How long before I feel better?

Teenie76

Hi all!  I need to warn you that this is going to sound a lot like a 2 year old temper tantrum! =)  First, I am so, so bored with this plan.  I'm on day 8 and have been compliant and have been cooking different things with lots of spices and flavor, but the problem is they are still boring meals and they don't excite me, at all.  In fact, I find myself not wanting to eat and completely losing my appetite (so therefore I'm not hungry) because the thought of eating another boring meal is enough to make me vomit.  I'm really frustrated because I am spending so much more time in the kitchen now and I'm really working hard at staying 100% compliant.  How long before that goes away?  I still want to eat a dozen donuts about 17 times a day...how long before that goes away?  I haven't been any more grumpy and tired than normal, but understand that my normal IS grumpy and tired.  For about 2 years now, I've had sleeping problems, mostly waking up around 2-4 am and sometimes going back to sleep, sometimes not.  I take supplements to help it's still not gotten much better.  I was so hoping that doing this program would help with my sleeping, but it hasn't made one bit of difference yet.  So, in summary, I still have my crazy cravings for junk food, I'm so bored with the food that I'm not seeing this moving toward a life style change and I'm not sleeping better or feeling any different.  Yes, I know I'm only on day 8.  But I'm ready to throw in the towel if I've done almost a third of the time and nothing has changed.  Please, someone tell me this is normal and is going to get better!!!  

Thanks for reading!

You are dealing with way more than can be fixed in 8 days. So hang in there.  If you're not sleeping, your body is going to give you very mixed signals about food. If you're taking supplements to help with your adrenals, and they aren't helping, it would be worth it to go back to your medical practitioner and talk it over. Sleep is a big deal.

Regarding your food boredom, if you'd like some feedback, post a couple days' worth of meals here and get some tips for preparation and recipes that might liven it up.

You've only just begun. Really. It will get better, but what you've been dealing with for years simply won't disappear in a week. It may not disappear in 30 days. Sleep, stress, and anxiety are hard ones. Whole30 helps, but it takes time.

Give us some idea of what you've been eating and see if we can spice up your meals. You can do this.

I was really afraid you were going to say that.  It's not that I'm not willing to do the work, I was just hoping for a little bit of something to keep me motivated to stay on track.  My supplements will help, they have in the past but I stopped taking them and started up again consistently on day 1.  

As far as meals, here is what we've made the past few days:  Yesterday was compliant bratwurst and sauerkraut with veggies, the day before was chicken curry in the crockpot (sauce was ok, but so far from real curry from an indian restaurant...hubby and kids liked it), another day this week was pork roast with a dry rub, turkey meatballs with a pineapple/bell pepper sauce, tacos (we had it on salad, kids had shells).  They really are not boring meals, they just don't taste as flavorful as what I'm used to.  Coconut milk doesn't take the place of dairy, cauliflower can't take the place of potatoes.  Like I said, I'm just acting like a 2 year old because I want what I'm used to.  I'm mostly worried that this is never going to taste right enough to want to do it long term and that makes me scared that this is not going to be a lifestyle change, instead just a way to get through 30 days in order to get back to my "normal" food.  Does that get better?  I started this very optimistic, but I'm having a hard time staying positive.  Hearing that this could take much longer than 30 days makes me want to cry.  I know that is true, but seeing it in "writing" is very discouraging.  I know it took me so many years to get here and my adrenals aren't going to heal overnight. I know that.  Thanks for the information and the encouragement.  I'll keep chugging along and hoping that I can start feeling better (not perfect!) soon.

One day at a time. Keep reminding yourself what you hope to gain from eating this way.

How is Whole30 eating different from how you ate prior?

Try experimenting with different spices and herbs to add flavors. Swap in some seafood for your protein. Look through recipes on sites popular with other Whole30ers (http://nomnompaleo.com, the Whole30 Instagram page).

