Half Marathon Soon, Low Energy

dfox

Kayla, 

Be careful believing too strongly in the fructose and salt. As a triathlete myself I know where you are coming from. Gatorade is all simple sugar, which is not a good fuel because it delays gastric emptying and causes insulin spikes. Gatorade is also carbohydrate hypertonic and very high in sodium, esp. the new endurance formula. Besides NaCl the body needs K, Ca, Mg, Mn, which table salt doesn't provide. BTW, the optimum Na:K ratio is 4:1. Studies recommended that athletes take in 80-240mg sodium while training and racing, finding your requirement via trial and error. Unfit or unacclimatized athletes may need to increase sodium and potassium intake in hot conditions. The best carbs while training are complex, i.e. maltodextrin, in an isotonic solution (280-300 mOsm). There are studies that show an increased absorption rate with maltodextrin-fructose solutions, but these are limited to hypotonic solutions. The body can really only absorb 100-200 cal/hr while exercising (higher on the bike, lower on the run), although this is needs to be increased for lower intensity, ultra-distance events. BTW, the body can only absorb water at a max rate of 750ml/hr. Some profuse sweaters may be able to take in more in hot conditions. On the run you may find that 300-500ml/hr is max.

/Howie Nordström

Hammer Nutrition Ambassador & Sponsored Athlete

www.facebook.com/h.nordstrom.triathlete 

@HowieTriathlete

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey,

I am not sure if you are drinking coffee or not, but I am a big fan of a fatty coffee for breakfast.  For example, having coffee with 1 tablespoon of MCT oil (essentially the fat associated with coconut oil).  I also use 2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream in my coffee with the MCT oil.  Some folks like using ghee instead.

This has done wonders for me, and gives me a ton of energy needed to do a long run, or hard workout.  It also allows me to do intermittent fasting until lunch.

Give it a try.  I ran 8 miles on Sunday and felt like I could have run 10 more.

Hey,

I am not sure if you are drinking coffee or not, but I am a big fan of a fatty coffee for breakfast.  For example, having coffee with 1 tablespoon of MCT oil (essentially the fat associated with coconut oil).  I also use 2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream in my coffee with the MCT oil.  Some folks like using ghee instead.

This has done wonders for me, and gives me a ton of energy needed to do a long run, or hard workout.  It also allows me to do intermittent fasting until lunch.

This would be out on a Whole30 due to the no dairy rule.

Hey,

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/mct-oil-the-coconut-oil-dregs/

Thanks so much for this timely article.   I tried some of this MCT Liquid CO and I felt queasy every time I had some.  It's not worth a hoot and now, I know why.   Thanks again.   I'll polish the soles of my shoes with it.   

:D  :P  :D 

Yeah, most people I know who have tried it (myself included) report nausea & the Big D...  :o Perhaps that's why it's (allegedly) so good for weight loss , 'cos you end up spending half your day in the bathroom with no time or desire to eat!!  ;)

:D  :P  :D 

Yeah, most people I know who have tried it (myself included) report nausea & the Big D...  :o Perhaps that's why it's (allegedly) so good for weight loss , 'cos you end up spending half your day in the bathroom with no time or desire to eat!!  ;)

I got diamonds on the soles of my shoes.  patpat-dance-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?1

You don't need to use the heavy whipping cream, that is optional.  And if you are not comfortable with MCT oil, you can use Coconut oil, works the same way.  And oh yeah, if you use too much, you will be running to the bathroom.  Start with a teaspoon, then add more.  

Archived