Nice meal for guests?

keightlynn

My husband and I are currently on Day 22 of our Whole 30 and it's been going really well. Tomorrow we will be having dinner guests and I want to make something nice.  Any recommendations of a good "guest" dinner?  For the side I'm going to make the butternut squash recipe from Well Fed.  I have both Well Fed & Well Fed 2 cookbooks.  What's a good main course guest meal? Thanks!!

Roast Beef, Pork Ribs, Roast Chicken, Kalua Pig recipe from Nom Nom Paleo, BBQ meat like steak, hamburgers, salmon. Think about what you would make them if you weren't on a whole30 and then substitute for whole30 compliant ingredients. Good Luck!

Has anyone tried the Shepherd's Pie from Well Fed?  I was thinking of making that since we have all the ingredients (but using actual potatoes since they are allowed now).  I'm going to do an acorn squash / apple soup for the side I think.  It's a recipe my dad makes that is mostly Whole 30, and I will just adjust it slightly (it calls for a small amount of cream so I will just sub coconut milk).  Also, we only have water in the house currently.  Do you offer your guests other drinks?

Has anyone tried the Shepherd's Pie from Well Fed?  

I have made the Shepherd's Pie from Well Fed.  I prefer it without coconut milk in the cauliflower, but either way it is quite yummy.  You'll get 4 hearty or 6 small servings from the recipe as written.

Re: offering guests drinks, that's a tricky one. It would be one thing if you were having a large party, but I get the sense this is dinner with another couple?  I'd at least have some sparkling water or flavored seltzer available, in addition to the water. Whether you offer them something stronger, that might be a little awkward if they're drinking and you're not in your own home.  You could explain that you're choosing to be off alcohol for 30 days ... hmm ... will be interested to see other folks' thoughts on this.

Well, that's how we do it here.   Come in for a heaping helping of our hospitality.  We are going to stuff you to the gills and send you home with a full belly.     I  like getting ready for a party,  wish I was there to help you make the place settings and decorate.   :D 

• Moderators

Do you offer your guests other drinks?

I like the idea of sparkling water or seltzer, and might even make a mocktail-like drink of a little fruit juice with some sparkling water and maybe a bit of fresh fruit for garnish -- if I wanted to do something fancy. Or an infused water that you put in the fridge tonight or in the morning, something with pretty slices of fruit in a clear glass pitcher -- still just water, but just stepped up a notch. And even though I typically only have water in my house, if I'm having people over I make iced tea, because iced tea is just what we do here -- but that may not be a thing where you are, so if it's not, then don't do that. (And if you do make iced tea, be sure you have sugar for people to sweeten it with, since some people only drink sweet tea.)

I just got the Mediterranean Paleo cookbook and there are tons of amazing and delicious recipes, and they aren't complicated to make either. I made a lamb and ginger stew that was so delicious I am making a second batch again. Also Kahlua Pig from Nom Nom Paleo will give you TONS of delicious shredded pork that you could do tacos, stir fry, or soup with! That cookbook is another amazing one that would be great for guests!

I like to make chili for company.  I used either diced sweet potato or butternut squah in place of beans, and most people don't notice the difference.  This weekend I had my sister over and for a treat we made oven baked sweet potato "chips" and home made guac.  I even splurged on dessert. (Fresh mango slices with some coconut milk poured over - SO good I felt like I was sinning!)

• Moderators

Pan-fried salmon with slow-roasted tomatoes plus a veggie side (like roasted green beans or roasted asparagus) is my go-to fancy yet easy meal. Simple ingredients too. Fresh thyme is a must.

I used to make this version of it, now I obviously skip the risotto (way too much work for a so-so side anyway) and sub another veggie.

You roast the tomatoes in the oven for 1 1/2 hours while you are doing other things like prep your asparagus or green beans, put on makeup, tidy up the house. When they are close to being ready you pan-fry the fish for just 7 minutes total. Plate and done!

Archived