Kmlynne's Whole 30: 2015

Kmlynne

Jan 14 - Day 1

I am back again!  I have half-heartedly tried to start another w30 over the last couple of weeks and decided that I should hop back on the forum for some accountability.  Of course the first thing I did was to look up my friend, Brewer5, and was so happy to see she is in the midst of a w30 herself!

I was re-reading my logs from my first w30 (that was just over 100 day) that ended last august.  In September, Brewer5 and I did another w30 (which I didn't quite complete).  I did continue logging into October, following a "loose" w30 (following the basic plan but not worrying about added sugar).  So, why did I quit?  ....and now come back?

During my first w30, I struggled off and on with abdominal pain.  At first, I believed that it was something I was eating - or at least the change in my diet.  With the help of Brewer5, I began to look at fodmaps.  I thought that I had narrowed it down to bell peppers, but I still had some pain off and on.  At one point, my doctor and I both felt that it was a kidney stone.  In early November, I visited my doctor (regular checkup) and we talked about the abdominal pain.  He was concerned and sent me for some tests.  Long story short:  after bloodwork, a CT scan, MRI, colonoscopy, GI and GYN consult (including mammogram and hip xray - not related), I ended up having a hysterectomy.  There was concern for some time for endometrial or unterine cancer but (praise God) the biospy was negative.  I did have some bowel adhesions that my GYN took care of while he was "in there".  The only thing that we didn't do anything with was the 4-5 stones in each kidney.  Those, we will just be keeping an eye on and will take care of if they cause problems.  (To be honest, after everything else, I just wasnt' up to doing more).

In all honesty, when I was told that I needed and immediate Gyn consult because the CT Scan was suspicious for cancer, I completely gave up trying to be healthy.  I suppose that my brain automatically switched to "why bother" mode.  I emotions were all over the place and I went right back to old habits.  I figured that I should "enjoy" myself....  and I really "enjoyed" the holidays.  By the time that I finally got the biopsy results on Dec 31, I had gained back quite a bit of weight and was not feeling as good as I once was.  It was time to change. 

Unfortunately, life did not cooperate and I ended up making a trip to St Louis for a week due to the death of my uncle.  Emotions led the way again and I just couldn't focus on healthy eating.  Yes, I am an emotional eater - and head right to the junk food, chips and dips, and ice cream.  Once back from OOT, I made several gallant efforts, but the sugar cravings made me cave in the evenings.  So, I am back here for the accountability!!!!!!

After 4 weeks of recovery, I was able to start walking again.  For some extra motivation, I joined a "2015 in 2015" run/walk challenge.  (What have I gotten myself into?)  I have been averaging 3-4 miles a day walking (yes this needs to increase if I am going to meet my goal) and actually walked 6 miles yesterday.  Today, I ended up taking a day off (muscles sore) but will be back to walking tomorrow.  

Another challenge that I have signed up for: a Biggest Loser contest at work.  It is from Jan5 until June 1.  Hoping I win but the most important thing for me is being healthy!  

Here's to w138!

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posting so I can follow along, dear friend.  :)  

Your goals are all admirable... the 2015 miles -- wow!  The Biggest Loser at work -- very cool.

But what I wish for you the most is:  Peace.  That inner peace that comes from feeling g.o.o.d. and losing the guilt and the feelings of being out-of-control.

You will be there SOON, sister.  Keep up the great work!  

Day 2

Six miles walked this am

M1 (PreWO): banana, spoonful of sunflower bitter

M2: leftover butternut squash and apple hash, 3 fried eggs

M3: goat chops, mushrooms Diablo (from the Frugal Paleo Cookbook), and steamed broccoli, bell pepper and carrots

M4: (planned) banana, sunflower butter and coconut flakes

My first thought when I woke up this morning:  "Oh, my head!"  I realized that the dreaded headache had started yesterday afternoon and has continued into today. Oh well, I guess that just goes to show how much sugar I was really eating!

