Kmlynne's Whole 30: 2015

Kmlynne

Well, where is it?  Lol.  I love pictures.

You're very active now, Karen... just keep those meals nice & big if you want to keep going at this pace and not crash and burn.   :)

I think I got it now - I kept forgetting to hit the "attach" button :)

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It all looks yummy.  Thank you for sharing your pic.  :)

Does it look like enough to fuel 17 miles in one day?  Plus all of the other miraculous things you squeeze in?  Hmmm...... I will have to keep an eye on you and make sure you continue to feel G.O.O.D.  ;)

Seriously, very happy for you & keep up the great work.  

Day 24

Home from work. Had a bit of a snafu when I went to get my breakfast. Somehow, I had packed an empty container! So, I waited until I had gotten home and grabbed a compliant but not ideal breakfast.

Slept about 3.5 hours today when I woke and couldn't sleep any longer. Woke with a dull headache - the first one for a while. Was trying to talk myself into getting out for a good workout and finally decided that I just wasn't feeling it. Instead, I decided to make a trip to the grocery store and have a cook day.

On the way to the store, I decided that I needed new workout shoes. I love hiking in my boots and they are still in great shape, but they are not so easy to run in. I have been trying to jog a bit more on my "walks" and know that once the weather warms up, I want to be on the trails. Part of the reason that I didn't want to workout today (besides not enough sleep) is that I have a good sized blister under a callous on my heel from my old shoes. These poor shoes are over 5 years old and I had gotten them when I had a trainer at the gym who did a lot of cross training. They were very flexible in the sole and although they were working, I found the stiffness of the hiking boots felt better on my feet. So, I went to a running store, showed them my boots and my tennies, pointing out the features that I likes and didn't like from each. I had a conversation with them about where I am currently walking/running and where I want to end up (on the trails). We tried on a few different brands and settled on the Hokas however, the store didn't have the size I needed. They are getting a pair shipped in from Boston, of all places. The best thing is that I get to try the shoes - two weeks for full refund, 30 days for store credit - and they expect them to get worn outside on the trails! I can't wait to try them :)

Once home, I was able to get quite a bit cooked up for the weekend. The price of groceries seems to be going up again. 2 doz eggs were more expensive than 4 pounds of chicken (none organic). The produce was steep too - 2 onions for 2 dollars! Amazing. Granted, I was in our areas more high end store, but the produce at walmart and food lion looks really picked over and, well, old. I can't wait for the warmer weather when the farmers markets open.

M1: banana, aidells chicken sausage

M2: taj mahal chicken over spinach (same size as yesterdays picture)

M3: pina colada chicken (well fed) over spinach. (DD's request - although it was good, I don't know that I would make it again).

I have to admit the pictures were a great idea. When I think about the meals that I eat, I think I am getting enough. When I look at the picture, I begin to wonder. I am trying to listen to my body and eat when it tells me to :P .

I have to admit the pictures were a great idea. When I think about the meals that I eat, I think I am getting enough. When I look at the picture, I begin to wonder.

I love your pictures.  That meal looks very good.  :)  

Just try really hard to be honest with yourself about what's going on with your body, too, okay?  I always feel more hungry when I am short on sleep, stressed, around that time of the month (Did you keep your ovaries?  If so, your hormones will still go through those cycles...), and also later in the day after I've done my strength training.  I am almost never hungry right after a workout, but I am still learning that I should just slow down and make myself have some protein within that hour PWO, at least, because it does catch up with me later in the day and then I feel like I can't get enough to eat.  For me, this has translated into wanting to eat coconut manna and sunflower seeds in the evening... for you, this may look like the fruit & sunbutter you are trying to keep away from.  I say, maybe neither of us are eating "enough" on those days, and maybe we should both make an effort to beef up our portions throughout the day instead of reaching for those things.

I don't know if you've seen my posts about Dr. Jack Kruse -- but he says 50 grams of protein for breakfast, within 30 minutes of waking.  That is a lot of protein.  But the one day I did it (I got 58 grams) -- man, that stuck with me for a long time.  I've got my dad trying it now.  I think it may be just what he needs to turn around his evening snacking.  ...Maybe.

