Kmlynne's Whole 30: 2015

Kmlynne

Day 13

I didn't sleep very well last night. I laid in bed until after 12 before falling asleep and then woke at 545. Alarm went off at 630 and I got DD off to school (sorry - no snow day). I went back to bed to hopefully sleep as I have to work tonight. Since sleep didn't come, I dragged myself out and to the gym - relay not motivated today. Instead of music, I plugged in a movie and started on the treadmill. 1:40 later and 10k completed, I ran a couple errands and then back home for a shower and change. I am now waiting for DD to come home from school so I can take her to the oral surgeons - surgery on her jaw planned for June (fingers crossed that the dr thinks the Ortho work is where it needs to be).

m1: crock pot pork, spinach and broth

M2: crock pot pork, rutabaga mash, mushrooms discolored

So far I have been lower on my carbs!

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 13 Part 2 :P

Home from the dr appointment much earlier than I thought we would be.  The traffic "gods" were with us and we just breezed down the road.  Amazing considering the raining weather.  I was able to pack my meals, clean up the kitchen and get to bed by 4pm.  It was a bit chilly so I turned on the electric blanket on high.  I must have fallen asleep before I turned it down because I woke up to find myself on the FAR side of the bed (blanket only heats half) all hot and sweaty :blink: .  But I did get a couple of hours of sleep before heading to work.  I was STARVING when I woke up so grabbed a banana to eat in the car as I headed out the door, to be followed by dinner as soon as I get to work.

Work is going to be one of this longer nights - (I really hate to say the Q word - you medical people will know what I am talking about!)  We are also eyeing the snow out the windows, watching our cars get covered.  Hopefully my relief will make it in the morning.  I am so glad that I have remote start - I can actually start my car from the waiting room on the second floor of the hospital!  :wub:

M3: banana, sweet potato hash (same mix as the last couple days) with a couple fried eggs  (carb load galore!)

Day 14

I am getting better at thinking of my "days" from midnight to midnight - despite when I am sleeping.  I am not sure if this is helping with my "meals", but thats just where my head is at right now. 

Saying that, the start of day 14 found me at work.  Not a nice night at all.  Busy.  Bad.  *sigh*  Lets just say that my pedometer had 6000 steps on it from midnight to 7am - and remember, my unit is only 25 paces long.  Home to sleep - which was not good.  I think I got a total of 3 hours before I gave up.  Dog went back to the vet.  She is actually putting some weight on her bad leg, holds it up when she runs....  We are going to take her off the antiinflammatories for now and see how she does.  If she regresses, we will start them again.  Maintenance will include glucosamine supplements for now. 

Even though I was eye burning tired, I still couldn't sleep so I headed to the gym.  An hour and forty minutes and 6 miles later I was heading off to work.  I was soooo hungry that I grabbed some beef jerky (homemade by a friend) and a banana.  Believe it or not, this kept me full for several hours before I ate my last meal at work. 

M1:  West African Chicken Stew

M2:  Spinach, crock pot pork (Korean short ribs)

M3:  beef jerky, banana

M4:  Spinach, crock pot pork, mashed rutabaga, mushrooms diavolo

Over all, very low carb (except for the banana).  I have found that my portions are getting smaller but I needed four meals today.  Due to lack of carbs, more exercise, or just night shift....  Not sure.  I do know however that I have NO cravings - just pleasantly full and hungry (and hungry means I'll eat anything - yes, even fish and broccoli! - but even if I wander through a store when I am hungry, I am not even attracted to the chips!).

Day 15

In my sleep deprived state, I first thought "WoW!  I am half way there!"  ...then I remembered that I was planning on a w143...  well, I am 9.5% done  :P

Struggled to get through the night - I mean, not head bobbing while I am charting kind of struggle - just eyes burning, not wanting to do anything kind of struggle.  Was soooo happy that I was heading home (on time for a change) and was looking forward to being in my bed by 8am.

DS met me at the door (very unusual since he sleeps til noon - wish i was a college student again).  Apparently, I had missed a grand total of 15 phone calls from him (found out my phone had died in my purse).  When he came home from work last night, he showered, and the shower was being very slow to drain.  Then, before he left the bathroom, he used the toilet.  When he flushed, not only was it slow to drain, but it also backed up into the bathtub.  (Yuck).  When he got back to his room in the basement, he found that water was leaking at every joint (practically) from the bathroom to where the pipe exits the house.  As I investigate further, I found that the septic tank had been backing up into the basement storage area.  All I could do was cry.  I was soooo tired and thus was super overwhelmed about everything that had to be done.  The most frustrating thing was that all I could think about was cost and that I had just replaced the septic system 4 years ago.  I knew the tank wasn't due to be pumped out for another year, but.....  

