Good Whole Foods Resource for Daycare?

WholeSarah&Fam

I'm going back to work after baby #2 and my kids will be in child care with family. Our family (me, hubby & kids) switched to whole foods & paleo eating 6 months ago but extended family basically eat junk at every meal. Our child care providers are willing to work with us on what to/not to feed the kids but I'm having trouble getting through on the particulars. Anyone know of a good simple & quick resource I can pass along without expecting them to read a whole book on the subject?

How about sweet potatoes, Yams, roasted beets, roasted butternut squash, roasted pumpkins, kind of like purees worked really good.  then put some ground meat, burgers, meatballs, shredded chicken or chicken strips, and fruits.   For breakfast boiled eggs, omelettes, egg muffins, (Put as many vegetables you cna on these), and maybe some grilled zucchini or eggplants? there are some easy recipes that kids will love (mine does!) I also have always handy baked plantaisn with salt and olive oil and guacamole. that one never fails ;)  Good luck!

• Administrators

Are your child care providers cooking the food for the kids? Or would you send the kids with their meals and snacks? If the latter, just rule out the kids eating anything besides what you send for them (make sure to send enough).

I'm doing my first whole30 (on day 25), and I'm changing how I look at grains. I sat in on my 3 year old's school today. All kids bring a sack lunch, but the school provides two snacks. Today, the first snack was rice cakes and oranges, and the second snack was crackers and OJ. They also serve regular pasteurized milk at lunch. They state that there are federal regulations for school meals/snacks, and that for lunch, we are to send: a protein, a grain, and 2 servings of fruit/vegetable. This school is really progressive, and I have a feeling they would be very open to change, if a case was made. They already don't allow sugar snacks/drinks in the sack lunches. So, in this string, I too, would love a resource that is directed towards schools/day cares. The pdfs are great, and in addition, a whole list of kid food suggestions that don't require much preparation (other than slicing and serving) would be awesome. Is there anything like that out there? 

• Moderators

a whole list of kid food suggestions that don't require much preparation (other than slicing and serving) would be awesome. Is there anything like that out there?

I don't have kids and have no idea about your other questions, but for the kid friendly lunches, check out Nom Nom Paleo's lunchbox roundup: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/59118514268/paleo-lunchbox-roundup

Some of them may take more prep, but there are tons of ideas, so some are bound to be helpful.

• 4 months later...

I have a heck of a quandary with one of my kids because he goes to a Jewish school so to keep kosher no meat is allowed in the lunches and for reasons of allergy no nuts are allowed.  My son won't eat fish unless I just grilled it and isn't interested in sunflower butter.  Everyone else just packs a ton of dairy and grains.  Obviously I am making it work as well as I can- with a lot of boiled eggs and veggie/fruits- but there aren't a ton of choices.  He is four so there are a lot of foods he just doesn't eat or only eats hot.  My 6 year old came home and begged to eat the cafeteria food the other day with promises that it is "organic" and has no chemicals in it- adorable mistaken boy.

Archived