February 1st

Stargazer93

Day 1 went OK for me, woke up late so I rushed to warm up the sausage patties I made (thank goodness for prep) and had a grapefruit in the morning so that tided me over till I could eat lunch that I packed last night at work. I devoured my lunch today and then dinner came and my dad had made sliced ham with our food slicer and sweet potatoes, complimented with a salad. I ate SO much ham it was funny.. you'd think it was the best thing in the world! But I still feel hungry... I know I ate a lot, still feel like I need more though.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Day 1 went OK for me, woke up late so I rushed to warm up the sausage patties I made (thank goodness for prep) and had a grapefruit in the morning so that tided me over till I could eat lunch that I packed last night at work. I devoured my lunch today and then dinner came and my dad had made sliced ham with our food slicer and sweet potatoes, complimented with a salad. I ate SO much ham it was funny.. you'd think it was the best thing in the world! But I still feel hungry... I know I ate a lot, still feel like I need more though.

Hey stargazer, just a quick check that the ham was compliant. It is very rare (but not impossible) to find ham that has not been cured with sugar. Would recommend you doublecheck that one! :)

Day 1 done. I'm hoping that since I ended my January whole30 attempt just a few weeks ago, I won't have such bad withdrawals from sugar. Ate three meals today which can sometimes be a challenge for me on Sundays. Made dinners for the next three days and lunch for the next two. On to day 2!

Good luck everyone!

I'm starting today as well - this is my first Whole30.  I'm through two meals and already feel like the thought of food alone is controlling 99% of my thoughts (especially since I've spent the last 4 hours preparing food for the week ahead)!!  I consider myself "skinny fat" - all of my fat is visceral and I look like I'm 5 months pregnant!  My goals are to rid myself of my sugar addiction, change my eating lifestyle as a whole, increase my energy levels/sleep better, and hopefully also decrease some of the belly fat.  The number one priority for me is in regards to sugar - for the last 8-10 years I have had the mindset that if my sugar levels drop at all, I need to eat something....usually it ends up being a poor food choice, too.  I have the typical hypoglycemic responses - irritability, shakiness, hunger, and anxiety.  I can already tell that this has a stronger hold on me than I imagined because even though I just finished meal 2 (full serving of protein, raw veggies, minimal berries) less than a half hour ago, I already think I'm feeling those same symptoms....I need to work on better distractions :)  I have a hubby who is partially on board with me and three small children who eat well the majority of the time but do also like to indulge on sweet treats.  Therefore, my pantry is still stocked full of temptations!

GOOD LUCK to everyone...including me :)

Thank you for acknowledging that your pantry is still stocked with "unsafe" food for your family, so is mine. Not tempted. Yet. My family is suppportive, and really just want to see me healthy, so if I start slowly removing these things from the pantry they won't notice, or that's what I am telling myself right now.  I am consumed by thoughts of food, and like you I am a sugar addict. The headaches were bad enough this afternoon that I took Advil (I was at work, so I couldn't take a nap, which is what I really wanted to do).

The afternoon munchies did hit. I was tired and wanting the quick sugar fix. My dear husband came home with a box of Little Debbie Nutty Bars. WHY!!?? I resisted but had the other half of my sweet potato from lunch with about a tsp of almond butter as my compliant way of dealing. I wasn't hungry enough to snack, so total emotional response.

Dinner was really good!

25hza07.jpg

Day 1, Meal 3

• Balsamic Roast Beef from the crockpot - YUM!
  • Spiralized carrots with lemon & garlic dressing
  • Black olives
  • Strawberries

I tried to make the spiralized carrot zoodles but couldn't figure out my machine so they ended up being little carrot shavings. I'll have to keep practicing. 

Some room for improvement but, for the most part, I feel good about today and prepared for tomorrow.

If your vinegar (or other product, for that matter) indicates "naturally occuring sulfites" or shows "Contains sulfites" somewhere on the label besides the ingredient list, it is fine for whole30. It's when a company ADDS sulfites to the product that were not there to begin with that it would be non compliant.

