One Good Whole30 choice I made today is:

MeadowLily

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.clinical-depression.co.uk/dlp/understanding-depression/all-or-nothing-or-black-and-white-thinking-and-depression/

All or nothing.  Black or white.   Abstainer vs. moderator.   There's far more than 50 shades of every color. One person cannot define all of us.  One size does not fit all.

feature-header1.jpg

"Sleep has become profoundly important to me.

‘I was never getting enough of it and I didn’t understand the value of it. And I treat it like work. Just like I do with little Buddy when I tell him to get to bed, I get to bed! I have little vibrating things that shake me when it’s 10pm.

‘Your average Brit drinks booze. I’m not telling you what to do, but my rhythm now is only to drink at the weekend. It’s about a consciousness and knowing you’re doing something and being more mindful.

‘A handful of nuts a day will qualify you for three extra years on the planet! And they make you half as likely to have a heart attack. Feed them to your kids as well.

Eggs are great and you can have them every day."

"He added: ‘I thought seaweed was hippy, globetrotting stuff but our ancestors ate seaweed. It’s got a load of iodine and it’s the most nutritious vegetable in the world. I’m saying lose it in a minestrone because that stuff is really, really good for you. It’s like dynamite – fibre, nutrients, all the minerals, aids digestion – unbelievable."

http://www.jamieoliver.com/

Declaration of Independence from Dieting

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one woman  to dissolve the emotional bands which have connected her with one diet attempt after another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, a separation from dieting to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, with respect to her body, mind, and soul that she should declare the causes which impel her and other like-minded women to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all women are unique, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.That to secure these rights, women have previously attempted diets with hopes of yielding such results. However, whenever any Form of dieting becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute a new way of feeding one’s self, laying its foundation on such principles as mindful eating, permission, flexibility, intuition, and the wisdom of the body and choosing foods in a way that to them shall seem most likely to affect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate many food choices, but not all, and accordingly, past eating experiences hath shewn, that womankind are more disposed to suffer from dieting, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the restriction to which they are accustomed.

But when a long train of abuses and fruitless diet attempts, pursuing invariably the same Object of a smaller body, yields the same results of frustration, demoralization, feelings of failure, guilt, and in many cases weight gain, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such restrictions, and to consider a new approach for their future health and happiness. Such has been the patient sufferance of these women who have tried diet after diet; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former relationship with food.

Our history of dieting is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations of the joy and pleasure that food can provide, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over so many women. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

~     If one diet worked perfectly, there would never be the need for another, yet there are countless diet plans  available.

~     Dieting, for many women, has been shown to result in weight gain over time.

~     Dieting often demonizes foods making them more appealing as forbidden fruit.

~     Dieting generates stress and feelings of failure for many.

~     Dieting is the antithesis of healthy eating.

~     Dieting results in most people regaining the weight they lost and more.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the diet-weary, in the name, and by Authority of good sense, appealing to women everywhere, solemnly publish and declare, That these women ought to be Free and Independent of  ineffective and unhealthy diets; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to restriction, starvation, deprivation, guilt and the self-judgment that diets create; and that as Free and Independent women, they have full Power to decide what to eat, when to eat, and why to eat, based on their personal needs and desires, and to do all other Acts and Things which normal eaters may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the wisdom of the body, we mutually pledge to each other to never diet again. 

http://www.fitwoman.com/blog/2012/07/02/declaration-of-independence-from-dieting/

Love is first and last.  It is the love of the say it out-loud every single day kind that is required.

Faking rapt attention when you're listening to the extremely boring theory of baseball, football, basketball, bowling, soccer may be incredibly tedious but sooo worth it.  Love bothers to pretend to pay attention.

What was that theory again?  I can't even remember.  coffee-screen-smiley.gif?1292867572

Happy Valentine's Day.

All or nothing, a black and white thinking style is linked to depression.  The more polarized, extreme either/or thinking stimulates the emotions and not in a helpful way to overcome food addictions.

I don't identify with abstainer vs. moderator.  It's too either/or thinking.

If  busy people want to eat a bison bar or beef jerky bites after an exercise class...so be it.   Healthy balanced emotions help create a healthy positive food management plan.   Eating the widest variety of whole foods keeps everything in balance and check.

http://eatingdisorder.org/blog/2011/05/eating-disorders-and-the-all-or-nothing-trap/

Many people who suffer with food and weight problems also struggle with Black-and-White Thinking. This means seeing ourselves as either on or off our diet, good or bad, perfect or a failure. Black-and-White thinkers swing back and forth between two extremes. We have trouble even imagining that there could be options, compromise, or a middle ground.

"You do not have to go low carb to become fat-adapted. The difference between eating bagels/donuts and potatoes is huge."  

I want to remember this.   When faced with potatoes in someone's homemade soup, you don't have to fall apart over a white, sweet, purple potato.   You can eat them and know that's there no comparison with a bagel or donut, pile of pasta or bread bowl, white bread or baked goods.   You can eat starchy vege and remain fat-adapted.   That's some freedom right there.

Thrill Eating begins because of over-restriction of every kind.  It is the course correction.  The food reckoning.  

Your body takes you on a thrill eating ride because it can't stand to be ignored.  It will drag you down every rough road to see to it that you don't starve it to death.  Thrill eating may last for a few minutes, weeks, months or years.  

Over-restricting and thrill eating, the joy only lasts for a few minutes. 

I just heard the sound of banjos.  And Deliverance from over-restriction.  

Archived