Today and tomorrow, I have NOTHING on my calendar!  After looking at the weather report, I am going to save my walk for this afternoon so that I can go outside.   So, I had a much deserved sleep in this morning.  I have to admit that I am not looking forward to getting back to the real world (going back to work) next week :(  but I will definately enjoy today and tomorrow.

Yesterday, I spent about an hour in the kitchen making several things from the Frugal Paleo Cookbook.  I am loving this cookbook!   My last w30, I cooked most things from Well Fed and Well Fed 2 - and I love the recipes in them.  During my trip to St Louis, my cousin had shown me this new book that she had just bought.  I made so many comments about the recipes that she gave me the book!  So far, I have enjoyed everything that I have made.  I did go out of my comfort zone and bought some beef liver to make a pate.  I have had pate when out in restaurants, but the look and smell of liver, well......  But I will give it a shot and see how I like it.  

M1:  chorizo and chicken stew (Frugal Paleo Cookbook) with sliced radish and avocado

----------------------------------------

M2:  sweet potato topped with compliant spaghetti sauce with ground venison

Made it on a walk today - the weather was gorgeous!  Had to leave one puppy at home (she blew out her knee while I was in St Louis), so just had one companion with me.  Unfortunately, after 5 miles, I had to cut the walk short due to a turned ankle.  Although it really is hurting right now, I have great hopes that it will be ok in the morning for another walk....  Got to get those miles in :)

------------------------------------------

I was all ready to have a repeat of meal 1 but DS turned up his nose.....  said he just didnt feel like soup.  Since he was edging toward something not so healthy and he isn't working tonight, I got myself up to make something.  (He works at McDonalds about 4 nights a week, and eats his dinner there - even though I have packed things for him, he just cant pass up the burgers).

M3:  broccoli (steamed with garlic and red pepper flakes), country sausage (garlic and rosemary - no added sugar), and fried eggs and 1/2 avocado sliced

Day 4

Woke again with the dratted headache (in all actuality it has never gone away).  Just couldn't get myself to get up and ended up laying in bed until almost 10 (didn't wake up until 830).  Tiger Blood where are you?  I know that its too early, and this is just the lull before the energy picks up, but I really wish is would hurry!  Guess I wasn't eating as good as I was making myself believe I was :)

Finally got up with the idea that if I walked at least 4 miles today, I would treat myself to a movie.  So, I packed my lunch in containers that would fit in my fanny pack and headed out.  It was cold again and I still cant find my gloves so I headed back to the mall.  Four miles down just in time for the movie to start.  I settled myself in my seat and pulled out my carrot sticks.  I realized that I wasn't missing the popcorn all that much :)  Yeah for me!  

M1: (preWO) 3 boiled eggs with guac

M2:  carrot sticks and guac, banana and blueberries, boiled egg, chicken apple sausage

Now I am home and the beagle must be feeling better (even though she is still limping) since I found trash strewn across the house - again......  fortunately, there were only the egg shells in there and they were easy to sweep up!

M3:  chicken and chorizo stew

Day 5 - a Rest Day

Sunday is always a busy (read long) day for me.  As much as the afternoon weather was trying to lure me into taking a long walk, I decided to try to get a nap before heading to work.  This was my first shift back after being off for 5 1/2 weeks.  (Hmmmm....  I wonder what else needs taking out so I can get some more time off.....)

A nap didn't go over too well.  My body had gotten used to going to bed around 10pm and getting up at 7am (or later).  I suppose I more or less MADE myself sleep, so it wasn't really restful - full of thoughts and dreams and plans....  but I tried.

Once at work, I realized part of why I was feeling so good for the last couple of weeks.  A couple of things made my stress levels go up about a million points.  A text with a good friend, some deep breaths, and lots of reminding myself that stressing just isn't worth it and I am feeling a little bit better about it all.  I am going to have to stay after work in the morning to talk with my manager - here's hoping that goes well.