Watch your Dijon for wine, too, btw, that would actually make it non compliant. White wine vinegar as an ingredient would be fine.

Happy Shopping

Thank you for clearing that up for me! That's good news - a few things just moved from my "no" shelf to the "yes" shelf. And good tip about the white wine - haven't come across any of those yet though. 

Hey stargazer, just a quick check that the ham was compliant. It is very rare (but not impossible) to find ham that has not been cured with sugar. Would recommend you doublecheck that one! :)

Already checked- I know, I had the same thought when I saw what was made for dinner but double checked everything

Thank you for acknowledging that your pantry is still stocked with "unsafe" food for your family, so is mine. Not tempted. Yet. My family is suppportive, and really just want to see me healthy, so if I start slowly removing these things from the pantry they won't notice, or that's what I am telling myself right now.  I am consumed by thoughts of food, and like you I am a sugar addict. The headaches were bad enough this afternoon that I took Advil (I was at work, so I couldn't take a nap, which is what I really wanted to do).

I don't have kids at home, but I have a husband who loves to snack. We reorganized our kitchen this weekend, and I made a drawer just for his snacks. I have no need to go in that drawer and be tempted. He was pretty good about snacking last night, kinda hiding it and not making a big deal about what he was eating. He made us big mugs of tea so I at least had something to do when I heard him munching away... of course, I'm saying its easy when its only Day 1, lol

I started this morning with a spinach omelette with leftover chicken and homemade cauliflower soup (I make stock every time I roast a chicken and save the fat to cook with) with chicken and chopped hb egg on top.

I've done what I always do and stuff all of the non Whole30 stuff in one cupboard ;)

Well, Superbowl sunday is done. Certainly not the ideal day to start in my world :)

Went for a good ride in the morning, which always helps my cravings.

M1 eggs, sausage

M2 cauliflower and carrots, sausage, 1 orange

M3 pulled pork, guacamole, salsa, tomato slices

Regarding my smart goals:

M2 and M3 were kind of grazing, but I stayed out of the cake, cookies, biscotti, chocolates, chips, beer, licorice, popcorn, non compliant taco salad....so I would say not snacking and relatively balanced meals were accomplished, considering the day and sitting for many hours in the presence of so much junk food. I've been wrestling with a horrible cold the last week and a half and have a raging sore throat. So today I'm going to make some beef stew. something warm and comforting sounds really good.

I'm also going to add 2 more smart goals, on consideration of Dem's point about fruit: For me, NO FRUIT (can get carbs I need from starchy veggies) and I would like to try to make 1 new or creative compliant thing per day (even as simple as baking a squash or something I else I don't do regularly. I get in a food rut because my life is VERY busy and I have a large family, and cooking isn't something I enjoy.

So for today,4 goals:

- No eating between meals

- Template meals built around protein

- No fruit

- Cook something creative (the butternut squash that's been sitting on my counter forever)

Best of luck everyone!

I too am starting tomorrow, on February 1st.  I've been reading the book and printing out recipes to try.  I grew up on processed foods and never learned to cook anything that didn't come out of a box, so this will be incredibly challenging for me.  I've spent the last month clearing out the cupboards and using up the food that was around.  My New Year's resolution was to stop buying junk food, so this plan for February is a logical next step.

I ordered both Well Fed books, but I am going to try to keep things as simple as possible most days!

zipperific,

I am in the same boat.  Never really learned to cook and at that it came out of a box.  My husband is the cook in the family and since I am doing this on my own, I am learning to cook as well.  Prepping yesterday was quite a challenge, my vinaigrette exploded on me when using the immersion blender and I tried to make a couple of "big" recipes when I think I should have just started out more simple.  Feel overwhelmed today since I didn't get my breakfast made yesterday but I do have a stand by.  I hope to finish my prep tonight.  I also ordered both Well Fed books, and I want to make the meat sauce from her book tonight since I roasted some spaghetti squash yesterday. 