Day 25

Early morning today after not being able to sleep until after 1 am. Several of the guys from the church came by and helped me get quite a bit of the furniture and stuff out of my basement. That room is looking much emptier :). I still have lots of stuff to go through to decide what to discard and keep, but at least it is empty enough to really clean in there after the septic debacle.

Once that was done I was able to get an hours nap before going to a ladies function. We all went to the home of one of the ladies of the church to make (and eat) Mandu (Korean dumplings). So many things in it that I couldn't have, so I brought my own lunch. I do like Mandu but had no problem turning it down - didn't even feel "left out". Nice :)

Afterwards, another short nap (30 min) and I went walking. I really didn't feel like it, but the weather was great, I had rested yesterday and think it was just my general attitude that was keing me from wanting to go. About a mile into the walk, I was really enjoying myself to the point that I wasn't watching the time and missed my turn around time by over 20 minutes. This brought me back to the car just at dark. Have to admit that I had visions of trying to stay on the slippery, slightly muddy trail in the pitch dark. Next time I will set my alarm :)

About half way through the walk I started thinking about dinner. I really really wanted a pizza. I don't know where that came from. It wasn't a craving, just a desire. Once I reminded myself "Self, you can't have that", I then wanted a great burger. That is more doable. There are a number of places to get a compliant burger. So, I swung by the gym to shower and found that the locker rooms were closed for plumbing work :(. So, I came home to shower. I passed several burger places and didn't stop. Once home and showered, I still wanted that burger but really didn't want to go out again. Ended up just cooking something quick. Maybe I'll have a burger tomorrow :)

M1: 2 eggs, 1 aidells chicken sausage (I know, no veg - overslept and was in a hurry)

M2: 2 salmon cakes with ketchup, sweet and salty brocolli salad, sesame cucumber noodles (all this from well fed2)

M3: mushroom, onion, sausage and spinach hash with 3 steamed eggs and 2 servings of guacamole

post-43981-0-09764700-1423358251_thumb.j

Day 26

Church day today - but that being said, I played hooky this afternoon so I could go hiking. Hot 11 miles in before the legs said "ENOUGH"! Still had that burger craving, so I stopped to pick up dinner tonight.

M1: salmon cakes, cucumber salad, broccoli salad (see pic from yesterday)

M2: 2 aidells sausages, banana (I know - I was in a hurry to hit the trails)

M3: Hometeam Grill burger with onions and mushrooms and salsa. Came with fried - I only ate about four or five - the burger was plenty.

DD looked at my burger and asked, where the cheese? The bun? The mayo/ketchup..... When I said I didn't need any of that she declared my burger boring :). To me it was delicious :)

post-43981-0-61459300-1423443233_thumb.j

Day 27 and 28

Yesterday was not such a good day.  I sat here last night and typed what seems like pages of whining and complaining.  Then I erased it all.  It really didn't have anything to do with w30.  I was (still am kinda) in a rotten mood.  I guess you could say I wanted to Kill All Things...  and all things really meant everything.  I got home from work and roamed the kitchen.  I didn't know what I wanted to eat.  All I knew was that with the attitude I had, I really wanted a binge of epic proportions.  Wouldn't you know that I turned on the TV and there was a person talking about BED - binge eating disorder.  Hmmmm.....  

Anyway, I ended up "binging" on pistachio nuts and raisins.  Mostly because I really didn't want to go back out of the house and no one delivers here.  My DS offered to go get me something (I think he was hoping to get chinese) but I had the presence of mind to say no.  It really wasn't the food that I was "craving".  I really wasn't all that hungry.  I guess the bottom line is that I wanted to eat something to make me feel worse than I already was feeling so I could blame it on something other than myself.  

Today, I really wanted to sleep in.  I woke up at 540.  I spent a couple hours playing games on the iPad  (haven't done that in a long time) and then since I felt like I needed to be productive, I set out to get the computer fixed (latest update froze it).  I ended up spending 5 hours in the Apple store - and yes, I drooled over and dreamed about all the "new" stuff - but everything is up and running and I actually got some other things done (syncing) that I hadn't been able to figure out.  Yeah!  Go me!

So, it is 430pm and I know that I should be going to work out, but I really am not feeling it.  (Hope this attitude of mine goes away - maybe its those pesky ovaries of mine....)  

