February 1st

Stargazer93

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm trying to get my husband on board, but he LOVES bacon. Trying to find compliant bacon in this town is pretty hard. We have to drive 30+ minutes to a place that MAY have it.

*sigh*

that's why I have to get this all figured out ahead of time, so when we get to the store I know exactly what i'll need.

Hello!

Iam planning on starting February the first too. And would loooove to be part of a group with other wholes members.

I would start today but I dont feel ready for it. Or well prepared.

Maybe that is just an excuse to continue indulging in food and sweets which I feel the urge to eat?

Probably, but in the same time I like to have a set date for my start and to have some days before that for preparation.

I didnt even purchase the book yet. I am still searching for it in the bookstores.

Is everyone following the book "It starts with food"`?

Ill probably be doing this all by myself. 

My husband is not into another of my crazy "diets".

He feels just fine eating the way he does.

Iam much worse than him, addicted to sugar and overweight.

I havent told him about the whole30 because I dont want to embarras myself once again, if I fail...

But also I need to do this for my daughter who is suffering from foodallergies which is causing her stomach discomfort.

If I will eat clean she will too. She is 2 years old and I want to help her with her allergies and introduce her to healthy eating so she might not face the same problems as me with sugaraddiction, eating disorders, weight gains/loss, lack of selfesteem and selfconfidence...

Am I the only one scared to tell anyone we are doing this?

I have failed so many times before.....

• Moderators

I didnt even purchase the book yet. I am still searching for it in the bookstores.

It Starts With Food will explain all the whys behind the program. I found it helpful to understand why the rules are what they are, for me, that makes it easier to follow them.

However, you can successfully complete a whole30 without the book. Everything you need to know is here on the website. Start here: http://whole30.com/new/

If you read through all the information there, you should be good to go, but if you have other questions, you can try searching for answers by googling whole30 + whatever you're looking for. And if that doesn't help, come back here to the forum and ask.

I have failed so many times before.....

Am I the only one scared to tell anyone we are doing this?

That's how I was my first time doing this but it really is so much different than any cleanse... people look at it and automatically assume I'm not eating anything and they think it's restrictive and assume the worst for me... but it feels so good when you're half way through, feel amazing, slept better than you have in a long time and have so much more energy and everyone realizes this is from the Whole 30. It is hard, yes, but don't be afraid to tell people because telling people almost helps you keep going because then it's one more person that is keeping you accountable, whether they think you'll finish or not. Also you have plenty of time to prep so take the time right now to get some meals prepared. So far I have more sausage patties for the morning and taco meat and have frozen them... working on getting some other stuff together. Preparation is key, you can do this! Don't think straight from the start you're going to fail, think about how great you're going to feel on Day 30 when you made it! Positivity! :)

I would start today but I dont feel ready for it. Or well prepared.

Maybe that is just an excuse to continue indulging in food and sweets which I feel the urge to eat?

Probably, but in the same time I like to have a set date for my start and to have some days before that for preparation.

I would say take this time to prepare. I make frozen meals ahead of time and get non-perishable foods now, so then right before the program starts I just need to grab the fresh fruits and veggies. The best thing to do now though is wean yourself off some of the bad food you eat... I know recently I was pretty bad about drinking soda because someone in my family bought some and brought it home (grrrrr). I've had to tell myself enough is enough because I know if I continue to eat bad up to the start date, I'm going to feel awful on my first days on the Whole 30. I read the book "It Starts with Food" while I was doing my first Whole 30, not before. It is really interesting to learn the science behind everything the program is based off of, but if you don't have the time you definitely don't need to read it prior, as all the information for the diet is online.

I just decided to start whole30. I asked my husband to read the program and join me for a Feb 1 start. He agreed to Feb 2 because the super bowl is on the day before! I'll take it! I feel I need the support of my partner and if he were bringing tempting food into the house it would be much harder. I haven't started to prep food but I'm glad I read this thread because it's given me some good ideas!

I'm starting my first w30 on 1 February. I have a tentative meal plan for the entire month so I don't cave when I'm tired and don't have something planned out. I'm really excited to try this. I've been a vegetarian for almost a year... I started with a "reboot" (jointhereboot.com) and I loved it, but with a meat-eating husband, a vegetarian diet was hard to maintain for myself and I gained back all the weight I lost, and will reach for a lot of carbs and convenience foods. Although ethically, I'm not a fan of eating meat, I decided to go back to it because I know whatever I'm doing right now isn't the best for my body. My husband supports me but is a big carb fan, so he'll be doing an 80% w30, as I plan out the meals, but I know I won't get him to give up snacking :)

I'm starting my 3rd full whole30 on the 2nd.

I started today but I'm away next weekend for the first time in years and I hate having to try and stick to whole30 in restaurants (it is hard in the uk I find as asking for things to be changed etc in restaurants is seen as rude here so I don't go out in whole30s!) and I want to be able to toast my mother's birthday with champagne ;)

So I'll do it for 6 days then break it for 2 days and start properly again next Monday ;)

I'm starting my 3rd full whole30 on the 2nd.