Good luck everyone!

Day 2 and feeling blue. I tossed and turned all night thinking about a problem In my life that I can't see a solution to. Today isn't going too well emotionally. Also looks to be a lazy day inside, too cold to go out. Hubby took our eldest on a mini road trip and they won't be home til late, so it's just me and the three littles today. I hope I don't go insane and am not tempted to go off plan. The good news is I don't have to cook for hubby today, so leftovers it is!

Today's meal plan:

M1: 3 scrambled eggs with kale and spaghetti squash. It was gross and I couldn't finish the veggies. Also had my last two pieces of compliant bacon, a fresh tomato (that was good at least), and coffee with coconut milk.

M2: planning on paleo pad Thai. Will try to roast the cauliflower that I didn't get around to yesterday.

M3: planning on leftover chili. Maybe some butternut squash or a salad to go with. I just realized I ate it last night with no veggies, oops!

Feeling a bit of a slower start to my day today. No headaches yet, but a sort of 'frustration' bubbling under the surface. I need to do a better job of meal planning longer term. I tend to buy groceries - lots of veggies, fruits, meats/seafood/eggs etc., then either look up a recipe and may have all of the ingredients or the other way around....what do we have and how can we throw it together. This is going to lead to a) boredom or b ) overwhelm/no plan/screw it let's go to McD! I want to avoid that, but today I'm just feeling like I don't care (even though I do, it's more the feeling).

Today's meals/plan

M1: 2 eggs scrambled with spinach and tomato cooked in coconut oil.

M2: Salad - romain hearts, leftover oven roasted chicken with fajita spice (made myself), little balsamic drizzle. Side of macademia and pistatios and half an apple.

M3 tonight: oven roasted chicken with a side of either cauliflower and broccoli or zuccini and brussel's sprouts.

I am finding including fats hard - like the chicken tonight, not cooking it in a pan with oil and the grocery store has consistently been out of avocados this week (we're being hit by some big storms on the East Coast of Canada...). So I should have some green olives randomly on the side? Coat the chicken (it's whole) in olive oil before baking? I don't eat that many nuts and in the last two days I've been including more nuts...but I don't want to eat nuts with two meals a day. I should buy some celery because I'd eat that with almond butter! But just having almond butter, again feeling random about what to do here with the fats....

• Administrators

Greenhm, there are lots of ways to get fat.  Coconut milk, oil, shreds, flakes.  Homemade mayo. Homemade sunshine sauce/pesto/babaganoush etc. Fattier cuts of meat.  Olives.  "Finishing" oils like sesame etc. drizzled over your veggies.  Fattier canned fish (eg. sardines). Whole eggs.

You're right in not wanting to overdo it on nuts, they can be hard on some people digestively (bloat, gas, diarrhea) and they are a "food without brakes" for many others.  We recommend nuts in moderation.  Same goes for nut butters.

Hi Everyone -

I started today! My coffee with coconut milk wasn't as awesome as the trial run I did last week. I used a different brand, the Sprouts store brand instead of the Thai brand I used last week. It never hardened like the other one when in the fridge, almost as if it is homogenized. Anyways, plan on getting the Thai brand next time so I can make coconut whipped cream which should do better things for my coffee - hopefully. I'm a half and half girl!

Armed with my coffee and a happy toddler, I prepped veggies for tonight’s dinner. Dinner will be the hardest for me, as I always have a starving 1st grader, tired husband and cranky toddler who missed mom all day. If I can prep in advance or make crockpot meals, it will be a much more pleasant experience.