Yesterday:

M1:  salmon cakes, broccoli salad, cucumber salad

M2:  taj mahal chicken

M3:  pistachios, raisins and smoked oysters (what a combo)

Today:

M1:   broccoli salad, 3 eggs

M2:  banana

Day 29

10 mile walk this morning. 3 hour nap this afternoon. Church, master chef jr and property brothers (can they come to my town?)

M1: 3 eggs, guac, apple

M2: mixed green salad with tomato, cucumber, mushrooms, olives, 3 beet slices, 1 boiled egg, proschiotto

M3: left over ribeye, mushrooms, onions, leftover potato

Wish I could make myself get out there for a 10 mile walk.  Something for me to set my eyes on.  How cold is it where you are?

Right now, it is 30s, going into the teens tonight. However, the weekend was gorgeous - low 60s on Saturday and hit 71 on Sunday. I can't wait for the warm weather to come back!

Day 30

Struggles: trying to eat the right amount of food. Had a few times when I just didn't feel good. Upped my portions a bit and it helped.

Accomplishments: 23.5 pounds lost

245 miles completed

Able to run for an entire song (4.5 min) during my workout

PR today on a timed 5K (46:45)

New running shoes :)

I didn't sleep great last night. In bed at 1030pm, woke at 330 am, back to sleep about 6am and slept til 930. Kinda crazy. I am not sure why I am not sleeping well.

Once up, I went to get my nails done (enjoying the girl thing once in a while) and headed to the gym. I had picked up my new shoes yesterday and wanted to try them out. At first I didn't think they were going to work since my feet were hurting within the first quarter mile. However, a couple of adjustments with the laces and pulling out the inserts they felt better. Since I was warmed up, I decided to time my 5K. I was shocked when I realized that my walking speed was higher than I had done on the treadmill before so I started doing some running intervals. My first run was for an entire song! What in the world was happening? I didn't dwell, just enjoyed feeling G.O.O.D.!

After the 5K, instead of pushing for ten miles, I decided to continue an easy walk up to 5 miles and called it a day. Headed to the grocery store and came home to do a cook-up for the weekend (3 night shifts in a row coming up).

I did struggle to eat today - just found that I wasn't hungry. I knew that I needed to eat so I did. This is also why I need to keep prepared food in the fridge; if I am not hungry, I really don't want to make anything. Having prepared foods gives me no excuse for not eating.

M1: onion and mushroom sauté with 3 eggs

M2: salmon salad, brocolli salad

M3: roasted chicken thigh, green beans, rutabaga mash

Day 31

A quiet day.  I finally slept well for the night - asleep by 2230, awake at 630 to let the dogs out, back to bed and up at 930.  Piddled around the house for an hour or so - then off to the chiropractor and then the apple store to learn all about the "cloud".  I love how apple products talk to each other - but you do have to know how to tell them to do so :)  Took a couple hour nap this afternoon.  I really debated whether to nap or go to the gym - with as cold as it is (teens), I opted to snuggle under the electric blanket :rolleyes:

Work tonight.  Already, I can't wait to go home, sleep and then hit the gym in the afternoon.  I really missed my workout today!

M1:  slo cooker pork on bed of spinach with broth

M2:  broccoli salad with chicken thigh

M3:  2 HB eggs, banana

M4:  taj mahal chicken (the last of it :( )

Day 32 and 33

Hmmm....  where did I leave off?  A couple of really busy, stressful (due to coworker, not patients) nights.  I just didn't have time to get on here.

Home late from work by about 3 hours on Saturday morning.  Slept for about 4 hours then woke up with so much running through my brain so I decided to head to the gym.  3 hours and 12 miles later - well, lets just say that I was still stressed.  I really didn't want to go back to work (and deal with the same problems) - to the point that once at work, I had to leave the DR in charge of my babies so I could run to the BR twice in the first hour and a half I was there.  Haven't had those issues for a very, very long time.