M1:  chicken and chorizo stew with sliced radish and avocado

M2:  out to eat at chinese food resturaunt - steamed chicken and veggies to which I added tessamaes dressing (the rest of the group all got something different and shared....  that was hard...)

M3:  chicken and chorizo stew with sliced radish adn avocado.  (I also packed a mixed green salad to have with - but since it took me a grand total of 2.5 hours to get the soup in me....  well, the salad will have to wait until tomorrow.

Thanks Brewer5!  All is well - not planning on removing anything soon - but it was a thought! :P

I was trying to decide this morning as I got off work, whether to go for a walk (but I was really, really tired) or stay late and talk to my manager.  Fortunately, she was in early this morning and we had a great hour long chat.  One of the things she brought up (before I had a chance to) was one of the things that notched up my stress level.  Go figure!  So, changes are coming at work - they will be slow, and there will be setbacks, but things should be getting a little bit better.  (I may be all day shift by the end of march, back to nights in the summer for a coworkers maternity leave, then back to days again!)  In light of that, I didn't bring up a couple of the other things that stressed me - they are things that will be taken care of.

Day 6 - The day of Broken Rules

Yes, I broke rules today.  Despite the broken rules, I was still compliant, felt good and did the best walk that I can remember.  

So, the broken rules:  eat veggies with every meal, eat within one hour of waking, eat pre and post wo snacks with strenuous activity, don't eat within and hour and a half of going to bed.....

I started out the day leaving work 2.5 hours later than normal.  I was too busy at work to get a morning meal and was hungry as I was driving home at 10 am, so I dug in my lunch box and ate what I could while driving.  Home put me right to bed where I slept about 5 hours.  As I was hoping to be up and out by 2pm and it was now after 3, well....  I ran out of the house without eating.  Old habits die hard and my first thought was about stopping at a drive thru - even thinking through what I could get that would be compliant.  In the end, I decided that since I wasn't hungry at all, I would go ahead and do my walk, then grab something to eat when I went home to change.

My walk was one of the highlights of my day!!!!!    I.am.not.a.runner. This has been in my head for more years than I can remember. I love to walk and hike - especially trail hiking. Why am I not a runner? 4 total surgeries on one knee, 2 on the other. Over a hundred pounds overweight..... There is no way this body can run. Until today. I was feeling G.O.O.D. when I started my walk today. I used the first mile to warm up and stretch out. Then I kicked it into gear. Ready for it?

Miles 2 and 3 - 14 minute miles.
Miles 4,5,6, 7 and 8 - 12 minute miles! (mile 7 was 12:01 - wish I hadn't stopped to pet that dog - might have broken into an 11 min mile!)  Mile 8 was supposed to be my warm down - was aiming for a 20 min mile.  However, when mile 7 came so close to breaking that 12 min barrier, I really pushed myself.  I was out of steam.  I still did well, but even with some jogging (yes, jogging) I ended with 12:30.  

Granted, most was walking - but I suddenly found myself jogging! I got into a pattern - .25 mile walk, 10 yards jog - well, something like that. But - it's a start!    There were several races that I had looked at but the 90 min time constraint for a 10K made me feel like it would be impossible for me.  After today, I realized that maybe some 5K or 10K races this year might not be so improbable.

I had gotten so excited about the mile splits that my 6 mile walk turned into 8 miles, and I was suddenly pushing time to get home to change before my meeting at church tonight.  In the end, traffic was really bad and I found myself at church in all my sweaty glory :) and still hadn't eaten.  (and believe it or not, I really wasn't hungry).  

Finally, I made it home about 8pm.  Suddenly the hunger was there in full force!!!!!  I dug in the fridge and made a huge meal for myself - three different veggies (quite a feat with only one burner) and some chicken.  Oh, it was so good!  

Overall, I was very proud of myself today - feeling G.O.O.D. and confident - like I could conquer the world  :D Now, off to bed I go - its a new day tomorrow!

M1:  chicken apple sausage, 2 boiled eggs

M2:  butternut apple hash, mushrooms diavolo, sauteed spinach, 2 chicken thighs.