• Breakfast was a left over sausage, bell pepper and green onion scramble with a half of avocado.
  • Pre WO snack was a chocolate chia seed pudding - just cocoa powder, 1TBS of chia seeds and a 1/4 cup of coconut milk.
  • No post WO snack because I ate lunch within 30 minutes of the gym.
  • Lunch was red leaf lettuce wraps with roast beef and a mustard/mayo sauce with garlic salt, using the homemade mayo I whipped up on Saturday. And a side of chopped up tomatoes with salt and pepper. YUMMY!
  • Dinner will be hamburger patties with sautéed onions and mushrooms on top, a half of avocado and sweet potato oven baked fries
  • Sipping on ice water throughout the day at work with a slice of grapefruit in it

So far so good. Did have a small headache late morning, but eating the chia seed pudding took care of it. Work out went good, no light headedness.

Hi everyone, 

Start of day three for me here today. 

Yesterday afternoon was like a train wreck! Headaches, weak, and just totally out of it. This morning I accidentally got out of the lift on the wrong floor in my office, put my lunch in the fridge and didn't even realize until I got most of the way to my desk - "huh, I guess they moved the furniture.." Errr, no - you're just in the wrong place!  :wacko:

It's interesting, because the food I'm eating isn't that different from what I used to eat, but I think the elimination of alcohol, dairy (cheese addict!) and just incidental sugar in things I didn't even realize (like the liquid stocks I was using in my cooking - really?!) is really having an impact.

Meals so far have been:

Day 1: (terrible hangover from the night before - what was I thinking?! One last midnight binge on wine and cheese - what a fool)

M1: Poached eggs, bacon, spinach, mushroom, avocado

M2: Salad (greens, tomatoes, peppers, scallions) with tuna and herbs, lemon vinaigrette

M3: Roast chicken, potatoes in duck fat, broccoli, carrots, peas

Day 2:

M1: Scrambled eggs with ham, spinach and tomatoes

M2: Salad with roast chicken, avocado, lemon vinaigrette, side of carrot sticks 

M3: Garlic and rosemary lamb chops, cauliflower puree (with coconut milk - turned out pretty well, and felt a lot like comfort food!), broccoli, carrots, asparagus

Day 3:

M1: Smoked salmon and avocado on cucumber

M2: Salad with lamb, olives, broccoli, asparagus, peppers, tomatoes with balsamic vinaigrette

M3: No idea yet - have lamb mince in fridge, thinking might make merguez sausage from Well Fed 2 - such great books! I liked the look of the tahini dressing too, maybe a bed of cabbage with that on top? Need something else though. Maybe a carrot salad might go well. There's a nice Jamie Oliver one that is probably Whole30 ok.

Made the olive oil mayo from Well Fed last night. I used to make mayo with grapeseed oil - I noticed virtually no difference with the light flavored olive oil. Why haven't I been making it like that before then?! I also need to get some chicken broth on tonight, and maybe some pumpkin soup and celery soup to freeze for emergencies given I travel a lot for work. I also saw a recipe somewhere for a brined chicken breast, either Well Fed or Nom Nom paleo I'm guessing. I might give that a try too as I thawed a chicken breast that I need to use. Sounds overly ambitious though given how I felt in the afternoon yesterday! 

Hope you're all surviving your Day 2-3 "hangovers" better than me  :)

Feeling a bit of a slower start to my day today. No headaches yet, but a sort of 'frustration' bubbling under the surface. I need to do a better job of meal planning longer term. I tend to buy groceries - lots of veggies, fruits, meats/seafood/eggs etc., then either look up a recipe and may have all of the ingredients or the other way around....what do we have and how can we throw it together. This is going to lead to a) boredom or b ) overwhelm/no plan/screw it let's go to McD! I want to avoid that, but today I'm just feeling like I don't care (even though I do, it's more the feeling).

Today's meals/plan

M2: Salad - romain hearts, leftover oven roasted chicken with fajita spice (made myself), little balsamic drizzle. Side of macademia and pistatios and half an apple.

M3 tonight: oven roasted chicken with a side of either cauliflower and broccoli or zuccini and brussel's sprouts.