And to your cauliflower vs. potatoes point, potatoes are allowed on a Whole30. :-)

• Moderators

If you can, try to find recipes that are nothing like what you would have had before. For instance, for me, when I made chili during my first whole30, I found it disappointing because I couldn't have cheese with it. There were other dishes that I thought would be better with cheese, but they didn't affect me quite the same way. Apparently chili is really just a vehicle for cheese for me, and I just didn't like it at all without.

So, for you, you might try to stay away from recipes where you need milk of some kind, since you're finding coconut milk unsatisfying as a substitute. Over time, your taste buds will likely change, but for now, it might be less frustrating to try new things that you have no particular expectation for.

All of these other moderators are SO NICE! I am not so nice, at least right now: you know that you are acting like a 2-year old. stop doing it.

So much of our experience of the world comes from our own inner dialogue about it. I'm afraid the more you indulge your grumpy 2-yr-old inner self "I don't like it" "this is boring" etc. etc. etc. the more it will be true for you.

You decided you wanted to do the whole30. There must have been reasons for that? Write them out. Then start practicing a little more productive dialogue. Something like "how wonderful that I get to eat nutritious foods" "what a privilege that I know how to feed my body to be healthy and feel good""hmmm, these flavors are not what I am used to but they are interesting, lets have another bite and analyze what is different about this (coconut vs. dairy or whatever), how fun to experiment with flavors!"

You get the picture. Although we may help with tweaks and such, the whole30 isn't really going to change a whole lot. Your perspective on it is the thing that can change dramatically. Start that process in motion.

I started on January 2nd and day 7-8 were bad.. i just wanted to sleep... I am on day 18 and feel great! I think alot has to do with our mindset going in and not necessarily the food. I was tired of living the way I was living. Tired of the digestion problems, anxiety and depression, and flareups with my RA not to mention the sugar dragon. As I stared off I had cravings but was able to destinquish between stomach/ taste buds and emotional cravings. Most of my cravings were emotional..and when I acknowledged them it was easier to deal with.I try not to convert my favorite old foods to whole30, because they just dont compare and i will be disappointed.

have you purged the house of non compliant foods? It sounds like the kids are eating some non compliant foods, which is fine but do you have treats for them that may be big triggers for you?

It sounds like you are eating a variety of foods so boredom is not your problem . Your emotions are being rebellious and you must take control and give your emotions a time out LOL. Like others said write down why you are doing whole30, post it somewhere you see it all of the time (bathroom mirror or fridge).

You can do this!!!

take care, Paula

Thank you! I'll try recipes that i don't have expectations for and stick with ones that I know are good. I am not making my 8 year olds do this with me so yes, there are non compliant foods everywhere. And I have to make dinners appetizing to them because I only make one dinner. Surprisingly enough, my super picky daughter has not complained about eating new meals and is even asking for seconds sometimes. That's a huge win! I'm writing it down to remind me of positives!

Why am I doing this? Because I want to sleep better and feel better. So, you can imagine my frustration when I'm not sleeping any better, I can't have coffee to help in the morning (too dependent on it therefore it can't be here right now) and I'm super grumpy from not sleeping and being tired. Add work, kids and not being able to eat what I'm really craving and I'm a mega B!!! I know I'm not different from anyone else in life, we all have major stressors. I was just hoping by now, day 9, that something would have changed. It makes it hard to continue knowing this may not work at all. And if that's true, I'm doing all of this work (seriously, it's been a lot! I read the book, searched for weeks for recipes, bought cook books, got hubby on board and spend a ton of time in the kitchen cooking which is something I hate doing anyway) and really got my hopes up for no reason. I'm committed to doing this for 30 days and I understand before day 15, this is common. I agree that my perception of food is very negative and I'll work on changing that. I think that's the only way I'll be able to get through this next 21 days. I guess I just want to be told that this is normal and if I hang in for just a little longer, it will work. I've read so many stories of how this didn't work for people, so maybe I'm not overly excited just in case. I deserve all the tough love though and wanted to vent in here to be set straight. Hubby is doing this with me and when I cried this morning because I have had yet another sleepless night, he is ready to give in and buy me coffee. Because he loves me and I'm spoiled. Thanks ladies for keeping it real!