Dessert (is that a bad word?):  6 prunes (I was really craving something sweet and it hit the spot)

Day 7

Long day today :)

Quick Recap:  up, ate m1, walked 4 miles :) (we need a sweaty icon), went to gym to shower  ^_^ , ran errands and talked to mom on phone  :wub: and ate m2 in car, CPR class  <_< , walked another 4 miles, home for M3, spent 4 hours getting caught up on church work - still have more to go but I am knackered and going to bed :P .  

M1:  butternut/apple hash, 3 fried eggs

M2:  mixed green salad with tomato, blueberries, avocado, chicken/apple sausage and tessamaes dressing

M3:  chicken/chorizo stew (the last of it  :( )

As I type this (while the electric blanket is warming my bed), I am feeling a little hungry - not surprised, but not going to "snack" this late.  Will just have to have a good breakfast in the am.  Good night all!

Day 8 -

Wow, the first week went by really quickly!  I hope that it continues to go quickly!  Especially since I have decided to make this a w143! :blink:   As I mentioned on day 1, I am signed up for a Biggest Loser at work.  Yes, I know this is not a weight loss diet.  That being said, this is an eatin lifestyle that keeps me accountable, fueled, and healthy.  I may decided later to let the strictness of the w30 slide and move into a post w30 aspect, but I am hoping not. 

Today, I was tired.  I knew that I had stayed up too late last night, but the work had to get done.  This morning, I made it up with my daughter to make her breakfast and see her off to school.  Then I went back to bed.  I spent about an hour reading emails, facebook and this forum then fell back to sleep.  I didn't wake up until 1030am.  I literally had to make myself get out of bed and head out for my walk (I did eat m1 first).  My walk was slow.  My feet hurt, my hips hurt.  I felt like I had no energy.  To top it off, it was cold out and started snowing about a mile in.  I made 3.5 miles before I gave up.  Went grocery shopping on my way home.  Once home, I pulled myself together long enough to eat m2 while watching Masterchef Jr (man, those kids can cook) then went back to bed.  I never really slept, just laid there like a lump thinking about all those things I should be doing.  An early dinner, quick shower and I was back out the door to drop the church paperwork off with the pastor and I was off to work.  I am still feeling tired and am hoping to make it through the night :)

Was trying to figure out why I was so tired....  maybe the 25 miles I walked/ran over the last three days might have something to do with it :rolleyes: then add in church work and the real work (4x12 hr shifts plus four hours in a CPR renewal).  I hit the ground running - literally - this week and it is catching up with me!

M1:  3 eggs scrambled in avocado oil, left over mushroom diavolo

M2:  mixed green salad with carrots, radish, blueberries, 1/2 orange, tomato - topped with tessamaes dressing - followed by 1/3 apple with sunbutter (and there were a couple goat chops in the salad)

M3:  mashed potatos (with ghee), sauerkraut cooked with apple and caraway, bratwurt cooked in a cider reduction with onions

Since this is a work night, I have packed to eat in the morning:

Todays M4 (or tomorrows meal 1 - however you want to look at it):  steamed mixed veggies, marinara sauce with ground venison, 3 eggs scrambled in avocado oil

Karen, you really go, go, go and then you added all this walking on top of it! Yes, sounds like you needed a day of rest. Did you really have no protein with your lunch, or am I missing it? You need that with each meal to help recover from all your awesomeness. ;)

. Did you really have no protein with your lunch, or am I missing it? You need that with each meal to help recover from all your awesomeness. ;)

Oops - I did - will edit the post.  I had a couple of goat chops left in the fridge from earlier in the week that needed to be eaten.  Sliced them really thin and threw them in the salad.  Good catch!