I started today but I'm away next weekend for the first time in years and I hate having to try and stick to whole30 in restaurants (it is hard in the uk I find as asking for things to be changed etc in restaurants is seen as rude here so I don't go out in whole30s!) and I want to be able to toast my mother's birthday with champagne ;)

So I'll do it for 6 days then break it for 2 days and start properly again next Monday ;)

I understand what you mean about being "special" when going out. I live in Germany which is not vegetarian friendly, I've been eating cheese noodles whenever we want a night out, so the hubby is happy about me adding meat back in. Have a great weekend celebrating before your next w30!

I am! I had started one on dec 29 and made it 22 days but then had to stop but I felt great during it and want to start again. These forums really help!

Higgles, I'm not a vegetarian but we don't eat red meat and eat a lot of vegetarian meals. I found that eating so much meat on the whole 30 is difficult but well worth it.

Cleanup2015, this is not a "crazy diet". You owe it to yourself to do this. Your daughter will benefit for the rest of her life. Stick with us!

Stargazer93, I'm on board!

Hi all, I am starting Feb 1st as well. I did my first Whole 30 back in March of 2013 and didn't do the reintroduction properly, which I really regret. I need to lose weight, but also have sinus and allergy issues that I know are affected by my diet. I am going to re-read the book this week and start my prep. So excited to have others to talk with!

I have started and failed a few previous attempts, and I don't want to tell my husband I am going to do another one, so I understand that aspect of it.

Hi guys!

I'm currently on the 'starting Jan 1' thread, which I have really enjoyed. Feb. 1 will be my day 30, and I'm going to launch right away into a second round. This first time around has been really awesome as far as

a) just flat out getting here-following healthy and balanced eating parameters in the real world

B) building better habits because of this program in so many non-food related areas of my life. Because this program pretty much removes all the 'comfort food' options, it has forced me to find healthy ways to deal with stress and anxiety, tiredness, social awkwardness and all the rest of the emotions that so many of us (at least I'm pretty sure it's not just me) tend to bury under piles of food. Particularly sweet food :)

This is also not an overnight change, and with all due respect, not entirely credited to the whole30. For me this has been a LONG road-about 10 years of slowly, slowly building balance and peace in the area of weight and food.

So, cleanup2015, your comments really resonated with me. Don't ever tell yourself that you failed. You took a step or two in the right direction, maybe had a misstep (or two :) ) and now your taking further steps in a good direction. Life isn't all or nothing. We all screw up, dust ourselves off, get back on the wagon and keep rolling. I second whoever said above that you're worth it :) And you're worth it even if this program doesn't turn out "perfectly" either. For some of us it takes many years, and many tries, to find the right groove. But it will happen.

I have three big goals:

1. Daily posts, and listing meals. This has helped me be accountable.

2. REALLY working (maybe a 90/10 ratio?) on "template" meals: building meals around a protein, and not snacking between

3. I'm a cyclist, so seriously working on using the pre/post workout snack protocol to make more progress in fat adaption.

Cheers to everyone! I've REALY enjoyed the awesome active Jan 1st forum, so hopefully this can become another lively discussion.

Hi everyone!

I'm jumping on the bandwagon for February 1st as well! I've have a bad relationship with food since I was child and am very much so a binge eater. I'm doing this to help change that relationship, as well as help with my digestive issues, maybe clear my skip up, and lose some weight in the process.

My biggest concerns are:

- My all nighters... I'm in my junior year of college and have grown accustom to binging on comfort foods when studying for an exam or writing a long paper.

- Also I live with my parents, grandpa, uncle, and brother... who all eat terribly and are stubborn to not change their eating habits. Cleaning the pantry and the refrigerator isn't really an option for me, so I'll be dealing with a lot of temptations.

-Lastly I'm a poor college student. I've always eaten what my Mom buys, and now that won't be an option, so figuring out how to budget in these new foods will be quite the challenge.

Happy to have this forum for support as well as my best friend who will be completing it with me! Completely open to any advice you all have and looking forward to some changes!

~Jessica

We are! Hubby and I have been eating Whole30 for the most part (eating grain, dairy and sugar free but not reading labels) for a week now but aren't officially starting until the 1st because we have a special date on the 31st. The good thing is this date also takes us to a town where we can obtain the bacon needed. 

On another note, I have a chest cold and all I want is to have a hot bowl of malt 0 meal or cream of wheat or oatmeal......a grilled cheese sandwich with creamy tomato soup.......   <_<

What do y'all eat for comfort food when you are sick? I also have a very low energy level so getting in the kitchen to do a lot of cooking isn't going to happen. I will get some bone broth in the freezer for the future, though.

Like stravajunkie, I am from the Jan. 1st thread but I am not ready for reintroduction so I would like to join your thread and keep on working through my food hang-ups. I have had really wonderful success during this first whole 30.......reduced cravings, nearly slaying the Sugar Demon, increased energy, and better sleep........of course I have not weighed myself but will finally be able to this weekend! Someone asked about the book and from my whopping 27 days of experience, I'd say that reading the book completely through is very helpful, as is the $15 subscription to daily emails, following Whole 30 recipes, and Melissa Hartwig on social media (I only use Instagram myself), and of course active participation on the forum are the main things that kept me on track.

I look forward to spending Feburary with you guys! :)

Archived