I am finding including fats hard - like the chicken tonight, not cooking it in a pan with oil and the grocery store has consistently been out of avocados this week (we're being hit by some big storms on the East Coast of Canada...). So I should have some green olives randomly on the side? Coat the chicken (it's whole) in olive oil before baking? I don't eat that many nuts and in the last two days I've been including more nuts...but I don't want to eat nuts with two meals a day. I should buy some celery because I'd eat that with almond butter! But just having almond butter, again feeling random about what to do here with the fats....

Hi Greenhm,

Hope you're feeling better today. I think you're doing well if you didn't have a headache!

I made a bit of a list of a few "easy" emergency recipes I could think of for moments that I feel a bit bler - for me, it's things like canned tuna with salad, soups I can reheat, or chicken broth with meat and veges thrown in. Maybe that would help if you haven't done that already?

Just on the veges you mentioned above, I usually roast Brussels sprouts in the oven, just cut them in half, throw them in a roasting pan with some duck fat or ghee, sprinkle with diced bacon or prosciutto (if you can find Whole30 ok version without sugar etc), and put the lot in the oven at about 180-200 degrees Celsius. Usually takes around 20-30mins until they start to kind of caramelize and go all tasty looking!

This might give you a bit more fat than just steaming them, and a bit more variety on the plate if you added other steamed veges too?

Alternatively could do garlic zucchini, that's usually pretty nice (or it is with butter anyway!) -  melt ghee, add garlic and then zucchini sticks to a saucepan and cook until getting a little soft (I hate overcooked zucchini. Ugh!). Could add a small squeeze of lemon and some chopped parsley at the end if being fancy.

I started my first Whole30 yesterday! My husband and niece are on board with me thus far. Yesterday went great. Today (day 2) went good for the first half and then I got a wicked headache in the afternoon and of course my 2 year old picks today not to nap so I didn't get to nap with him. Made yummy lime shrimp and avocado salad (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/05/zesty-lime-shrimp-and-avocado-salad.html) for dinner and it was so easy to make thankfully, then I snuck upstairs afterwards to be alone (not only is my head killing me but I'm already getting aggravated and snappy very easily. Isn't it too soon for the "Kill All the Things" stage??). 

I laid in bed reading It Starts With Food for maybe an hour and couldn't stop thinking about eating food, as I still felt hungry. I realized I don't think I ate enough for dinner but my stomach is taking a bit to get used to this new type of eating so it got queasy at dinner, so that's why I hadn't eaten much. So I snuck back down (kids are in bed now thanks to husband) and heated up some sweet potatoes, and added some cinnamon, salt and ghee to them. That hit the spot and I feel way better hunger-wise now.

Day two - I feel like I ate so much food today!

Biggest Struggle: Late afternoon munchies. I wanted something sweet and to occupy my mouth. I wasn't hungry, just bored and watching the clock for the day to end.

Biggest Triumph: Passing up dessert at an evening meeting tonight.

Feeling: I'm feeling ok emotionally but my stomach really hurts! Like bad gas, maybe? Ouch! I often have an upset stomach at night, and it's a big reason that I'm doing the Whole30, so having an upset stomach is discouraging but I'm trying to remember this is only day two.

Food:

2cwwyut.jpg

M1: Egg cups with spinach and chicken sausage, avocado, grapefruit

M2: Lettuce cups with grilled chicken, black olives, and hot sauce, baked sweet potato, apple, almond butter

M3: Balsamic roast beef, green beans, roasted parsnips, blueberries

Day 2 Recap: Overall, I felt pretty good. Around 3-4 pm I started to crash. This is the time of day I usually sneak some candy from my admins desk. I had really wanted to try a new yoga class after work but I didn't think I was going to make it. I made some tea, started to feel better and made it to class, which I'm really happy about. However, because I was going to be home late the hubby was going to make dinner. He ended up with a stomach bug so by the time I got home I was starving and nothing was ready. I snacked on nuts and olives which I didn't rreally want to do but I was so hungry. Dinner was really late and so I stayed up later than normal to digest. I don't think I ate too teribbly beforehand so I'm going into Day 3 mentally strong. I bought a small bag of nuts and the Apple Pie larabars as a "just in case I need them", for my desk at work.

