

Thanks for your reply. I know it's only 30 days. I am living it! LOL  Not missing sugar actually and I am doing pretty well with the elimination. I was simply curious about this because I use honey for colds. It's not about wanting something sweet for me personally. I have always used honey for sore throats, colds and allergies. I can live without it for 30 days. 

Archived