• Administrators

Hey Teenie,

In your list of foods that you've been making and eating, you don't list any fat.  If you are coming from a SAD diet of supranormally stimulating foods, you might be bored with the foods you're eating because you're not getting that hit to your brain.  Try adding olives, sesame oil drizzles, homemade mayo, whole eggs, avocado/guacamole, babaganoush, sunshine sauce etc.

Many people also tend to go through a phase where they are bored with food.  My personal opinion on that is that it's not boredom with the food, it's lack of entertainment/celebration/treat/reward that goes along with eating whole, nutritious foods for the sole purpose of nourishing your body. It's having to find something else to "look forward to" at the end of a shitty day or when the kids are driving you batty.  There's no "glass of wine and ice cream during my favourite show" anymore and that can also contribute to the "this food sucks" tantrum.

You're on Day 8 (or 9 by now).  That is a pittance in the grand scheme of your life.  I know that a lot of the documentation around Whole30 touts it as amazing and incredible and mind blowing and wicked energy and sleep of the dead.  It definitely does change things and rebalance your body and re-jig your relationship with food.  But, friend, it does that over 30 days.  Not eight.  And if, like AmyS says, it takes longer than 30 days, be advised that you won't have to feel like crap the entire time.  Change is not linear, you could feel 10% better on Day 10 and 45% better on Day 28.  But you won't know if you continue to allow your negativity to lead your Whole30...because negativity (and positivity) can be self fulfilling prophesies.

Have you see the Timeline, by the way?  Might help you know you aren't alone.

Thank you! I'll try recipes that i don't have expectations for and stick with ones that I know are good. I am not making my 8 year olds do this with me so yes, there are non compliant foods everywhere. And I have to make dinners appetizing to them because I only make one dinner. Surprisingly enough, my super picky daughter has not complained about eating new meals and is even asking for seconds sometimes. That's a huge win! I'm writing it down to remind me of positives!

Why am I doing this? Because I want to sleep better and feel better. So, you can imagine my frustration when I'm not sleeping any better, I can't have coffee to help in the morning (too dependent on it therefore it can't be here right now) and I'm super grumpy from not sleeping and being tired. Add work, kids and not being able to eat what I'm really craving and I'm a mega B!!! I know I'm not different from anyone else in life, we all have major stressors. I was just hoping by now, day 9, that something would have changed. It makes it hard to continue knowing this may not work at all. And if that's true, I'm doing all of this work (seriously, it's been a lot! I read the book, searched for weeks for recipes, bought cook books, got hubby on board and spend a ton of time in the kitchen cooking which is something I hate doing anyway) and really got my hopes up for no reason. I'm committed to doing this for 30 days and I understand before day 15, this is common. I agree that my perception of food is very negative and I'll work on changing that. I think that's the only way I'll be able to get through this next 21 days. I guess I just want to be told that this is normal and if I hang in for just a little longer, it will work. I've read so many stories of how this didn't work for people, so maybe I'm not overly excited just in case. I deserve all the tough love though and wanted to vent in here to be set straight. Hubby is doing this with me and when I cried this morning because I have had yet another sleepless night, he is ready to give in and buy me coffee. Because he loves me and I'm spoiled. Thanks ladies for keeping it real!

Along with what everyone else is saying, I would add that when you're dealing with adrenal fatigue you may find that everything is just harder. I've been amazed over the year and a half that I've been taking adrenal supplements, to discover how much my life has gradually improved. One of the results/symptoms of adrenal fatigue is that incredible exhaustion that just doesn't ever go away no matter what. And when we're used to treating that exhaustion every couple of hours with some sugar or caffeine, our bodies get more and more exhausted, and we keep covering the exhaustion up with more and more sugar and caffeine, and the cycle gets worse and worse.

So now, you've removed the sugar and caffeine; you've just re-started your adrenal supplements; and you are feeling the full force of your adrenal fatigue.  You're going through withdrawals and learning how depleted you are.  One result of this is that you will feel feelings that you'll name "grumpy" and "bored." This is a combination of withdrawal and exhaustion. It's a really big deal.

