stress=distended stomach and severe pain

aezj

I've been told I have IBS and diverticulous. Whenever I get under ANY stress (whether I'm aware of it or not) I internalize it and my stomach will bloat and get distended by about 5 more inches and I will have severe stomach pain. Nothing will help it, I tend to just go lay in bed with a heating pad on and try and rest. Does anyone else have this or know what I can do to relieve it? It makes me miserable!

That's just awful! I have IBS as well and have been able to control it somewhat through eating - nothing spicy, greasy, or the like. Mine is definitely aggravated by stress as well. Diverticulosis can be aggravated by nuts, seeds, and corn so avoiding those foods should be at the top of the list. Do you have any stress management techniques that have worked in the past? Plenty of people swear by yoga. Even just deep breathing techniques and getting good sleep has helped me in the past. Granted, there have been plenty of nights where I just curl up and hope that when I wake up I won't hurt so much. I start my Whole30 on Sunday. I'm really hoping making the right choices will help me to feel better and have a less cranky stomach. Good luck!

Beth,

I have Crohn's and can very much sympathize. Changing my eating habits has almost completely irradicated my symptoms and I think, given time, the change will make the same difference for you. Unfortunately stress isn't easy to control. I would definitely suggest finding a stress management system that works for you, getting as much rest as possible and keeping your diet clean. Perhaps a natural calming agent, like magnesium, could help as well.

Hoping you feel better soon!

Thanks ladies! I've been eating Paleo for almost 2 years and have recently finished the whole 30. It's funny b/c I won't feel stressed then bam, my stomach looks 4 months pregnant and I'm miserable. I have started drinking Natural Calm when this happens and it does help it some.

• 1 month later...

Hi Beth, Robin, & bestrick,

I have also been diagnosed with "IBS", which disappears when I eat clean paleo/whole 30. I had just recently finished my second whole 30 a couple weeks ago when I started having horrible stomach pains starting late afternoon to evening and sometimes waking me up at night. It was high up in my abdomen accompanied by terrible bloating and reminded me of a gall bladder attack (I had my gallbladder removed 8 years ago). After two weeks of suffering, I went to the doctor, had an ultrasound and blood work to rule out a bile duct stone or pancreas issues. He called that night to say all tests were clear, which is great - except is this going to be a repeat of the "IBS" diagnosis - it will be up to me to figure out what further foods I can't have. When I saw your post, Beth, it made me realise that these symptoms began when my sister (in the U.S. was diagnosed with thyroid cancer, so maybe stress is a factor? I will also try the natural calm and see what the doctor has to offer next week. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Cheers,

Audrie

Archived