M1: Egg bake with veggies (I pre-made for the week and bring them to work in the morning)

M2: (Leftovers)- Garlic and artichoke stuffed chicken, cauliflower mash, asparagus and a small salad w/avocado

*Pre-dinner snack: handful of olives and nuts

M3: Marinated pork chop with layered Ratatouille, garlic roasted potatoes and mediteranean salad w/artichoke heart, olives and avocado.

I think I need to add more to my breakfasts, my egg bake is about 2 eggs with a ton of veggies. I know we should have more eggs but the baking containers can only hold so much. I want to add some berries to breakfast but they go bad so fast I hate buying them. I'm not sure what else is a good portable breakfast option as I work out before I go to the office so I eat at my desk at work. Any thoughts?

** Edited to mention that I realized my fish oil supplement and multi-vitamin both have soy in them. I don't take the multi but I do take the fish oil daily, luckily I caught it before I took it today. My calcium supplement had sugar and dyes in them, so I'm tossing that one. I also take a B6 and Magnesium that were safe. The B12 is good too, but since I'm eating meat again I don't really have a need for B12 anymore, that one is really big for vegetarians. So watch your supplements, I never really thought to check on some of that stuff!

Today's meals/plan

Here are the two ways I've done meal planning that I found successful.

A: When I lived really close to a grocery store, I wouldn't do one big shopping trip. I would look up a recipe online and then go out any buy what I needed just for that night. Pros: I wasted less food because I only bought exactly what I needed. Con: You can get caught up in convenience food if you're tired by the time you get to the store, and you're more likely to sway from your healthy choices IMO (for example, saying, oh why bother with this recipe when that premade pot pie is sitting there in the deli). It can also be more expensive because you're not pairing meals together that use like ingredients.

B: On Sat or Sun morning, I sit down with my coffee and open pinterest and a word doc. I start finding meals I would like to try, or have tried, and see if I can find similar ingredients (like I never use a whole can of tomato paste, so if I have two recipes that both use it, I don't feel like a food waster). For this W30, I used an excel document and listed out the date, day of the week, M1, M2, and M3- and a column for any variations for the hubbys food as he isn't really doing the w30. I plan out as much as I can, and then write up a big list and go shopping once. In reality I usually have to hit the store at the end of the week too for some more lettuce and random things I didnt include. Each morning I leave a note of what we're making so whoeever is home first can start cooking or prepping. I am more likely to stay on plan this way because I have everything available to me, BUT I do find I waste food sometimes because the amount I bought is too much and it goes bad by the end of the week. I hate wasting food! We make 4 servings of each meal and have leftovers for lunch, that has made life so much easier, and any additional leftovers gets frozen for lazy meals or when we're too tired to cook but don't want to be unhealthy and eat out.

Option B is more time consuming, but I found that if I don't go to the store with a list, I spend more money and waste more food. I hope this helps :)

I didn't realize how much I would miss artificial sweeteners!  I had stopped using products that were high in sugar about a year ago, but I replaced everything with the artificial stuff.  (edited to add:  I cut out the sugars that were obvious to me, like candy, cookies, cake, and soda.  I didn't realize how much sugar I was still eating in things like ketchup and BBQ sauce!)

I thought I had done a good job on the meal planning.  As it turns out, I had really only planned for dinners, because now, every day, I have a hard time figuring out what to eat for breakfast and lunch.  I'll get better at this I'm sure.  I'm having trouble with the vegetables.  It's hard to get into the habit of something you've never liked before.  I'll keep trying.  I am committed!

I also realize that I need to spend more time on this board to get the support that I need.  

Archived