Day 9

Home from work and in bed by 8am.  I did eat my meal one that I mentioned in my last post about 5 am.  I had dogs out/in and fed, teeth brushed, face washed and in the bed and asleep by 815!  The alarm went off WAY too early today but I had work to do.  Unfortunately, since I was on a time constraint (deadline), if something could go wrong, it did.  However, things finally started going right and I finished in time to get a quick walk in.  I have noticed that my mile splits have been slowing as the week goes on.  At first, I was getting frustrated and disappointed with myself - after all, on monday I was walking/running 12 min miles and today I was pushing to do 16/17 min miles.  Then I gave myself a reality check.  Although I was hiking quite a bit last year, I wasn't walking every day.  I also quit exercizing sometime last fall - my last mapmywalk entry was in september.  Since then I was basically sedentary.  Then, I had major surgery in December.  After the surgery, I really didn't do anything.  In the last two weeks, I have clocked 87 miles.  Now wonder my muscles are fatigued!  I had mentioned on day 4 that I couldn't wait for the Tiger Blood to kick in so that I would have energy.....  I guess it really has, and the poor tiger is just having trouble keeping up with me!  

So, I sit here typing this, watching the biggest loser.  Today is when they show the hightlight videos of the top 4 contestants.  I am in tears.  I want to be that. Two quotes stand out to me:  "Tell your mind to get out of your body's way" - Bob Harper  and "You don't have to be great to start, but you do have to start to be great" - Famous Football player (sorry - forgot his name).  Last monday, I posted on facebook how I am not a runner - but I started running.  550+ people liked it, over 50 people commented with encouragement.  Wow.  

"The journey is long, the journey is hard, but he journey is ALWAYS worth it" - Sonya

....and it is!

M1:  (posted yesterday) - scrambled eggs, steamed mixed veg, marinara sauce with ground venison

M2:  sausage and veg hash (sweet potato, onion, mushroom, spinach) with 2 fried eggs - all cooked in avocado oil and lard, 5 prunes

M3:  banana and sunbutter

Day 10

Up early for work this am.... Fortunately, a coworker from the neighboring hospital covered half my shift for me. That meant I was able to go to the gym with my daughter (treadmill isn't as fun as walking outside - but as it was pouring with rain....well, that doesn't make for a fun run either) AND go out to dinner with the church ladies.

Dinner out was fun - The Melting Pot. When I realized I was going to be able to go, I was sooooo excited - then I thought, what am I going to eat? Called the resturaunt ahead of time and came up with a gameplay (see below). Missing out on the chocolate fondue was the hardest (well, maybe the cheese was harder - I love cheese). But I persevered, and didn't walk out with an aching tummy like some of the others :)

M1: sweetpotato veg hash with sausage and two fried eggs

M2: brat, mashed potato, sauerkraut

M3: course one: while everyone ate cheese fondue, I ate all their apple slices :)

Course two: house salad with no cheese, croutons, or dressing

Course three: entree - The Classic - subbed out bbq'd pork for herbed chicken (since no one could tell me what was in the rub) and subbed out the teriyaki steak for peppered angus, which gave me: peppered steak, herbed chicken and white pacific shrimp. All cooked in the Caribbean Moho cooking liquid (assured this was gluten free, soy free, etc - although I wouldn't bet against some accidental sugar here). Oh - and I ate most, if not all the mushrooms and broccoli :)

Course four: fruit plate with pineapple, strawberries and banana

Overall, I think I did quite well!

Good night all - it's going to be another early morning!

Day 11

Today was a long day at work and I was tired.  I was tired when I went to bed last night (too late) and still tired when the alarm went off.  At work, I was too tired to even "pace" my unit (it's only 25 paces long, so can't really say that I "walk" it!) as I have been doing every couple hours.  I think I only got a total of 3000 steps in today  :rolleyes:

When I got up this morning, I was so tired and had nothing prepared in the fridge so just grabbed what I could and had only packed two meals.  I have just run out of time this week in preparing more food.  Too much on my plate (so to speak).  

OK - so enough whining!!!!  Overall, I have done well!  I have stayed compliant and am not struggling with cravings like I did last year on my first w30.  I have tremendously increased my activity exercise level.  I have returned to work and had 52 scheduled hours.  On top of all that, I had quite a bit of work to do at the church this week.  

