Jump to content



Recommended Posts

I had never heard of this, but a quick google Told All.


Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellac says:

"Shellac, edible, is used as a glazing agent on pills (see excipients) and candies, in the form of pharmaceutical glaze (or, confectioner's glaze). Because of its acidic properties (resisting stomach acids), shellac-coated pills may be used for a timed enteric or colonic release.[15] Shellac is used as a 'wax' coating on citrus fruit to prolong its shelf/storage life. It is also used to replace the natural wax of the apple, which is removed during the cleaning process.[16] When used for this purpose, it has the food additive E number E904.

Shellac coating, edible, applied with either a standard or modified Huon-Stuehrer nozzle, can be economically micro-sprayed onto various smooth candies, such as chocolate coated peanuts. Irregularities on the surface of the product being sprayed typically result in the formation of unsightly aggregates ("lac-aggs") which precludes the use of this technique on foods such as walnuts or raisins (however, chocolate-coated raisins being smooth surfaced, are able to be sprayed successfully using a modified Huon-Stuehrer nozzle)."


It looks from this article as if we're consuming the stuff constantly without even knowing it, so I'm gonna go with an "it's OK."


The larger issue would be the other ingredients of the bar; and whether you're using it as emergency food (best) or as a snack or treat or some such (best to replace it in these situations with a mini-meal).


Who knew? Shellac. On my (prior to Whole30) M&Ms.  All. those. years. Haha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

Wow. The things we once unwittingly ate. 


Whether a food is technically compliant or not I still find it helpful to ask the question of a food I'm thinking about ingesting: "Will this make me more or less healthy?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...