So, I called the companies that helped me last time.  Mike came right out and investigated.  The culprit, fat that had coated the drain pipe and clogged it up (although the septic tank could have used a good pumping too).  Initially, when he looked at the tank and filter, he said that it was in really good shape since nothing had been done to it in 4 years.  (Filter?  I was supposed to clean it every year?  Who knew?)  Anyway, he had to dig out one of the underground access panels to get to the main pipes (house to tank).  The clog was so bad it couldn't be snaked so the pipe had to be cut back about 2 feet.  This helped him snake out the rest of the pipe.  So, I know have minimal drainage - at least enough to flush a toilet once in a while.  Tomorrow, the tank gets pumped out and this sections of the pipe that had to be cut will be fixed.  Apparently, my new lifestyle of eating with healthy fats took its toll on my plumbing.  

This investigation led to some surprising revelations.  First, the vent pipe for the drain is in the basement, where it has been releasing sewer gas into my house for the last 20 years I have been here.  I truly thought it was normal for the vent pipe to be like this - after all, it passed house inspection when I bought the place.  Apparently this is not normal and should have been vented OUTSIDE!  Also, when I had my addition put in 6 years ago, and had to have all the plumbing replaced in the entire house because the cast iron pipes were practically rusted through, the plumber didn't bother to replace the cast iron pipe that went through the basement wall to the septic tank.  He only replaced the plumbing up to the wall of the basement.  On top of that, none of the joints were properly glued.  When there was flowing water, it wasn't that noticeable (but Mike did show me where there had been minor water drops coming from the joints for some time).  Once the pipes filled with standing water, they leaked - like a sieve.  So, once we get the septic working, I will have to have the pipe replaced, all the joints int he household plumbing resealed and the vent rerouted to outside.  On the plus side, I was told that unless I really felt the need to clean up the basement, it might be better to wait until after the pipe/vent work is done since there will be spillage again.

I love my life.

So, finally went to bed at noon and slept tip 4.  I am still tired but now that I am thinking a little more clearly I had a realization.  1.  Usually this combo of things would send me to the kitchen to forage and binge on anything I could get my hands on.  This didn't even cross my mind today.  2.  I was going to skip my workout today so that I could clean.  Instead, I slept for the afternoon, rescheduled a meeting for tonight that I am just not going to have my paperwork together for, and I am going to go to the gym after church tonight.  3.  Once I had some sleep, things weren't as overwhelming as I had thought earlier.  and 4.  This is the only time I wished I had a good husband - so he could take care of all this for me  :rolleyes:

M1:  (eaten at work) - WA Chicken Stew

M2:  spinach, mashed rutabaga, mushrooms diavolo, slow cooked pork, guac.

Apparently, my new lifestyle of eating with healthy fats took its toll on my plumbing. 

Karen, we had to have Roto Rooter come and clean things out last year... and it was due to a HUGE chunk of bacon grease / fat that was stuck in the line somewhere.  He could not believe it and said, "Do you guys eat a lot of bacon?!"  And my husband said, "Well, that depends on what you consider a lot..."  Lol.

We have had to be super diligent about getting fat in the trash can instead of down the drain anymore.  It's not super convenient, but hoping to save ourselves some money and hassle!

So sorry to hear of your mess (just when you were talking of selling it, of course) -- but so glad to see you looking on the bright side and NOT bingeing!  As we all know..... that solves nothing.  Congrats!  :)

Day 15 continued

So, made it to church tonight and then went to the gym. I was surprised at how many people were there at 830 at night. When I left at 1030 pm, the gym was still quite full but it was mostly college kids (it's right on the edge of the campus) and a group of guys all doing the free weight thing. Oh, I wanted to get in there for that but right now it's all I can do to keep my mileage up for the 2015in2025 challenge. It's also been so long since I did weight lifting that I think I would need a trainer to start so I don't hurt myself. There was a time that I could bench my weight.... :P

M3: (after gym) - spinach, mushrooms diavolo, pork, 4 eggs scrambled in olive oil, and guacamole

Day 16

So much for sleeping in.....  

Septic guys came out at 730 am.  Pumped the tank - were quite amazed at the amount of fat floating on top but did say it wasn't the worst they had seen - whew!

Had a fellow come and give me an estimate to clean the junk out of the basement so that I could clean - over 400$.  Might have to "beg" some of my church family with trucks and trailers to come and help me....