This morning, I left as soon as I saw my reliefs eyes so that I was home by 715 this am (its a record!).  Slept 3 hours this am (I skipped praise team practice so I could sleep) and headed for church.  I did decide to go out to lunch with my church friends since I needed the companionship and love :wub:  and am really glad that I did so.  Back home for another 3.5 hour nap and back to work.  Unfortunately, I have to get up early tomorrow afternoon as well for an appointment.  Between stress and lack of sleep I am just not feeling myself - bloated and puffy.  I am glad that I will have tuesday and wednesday off so I can get a couple of good days in at the gym.  My overall daily mileage has been slipping :)

Day 31:

M1:  3 eggs scrambled, banana (preworkout)

M2:  chicken thigh, rutabage mash, green beans, guacamole

M3:  pistachios (really?  that's all I had?   yep - was too busy to grab my meal from the breakroom and started snacking on these.  Next thing I knew, I wasn't hungry enough to eat.)

Day 32:

m1:  slo cooked pork on bed of spinach with broth

M2:  rib eye, plain baked potato, green salad with olive oil/vinegar dressing (mixed greens, cucumber, green pepper, mushrooms, tomato slice, boiled egg)

M3:  chicken thight, rutabaga mash, green beans, guacamole

Day 34

So, the snow has hit the east coast and traffic is super super bad. I really debated going to the gym this afternoon and am now wishing I hadnt. It usually takes me 20 min to drive home from the gym. Today, it took 45 min to get out of the parking lot onto the main road. Now that I am on the main road, it has been 20 min to go 100 yards. Hope I have enough gas for this :). Maybe I should just ditch the car and walk home - will probably get there faster!

Anyway, got home from work at a decent time. Slept about 3 hours then headed for a workshop on iMovie - can't wait to make some movies :). Then to the gym, now sitting in traffic.

M1: slo cooked pork on bed of spinach

M2: chicken thigh and broccoli salad

M3: burger with sautéed mushrooms and onion, baked potato

Day 35

Yesterday was a quiet snow day spent at home.

Started out the day sleeping in. After breakfast, I got the kids up and out to dig out from under the snow. It was lovely dry powdery snow - good thing since my shovel broke :). We got creative and got the job done. I then spent the rest of the afternoon playing on the computer and even put together a couple of short movies.

Here's one of our snow adventures if you' like to watch!

(I can't seem to add it as a link.... Pls copy and paste)

I realized at 5 that I hadn't had lunch. Ate dinner and truly planned to have something light but next thing I knew, it was 1030 and I had to get to bed.....

M1: 3 eggs scrambled, green beans

M2: chopped chicken, lettuce, fresh tomato salsa, guac

M3: .....

Day 36

Up early for bloodwork (hoping for better numbers since ive been good for 30 days:D) before spending the morning finishing a recertification test for work. Then I took my shoes back to the store for a smaller size. Back to the gym for 8 miles. I really can't wait for spring weather to do some hiking!

Have eaten well today, and when I was hungry. However, I am still hungry so will probably have another small meal when I get home from church.

M1: 3 eggs, spinach artichoke bruschetta

M2: chicken thigh, orange, guac

M3: rutabaga mash, green beans, slo cooked pork (double portion)

--------------

M4: banana, raisins, sunbutter

Day 37

Long day at work, but I have to admit I like day shift soooo much more than nights. Was awake a couple minutes before the alarm went off. Wide awake - no sleep hangover :). Good times! Had kind of a quiet afternoon so was able to take a break for once and walk the halls of the hospital to get a little bit of exercise. Felt good. Decided to just come home after work rather than go to the gym- will have to go tomorrow morning since I work nights tomorrow. Sigh.

M1: 3 eggs with tomato artichoke bruschetta, banana

M2: 2 brats, sautéed mushrooms and onions, guacamole

M3: slo cooked pork (double portion), green beans

post-43981-0-39463900-1424396176_thumb.j

post-43981-0-66954700-1424396193_thumb.j

I have been thinking a lot about Lent this year.  As a child and young adult I participated in Lent.  I gave up candy and soda.  One year I kept a rock in my shoe to be continually reminded of the sacrifice Christ made for us. I collected pennies for the Food Bank...  In recent years, I have not participated in Lent (left the Catholic church for the Baptist church where it is not observed so much) but have continued to learn more and more about what Lent is truly about.  This year, I have been struggling with what to do.  Yes, I know that I am already two days into Lent.....

I have been on the w30 for 37 days now.  It is no longer about food.  It is no sacrifice to give up foods and drinks that are bad for me.  I had decided that on Fridays, I am going to observe the traditional Catholic observance of abstaining from meat and fasting (making my first two meals together smaller than or equal to the third).  But there needs to be something else.....