Since you've signed up to give this a go, and have checked in here to get some feedback on your state of mind, I would say that you deserve to let yourself have all of the ick of the withdrawal and call it that. Have all of the ick of the exhaustion and call it that. In other words, you deserve to say exactly where you are. You're not grumpy and bored, your brain and body are going through reactions to taking away adrenaline props for your depleted adrenals, and you're waiting for your supplements to kick in.

You've made the best decision possible here. The feelings you name "grumpiness" and "boredom" (I have put them in quotes because I believe that withdrawal and exhaustion are more accurate and run deeper) will, in time, dissipate.

In the meantime, what to do? Eat plenty of carbs and fat with your protein. Sleep as much as you can, when you can. Move gently. When you feel your anger rise up, acknowledge it and recognize that it is partly there because of change, partly there because your body is doing ANYTHING to get your adrenaline up for you, and partly there because it's just a symptom of adrenal fatigue - emotions feeling out of control. If you can, walk a bit or do something else that involves gentle movement to work it out of your system.

You're not doing anything wrong; you're doing everything right - and it's hitting you like a ton of bricks because adrenal fatigue IS a ton of bricks.  Every time you complain, be good to yourself in some way (and remind your brain that caffeine and sugar are not in any way your friends). Every time you get angry, move gently.

Part of the anger and boredom is brain fog, another adrenal fatigue symptom. It's just a really tough, frustrating place to be. But you have to get off the sugar and caffeine and eat real, whole food, and take your supplements, for a considerable period of time in order to see improvement.

And you are worth it. Keep at it.

Yes, actually I've been doing a lot of fat with each meal, I just didn't list it. I'm cooking everything in at least 1-2 tbsp of coconut or olive oil, eating a whole avo daily and eating olives, homemade mayo on meats. I was wondering if that's why I have not lost any weight, I have actually gained. I'm not on a scale but my pants are fitting tighter. You hit it exactly! Everyday feels like a shitty day and I get no reward from it.

Amy - a year and a half??? I know that it's going to take a while, but that seems impossible from where I am right now. Do you eat 100% compliant all the time? I'm planning on 30 days then doing about a 90/10 plan after that. I'm hoping that I don't crave sugar and coffee by that point! Should I be doing anything differently with AF than the normal plan? I'm sticking to the 3 big meals a day and when I have a rare snack, it's fruit. I don't do carbs at all with breakfast, not much at lunch when I'm working but I'll have a banana with almond butter when I'm home or apples and then a little fruit after dinner to feed the sugar cravings because they're so bad right now. If I'm not getting enough carbs, is that making my AF worse? I've been good at eating more protein with each meal for about 2 years now and adding fat. I have a very stressful job as a pharmacist and I have 8 year old twins. My hubby has a very demanding job and isn't home a lot so I do most of the shuffling here and there for activities and all of the cooking/cleaning/laundry. I had a great therapist for a while who helped me manage my perception of stress, but she left the practice and the person who took her place sucks so I stopped going. While I was with her and taking my supplements, I was able to sleep and for about 2-3 months after. Anyway, I think I'm going to add back in meditation. I also do yoga 1-2 times a week. It's a hot yoga for 60 minutes and I feel great after doing it. When I'm super stressed at work, I don't have the option to treat myself gently. I don't even have the option of peeing most days, so taking a walk is not going to happen.

• Moderators

but I'll have a banana with almond butter when I'm home or apples and then a little fruit after dinner to feed the sugar cravings because they're so bad right now. 

I don't know what to tell you about AF or the super stressful job, but I can tell you that this is not doing you any favors. When you crave sugar, have fat and protein. Really. It may take a while, but it will help. Right now, what's happening is your body is your body is demanding sugar and you're rewarding it with sugar (albeit it in the form of fruit, but it's still something sweet) -- so your body has no reason to stop craving/demanding sugar, because it knows it will get it. If you have fat and protein instead (leftover meat, hardboiled eggs, can of tuna) it may be hard at first, but eventually the cravings will stop.

