The Date Dilemma

(I'm posting this here rather than in the pregnancy board with the hope of getting more feedback.)

I'm 32 weeks pregnant with my third baby.  Dates contain a natural oxytocin-like ingredient, which can help a woman's body prepare for labor and have an easier labor. 

I would like to continue my Whole 30 up until the time I deliver, but the recommendation is to eat five to six dates PER DAY for the beneficial effects. 

I am looking for suggestions on the best way to eat these.  Spaced out?  All at once?  In the afternoon?  This is my third official Whole 30, and I still want the benefits of weaning my body of sugar, but I don't know if I can get the benefits if I am still consuming so much (albeit natural) sugar.  I should add that dates do not set off a sugar dragon for me.  

If the answer is that I stop an official Whole 30, that is fine.  But, I thought I'd see if there were any other thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks.

• Moderators

While adding six dates a day is probably not ideal for most people on a Whole30, I don't think it will ruin your results at all in this case. You're better off eating whole30 plus six dates than not eating whole30 at all.

I would try to have them with meals, since the protein and fat from meals will help prevent blood sugar spikes, and space them out throughout the day rather than having five or six at once.

Archived