I came across another log about doing a w30 during Lent.  (This log has led to many responses, but that is not what this is about)  This log made me really think this morning about Lent - what it is about and why we participate.  I understand that many people participate for many reasons, and they are not always spiritual ones.  That being said, I had stopped participating for several years because it wasn't a spiritual decision for me.  

If one looks at the calendar, the season of Lent comes to 46 days.  In the Catholic church obligations for Lent, Sundays traditionally do not count.  Lent also does not go until Easter, it finishes on Holy Thursday.  So, between no sundays, and stopping on the thursday before Easter, it is 40 days - in remembrance of our Lord's 40 day fast in the desert before beginning his public ministry.  Traditionally, Lent was a full 40 day fast.  Fasting does not mean to completely abstaining from from all food.  It is an abstinence of meat.  Also, three meals are allowed, but the first two meals should be small and not equal in size the third meal.  Traditionally, every Friday throughout the year was a day of abstinence.  US Bishops changed that, allowing for regular meals on Fridays, which in turn changed Lent from being an obligatory 40 day fast, to fasting (or abstaining) on Ash Wednesday and Fridays  (These Fridays never ceased to be a day of penance and self-denial, and abstaining from meat, because it was on a Friday that our Lord died for our sins).  US Catholics are encouraged to voluntarily make the entire Lenten season a period of special penitential observance.

This all being said, Lent is not about food.  Pope Francis himself asked us to reconsideer the heart of this activity this Lenten season.  "Fasting must never become superficial".  He quoted John Chrysostom, saying, "No act of virture can be great if it is not followed by advantage for others.  So, no matter how much time you spend fasting, no matter how much you sleep on a hard floor and eat ashes and sigh continually, if you do no good to others, you do nothing great."

"But this isn't to downplay the role of sacrifice during the Lenten season.  Lent is a good time for penance and self-denial.  But once again, Francis reminds us that these activities must truly enrich others:  'I distrust a charity that costs nothing and does not hurt'." -Time Magazine

Is my w30 truly a special penitential observance?  Probably not.  Will fasting and abstaining?  I am sure that I will have to think about my meals just a little bit more on those days, but again, probably not.  

What Pope Francis said has been ringing in my ears:  "If you do no good to others, you do nothing great."

For the last few weeks, our church has been doing a study called, "Experiencing God".  In a nutshell, it is about having a love relationship with God so great that you can see where He is working, adjust your life to meet Him there, and allow Him to work through you to accomplish His work.  It has taken me all this time to realize that this is what Lent is all about.  Seeing what God is doing and sacrificing what I want to do, so that I can do what He wants me to.  You see, God gives us the free will to decide what we will do and where we will go and who we will help.  When someone in front of us in line at the grocery store doesn't have enough money for their groceries - we have the choice to give them what we have, or keep that money for ourselves.  Which one is sacrificial?  Which choice does good for another?  

All in all, we do not have to be "spiritual" to help others.  What if we lived in a world where sacrifice for others was the norm?  What if people saw more good than greed?  What if we all looked to help others instead of living in our own bubbles?  

I am an introvert.  I get my energy from being alone.  Large groups of people, even when they are dear friends or family, can drain me.  Seems strange that I am a nurse.  I love my job and hope that I reach out to my patients and their families with compassion and empathy.  I do know that by the end of a 12 hour shift, the last thing I want to do is be with more people.   I don't know that I have the time, energy strength, fortitude, or knowledge to go out and start my own homeless shelter or food bank.  But I know that I can sacrifice a little of my food budget to place a couple cans in the box that every grocery store has.  I know that I can sacrifice a few minutes of my day to call someone who is lonely, or text a friend I haven't seen in a while, or send a card for no special reason to anyone.  Perhaps there are other things I can sacrifice some time for to spread a little joy and love and warmth into the world.

Perhaps, this is my calling this Lenten season - to be aware of the needs around me.  To sacrifice time and money and energy to reach out.   I know that if I ask, my LORD will certainly put these things in my path and give me the choice to decide if I will allow Him to work through me, or if I will turn away.

Happy Lent, everyone! 

Archived