Really wasn't hungry this am.  While waiting for the other septic people to call me back (coming back to fix the pipe that had to be cut) I started doing some long overdue computer work (church, taxes, bills, etc) I lost track of time and suddenly it was 1130 so I hustled to the kitchen.  It's hard to decide what to eat when you are not hungry.  I wanted to keep the last few prepared meals for work this weekend.  I might have to do some cooking saturday night after work unless I get to it today - but it would also require a trip to the grocery store....  hmmmm....

I really liked doing my workout in the evening.  I slept like a log last night.  From the exercise, or just from catching up on lost sleep?  Don't know.  I am going to try to get to the gym this evening again.

M1:  3 eggs scrambled with ground pork sausage (homemade) and mushrooms, guac.

Well, 400 rolled around and I still wasn't hungry, but as I was packing meals for the weekend I figured I better eat before I went to work out.  Good times to be had at the gym - two hours 15 minutes on the treadmill equaled 6.7 miles.  No running today - all walking.  Not feeling up to full speed, but plenty of endurance.  I am planning to go back to the gym after I get off work tomorrow evening - but I suppose it will also depend on how busy I am at work.  

Tonight, unless I go to bed early, I am planning to watch the Biggest Loser.  It is finale night.  I am rooting for Sonya to win, if not Thoma.  But, if I am too tired, I will just let it record and watch it monday or tuesday :)

M2:  can of salmon mixed with homemade mayo and dill pickle relish - also, wait for it, TWO Brazil nuts  :D

M3:  planned:  2 chicken apple sausages, 2 eggs fried, and whatever veggies I can scrounge up  :blink:

Day 17

Wow, what a busy day at work!  Unfortunately I think this is becoming the norm rather than the exception.  We have had some really crazy things going on too.  

I am getting some good competition from one of the doctors at work, ie the Biggest Loser.  He has lost a pound more than me (sorry...  I have to weigh weekly for the competition) which probably means a bigger percentage.  Hmmmm...  it's ok tho because I have w30 on my side!!!!  I love the competitiveness, but really overall, it is all about getting healthy.  I know, for the first time, that the competiion is not going to lead me to do stupid things (like juice fasts, etc) to try to lose a lot of weight.  In that respect, I know that I am a winner :)

After work, went straight to the gym and managed to get in a 45 min workout before they closed.  (Why close at 9pm on a friday?)  Got home, went to take a shower and its hardly draining so there must still be an issue with the plumbing/septic.  *sigh*

M1:  west african chicken stew

m2:  spinach, mashed rutabaga, green beans, slo cooker pork

M3:  salmon salad with homemade mayo and dill pickle relish, apple, sunbutter

That would be the frustrating thing about being in a weight-loss competition.  It doesn't matter what way someone does it -- healthy or not healthy -- losing muscle or gaining muscle -- all that matters is that number on the scale.    :rolleyes:   So glad you are past the days of doing crazy things, and you know how to lose weight in a healthy, nourishing way.  It doesn't matter how the contest turns out -- you're already a winner to me.  

Day 18

Up early for work.  Slept like a log and woke about 20 minutes before the alarm.  Felt good :)

I woke up thinking about food - or rather, the fact that I have had fruit and sun-nut butter two evenings in a row.  This has to stop.  It's not that I feel bad, or it's non-compliant, it is just that it is getting to be too much like "dessert". 

I was also also looking at my fitbit dashboard this morning and realized that if I get an 8.5 mile walk in, I will have walked/jogged 150 miles this month!!!!  Wow, something I never thought I could do!  I know that if it wasn't for finding w30 last year, this would not be a reality. B) Since I work 12 hours today, it will be hard, but I plan on making sure I take my breaks today (which I usually work through) and go walking through the hospital.  Then, hopefully will be able to get to the gym for a quick couple of miles before going home.  I can't wait for the warmer weather to come so I can go outside!  I found out that the road around the hospital is just about a mile, so that will give me some good distance when I leave work.  (And yes, I realize that to some, saying that 30 degrees is too cold to go outside is whimpy, but that is just the way I am).

Planned meals today:

M1:  west african chicken stew

M2:  spinach, mashed rutabaga, green beans, slo cooker pork

I have no idea about dinner tonight, and only have one meal in the fridge for tomorrow.  I am working all day tomorrow, and nights on monday.  I think I will have to find something to cook tonight and be prepared to cook more on monday. 

Have a good day all!  - I'll be back later to let you know how things went :P

Day 18 cont

Well, I ate my two meals earlier in the day than I had planned - kept getting hungry....  So I ended up adding M3 while at work.  I knew that I had to get to the grocery store and get home to cook and the thought of waiting until after 8pm to eat....  well, I was too hungry for that.