I also have trouble sleeping and I know that it makes me crave sugar and carbs like crazy. One thing that helped me is to limit my fruit. I try to stick with the low fructose varieties like raspberries, blackberries and green apples. I only allow myself one serving a day if any. It was really hard at first but now I don't crave fruit as much. Also it's winter where I am so it is much easier to avoid fruit. 

To address the bloating issue - the bloating and discomfort is normal around this time.  

I am almost in the middle of doing my 6th whole 30.  I eat pretty close to template most of the time.  I had a super stressful December so I dove into all things sugar to cope.  On Day 8 - I felt slimmer.  But days 9 and 10 - forget it!  I felt bloated and uncomfortable and just bleh.  But I knew this was kind of normal so I did not let it play mind games.  I took a big sigh and moved on.

Please do keep in mind that if the bloating does continue you might have some issues with certain foods.  But don't worry about that for now.

So please try to relax and just work yourself through this entire process.  Remember this is a marathon (for health reasons) and not a race.

Yes, actually I've been doing a lot of fat with each meal, I just didn't list it. I'm cooking everything in at least 1-2 tbsp of coconut or olive oil, eating a whole avo daily and eating olives, homemade mayo on meats. I was wondering if that's why I have not lost any weight, I have actually gained. I'm not on a scale but my pants are fitting tighter. You hit it exactly! Everyday feels like a shitty day and I get no reward from it.

Amy - a year and a half??? I know that it's going to take a while, but that seems impossible from where I am right now. Do you eat 100% compliant all the time? I'm planning on 30 days then doing about a 90/10 plan after that. I'm hoping that I don't crave sugar and coffee by that point! Should I be doing anything differently with AF than the normal plan? I'm sticking to the 3 big meals a day and when I have a rare snack, it's fruit. I don't do carbs at all with breakfast, not much at lunch when I'm working but I'll have a banana with almond butter when I'm home or apples and then a little fruit after dinner to feed the sugar cravings because they're so bad right now. If I'm not getting enough carbs, is that making my AF worse? I've been good at eating more protein with each meal for about 2 years now and adding fat. I have a very stressful job as a pharmacist and I have 8 year old twins. My hubby has a very demanding job and isn't home a lot so I do most of the shuffling here and there for activities and all of the cooking/cleaning/laundry. I had a great therapist for a while who helped me manage my perception of stress, but she left the practice and the person who took her place sucks so I stopped going. While I was with her and taking my supplements, I was able to sleep and for about 2-3 months after. Anyway, I think I'm going to add back in meditation. I also do yoga 1-2 times a week. It's a hot yoga for 60 minutes and I feel great after doing it. When I'm super stressed at work, I don't have the option to treat myself gently. I don't even have the option of peeing most days, so taking a walk is not going to happen.

Regarding your question to me about how long it has taken me to feel better - I did my first Whole30 about 2 1/2 years ago. I don't eat Whole30 100% of the time, I've cycled in and out of Whole30 eating in the past 2 1/2 years. After about a year of much better eating than I had been doing, I realized I was still VERY tired. I went to a naturopathic physician, who tested my adrenals and it turned out they were pretty depleted. Once I started taking supplements, I felt better within a week (phew!) - but over the past year and a half I have continued to improve. These days I can even exercise, which is huge!

(I have eleven year old twins :wub: )

If you need more concrete suggestions, feel free to hang out here - if you need support to continue, same thing. Whole30 isn't doing you any harm, promise. It's just real food. Sending some "better days soon" vibes.

• Moderators

For best nutritional adrenal support, you might want to try carb cycling, which is something you can easily do within the parameters of the W30 template. The basic idea is that you focus on protein and fiber for meal one, have some starchy veg with meal two, and have plenty of starchy veg with meal three. Limit fruit and eat healthy fat on the low end of the template. It looks like you're hardly eating any starchy veg at all right now. It will help. Do not fear carbs!

Also, sorry to break the bad news, but hot yoga totally blows out your adrenals. You'd do much better with regular slow walks and yin yoga. Keep up the meditation. And best of luck!

Archived