M1:  mashed potato, brats, sauerkraut (this is the last of it)

M2:  mixed green salad (from the cafeteria salad bar) with cucumber, pineapple, egg, broccoli and a cut up pork chop (from home) with tessamaes dressing.  bowl of tomato basil soup

I hadn't packed a third meal and by the time I had gotten home I was HUNGRY.  I just started raiding the fridge and throwing things in a pan.  Made a huge veg mix - enough to make three meals!  

M3:  veg mix (asparagus, onion, mushrooms, sweet potato, and spinach with sausage-2 links for 3 meals)  3 fried eggs, guacamole

Day 12

Not a lot going on today.  Slept in until 830 before heading off to church.  After church and lunch I made a quick stop at the grocery store, then came home for an afternoon of cooking.  I have a couple of night shifts coming up and needing to get some food prepared.  In the crock pot is Korean Short ribs (I used country pork ribs instead of beef short ribs).  Also cooked - mashed rutabaga, mushroom diavolo and West African Chicken Stew (Well Fed 2).  

On thing that I am planning, as I finish the food that I currently have in the house, I think I am going to try to eat a little bit lower carb.  If I do eat higher carb veggies, I am going to plan to have them in the morning.  I have been noticing (and remembering from my first w30) that I do tend to head for the higher carb veggies.  I think before, I was using the fruits and high carb veg to replace my sugars.  Since the sugar dragon doesn't seem to be that bad this time around, maybe it is time to move away from some of the natural sugars also.  I'll see how it goes.  It is a good thought and plan, but when life gets in the way and I am busy....  as long as I stay compliant  :P

I think that I am gettig ready to have more stress in my life.  I am waiting for some information from the bank, but I may finally no longer be "upside down' in my mortgage.  If this is true - and I can sell my house for what I owe, I might look at moving elsewhere.....  It's alot to take in!  In some ways, I love my house and have done so much work on it to make it mine.  The thought of starting over is a bit daunting.  I am making a list of all the things that I love about my house and would have to have in a new house.  (of course it weighs against some of the reasons I want to move - ie my ex lives right behind me right now) There are also some things that I must have to "entice" me to move - a garage, trails/sidewalks etc so that I don't have to drive somewhere whenever I wanted to walk.....  DD just laughs at me and tells me that I have to much on my "must have" list.  I figure that if I am going to move (and it will probably be my final move) it must be the perfect place.

M1:  sweet potato/mushroom/onion/asparagus/spinach hash with 3 fried eggs and guacamole

M2:  iceburg lettuce, tomato wedge, one slice cucumber (this was called a salad), steamed broccoli, a few bites of broiled chicken (it was on the menu as a 1/2 chicken, broiled.  was probably a 1.5 pound chicken and was broiled WAY too long).  Not a restaurant I was happy with.

M3:  West African Chicken Stew - Well Fed 2

Karen, we feel that way, too -- that the next house we get, needs to be one we really can see staying in.  We've had 2 houses now that we've had to do an awful lot to...  And still weren't happy with.  We have decided we'd rather have to stay in an apartment or rental house for awhile if we have to, instead of rushing into something that isn't really what we want.

A note about the carbs (you knew I would have a comment, right?)   :lol: :

I see it recommended (and have heard trainers say it at the gym) "If you're going to have carbs, have them in the morning, so you have all day to burn them off."

Another way to look at it, though, is that if you are raising your blood sugar first thing in the morning -- you are going to have more cravings throughout the day as your blood sugar drops and you feel the need to raise it up again.  Kiefer of Carb Nite way over-simplifies things by saying "If it's dark, you can have carbs."  There is much more to the science than that -- but, I just wanted to throw it out there that many people do have better results by keeping their blood sugar more level throughout the day, and then having the carbs at night, if you're going to -- which is when most people crave them anyway.

Archived