So, I headed down to the cafeteria at the hospital.  I've always known that the "healthy" food really isn't that healthy.  No different today.  I ended up picking off the salad bar.  The only healthy, w30 options were lean, even on the salad bar.  Pitiful. 

M3:  mixed green salad, sliced black olives, raw broccoli, hard boiled egg.  No dressing.

If I had added everything else, I could have had an "awesome" salad :rolleyes: - canned peach slices (heavy syrup), kidney beans, chickpeas, croutons, bacon bits (imitation), process diced ham, dried cranberries (im sure with added sugar), baby corn, pasta salad, dressing full of sugar and preservatives....  the list goes on.  What a great way to sneak in :ph34r: the not so good stuff and make people think they are eating healthy because its a salad!

Day 18 continued... Some more

Left work late. As I was getting ready to change I went to the waiting room to start my car to warm up, and it wouldn't start. I thought maybe the battery in the remote was dying. Then, as I was walking out, getting closer and closer - still no responce from the remote. Touched the keypad to unlock the car - nada. Dead as the proverbial doornail.

Long story short, a coworker was able to have her son bring us jumper cables. It took 15 minutes of charging the battery to get the car to start. I thought maybe I hadn't shut the door properly, but as I was driving down the road, my butt was getting warm... I had forgotten to turn off the seat heater! Since the car didn't have built in ones, I had bought one that plugged into the "cigarette lighter". Can't belive I did that. 13 hours of trying to warm the seat just depleted my battery - depleted it so badly that I had to reset everything - clock, console, units of measurements, etc.

So, still went to the grocery store, leaving the car running of course and didn't get home til after 9. Needless to say I didn't get much cooking done. I do have one more meal in the fridge for tomorrow and I thought enough ahead to buy a rotisserie chicken tonight (says it's the roasted unflavored kind but it's not a Bare Chicken so I am quite sure there is probably some sugar in there - don't ask, don't tell, right?). A forage through the fridge uncovered the last of the mashed rutabaga and a couple beets to pack for work tomorrow. Tonight's last meal:

M4: rotisserie chicken leg quarter, slo cooker pork - was heading for the apple/sun butter and decided "no"

Let's hope the car starts in the morning

Day 19

Another day at work and no exercise. I am looking forward to being able to go for a long hike tomorrow! (Hope the weather cooperates)

M1: chicken leg quarter, mashed rutabaga, guac

M2: slo cooked pork, mashed rutabaga, green beans, spinach, guac

M3: 2 brats, 3 eggs, onion sauteed in ghee, pistachios

Day 20 of 143!!!!

Today was a great day so far. My only challenge has been finding food to eat since I haven't done a cook day yet. Need to, badly. I suppose I could have cooked more today, but I had other things to accomplish. :)

I slept until 7 this morning (in bed at 2230 last night), when the dog woke me to go out. I went right back to bed and slept again from 730 til 10. I took the pups for a walk - only 2.5 miles since it's the beagles first walk since she hurt her knee. She is walking on it more at home but running down the trail (road), she wasn't using it at all. By the end of 2.5 miles, I could tell she wants to go more, but the muscles on her othe back leg were quivering. Once I dropped them back at home, I went out again on my own to get a total of 10 miles today!

A quick stop at the gym to shower, grocery store run, and home to make dinner. DD is home this week so I spent some time chatting with her. DS was also home between classes, so had a chat with him too. Then dinner. Right now, Cinnamon Beef from Well Fed is simmering on the hot plate. I will take it to work with me tonight.

M1: chicken breast, green beans, guac, apple

M2: 3 slices prosciutto, banana

M3: cinnamon beef with orange gremolatta

Day 21

M1 was eaten at work a bit earlier than I usually do, but I was hungry - probably from the miles I had walked yesterday.  However, it did keep me satisfied until I was home and in bed.  In fact, I really wasn't hungry when I woke up either.   Took the dogs for a walk (the beagle made 3.5 miles today and is putting even more weight on that knee), then got quite a bit of desk work done (taxes are finished!  whew!).  Both kids home for supper tonight so I made a huge pot of taj mahal chicken (well fed2).  After dinner, I headed to the gym and got about 8 miles in tonight.

M1:  2 aidells pineapple bacon sausage, can of green beans

M2:  cinnamon beef stew, orange gremalata

M3:  taj mahal chicken

M4:  prosciotto, banana, sunbutter

Hey Kmlynne! I was reading through my old log from last June and your comments made me wonder how you were doing. I see you're back on the W30 bandwagon! ;) Me, too!!! It's been a journey the past few months for me as well.

I'm on a 100 day sugar detox right now - I started January 5th with a 21DSD and then started a "whole28" this past Sunday. I'm going at least thru April 15th as I'm BOUND & DETERMINED to hit my -100# mark this spring!! :D :D :D

Have you made the Thai Sunbutter Sauce lately? ;)

Take care & best of luck to you on your goals...

Have you made the Thai Sunbutter Sauce lately? ;)

I had totally forgotten about the Thai Snbutter sauce!!!!!  I am going to have to make some in the near future.....  now where did I put that recipe?.....

I am glad to hear from you!  I had found a few friends from previous w30s when I came back, but they seemed to all have finished up their January w30s and I hadn't heard from them lately!  

Good luck on your sugar detox - that is the hardest thing to kick, isn't it?  

100#s?  wow - I want that to be in my future!  Right now I am still working on the ones that I had gained back in the fall...  and the holidays....  anyway - I just know that this is my year!!!!

Day 22

Up to get DD off to school at 630, then back to bed until 10 when I was up to get DS off to school.

Spent almost 2 hours in the basement starting to clean up.  Took two car loads of ruined stuff to the dump.  Had a quick lunch and headed out for a long hike.  By the end of two miles, my feet hurt, my muscles felt weak and i just couldn't get up any umph.  So, I finally told myself, "Self, listen to your body!  It just doesn't want to go anymore!  Take a rest day - don't push, you don't want to get hurt!"  For once, I listened and quit after 3.5 miles.  The question is:  am I feeling this way from not eating enough?  from lack of carbs?  or just from pushing too many miles too quickly (175 miles since jan5, when I walked NOTHING since last october).   Hmmmm.....

This did give me time to run a couple of errands and get my bible study done for the day, so maybe I will get to bed before 11 tonight :)

M1:  Taj mahal chicken stew

M2:  1.5 brats, sauteed onion

M3:  apple, salami

M4:  taj mahal chicken on bed of spinach  (see below)

I don't know if you are actually asking, but I say you are not eating enough in general.  Your middle two "meals" look skimpy to me.  Keep it up, and I am going to request that you post pictures of every meal, every day, so we can see portion sizes.  ;)

Hmmm....  pictures certainly will keep me accountable!

I upped my meals a bit today and this evening I am wishing I had pushed through that walk....  it is not 1030 pm and I have so much energy right now....  Go figure!  But, I am also aware of listening to my body and if it needs rest, I will rest.

Oh - and when I got home from church tonight to eat meal 4, I just wasn't in the mood.  I wanted EGGS.  So, I made a huge omelet instead  :P My DD looked at it and couldn't believe I was going to eat that much!!!!

M4:  4 eggs omelet filled with sautéed mushrooms, onions, spinach and sausage, topped with 2 serving of guac (2 of the wholly guac. single serving containers).  

I had totally forgotten about the Thai Snbutter sauce!!!!!  I am going to have to make some in the near future.....  now where did I put that recipe?.....

I'm hoping to have it out on my blog one of these days so it can be pinned ;)

Here's it copied from my draft:

In a small cup for your food processor or magic bullet, combine:

• lime, 1/2 juiced

• coconut aminos (1T)

• Rice vinegar (1 tsp)

• Minced garlic, 1 clove

• crushed red pepper flakes (1/2 tsp)

• 1/4 cup sunbutter

• {blend this all together}

• 1/4 cup coconut milk (the stuff from the can, all mixed up)

• Blend all together again

• Cover & put in fridge.

Day 23

Up at 630 to get DD off to school, back to bed and slept until 12 - that would be a total of 13 hours!!!! I was also trying to sleep late since I am back to work tonight.

A couple of quick errands and I was off to the gym. I was really thinking about my meals and trying to increase the portions just a tad. Brewer5 - I even took a picture just for you! As I sit here and type this, I realize that it still wasn't quite enough, as I am hungry :) But, I am going to try to stretch it just a little bit since all I have left in my bag is my breakfast.

At the gym today, I felt G.O.O.D. 10 miles accomplished in 2:40. Even when I stopped, I felt that I could have done a little bit more. I hit the ground running when I got to work, and according to the pedometer, added another 5 miles for a total of 16.75 miles walked today (that would be 35,000 steps).

M1: 3 fried eggs, veggie hash (mushrooms, onion and spinach), guacamole

M2: (mid workout) - banana, salami

M3: brats, sauteed onion, veggie hash (as above), guac

M4: taj mahal chicken with spinach

Archived