Larabar

bnlauren

• Administrators

Hi Lauren,

The best way to find information is to do a google search, Whole30 and whatever your question is.  There is a TONNE written about Larabars but it ultimately boils down to this: as long as the ingredients are compliant, the bar is compliant.  However.  They are emergency food only.  They are as close to a candy bar as you can get while on the Whole30 and they hit up your body in the same way as a candy bar would.  If you are on a long hike or travelling or had an emergency meeting run late then a Larabar could save you.  They aren't meant to be planned as a meal component or used as dessert or a treat.

• 2 weeks later...

Before my Whole 30 I had a Larabar problem (loved them too much) so I ruled them out for most of my Whole 30 until yesterday (day 28) when a special situation meant I had an 8 hour window where I couldn't eat and couldn't bring a bag lunch. I had a legal Larabar around hour 5 and it tasted so sweet to me that I almost couldn't finish it . . . and then I got a little headache - and I very rarely get headaches.

So, I guess I've kicked my Larabar habit, but I would recommend as many other have, that they be avoided if possible. Even though the sugar is natural, it's still sugar.

Are there any "emergency" bars like Larabar that don't have cashews or pistaccios in them?  I am allergic to these nuts, and feel very sick even if I have a trace amount.  I plan to give my Whole 30 my whole 110% effort, but my work/exercise/travel schedule does sometimes present a window where I might need to eat on the run  In most cases I can bring a little cooler in my car and keep stuff cold, but sometimes too much time goes by and I would need something.  Thanks for any advice. 

Are there any "emergency" bars like Larabar that don't have cashews or pistaccios in them?  I am allergic to these nuts, and feel very sick even if I have a trace amount.  I plan to give my Whole 30 my whole 110% effort, but my work/exercise/travel schedule does sometimes present a window where I might need to eat on the run  In most cases I can bring a little cooler in my car and keep stuff cold, but sometimes too much time goes by and I would need something.  Thanks for any advice. 

There are varieties that use just almonds or just pecans. Just read the labels.

I save the Larabars for when we're out running around and I'm about to have an absolute meltdown if I don't get food right, bloody now. I made it through my first Whole30 with only two or three Larabars and this time I think I can finish with zero on the books.

Yes, it's true.   

Are there ever any real emergencies that require a Larabar?   I can't think of any.  Most people live in town or city.  There's always another quality whole food nearby within walking distance that won't disguise all of our efforts for the foreseeable future.   

• Moderators

For emergency food, I second GFChris. Epic bars (like soft jerky bars) or RXBars (like a Larabar, only more protein) are better choices.

The coffee cacao flavor has Dates, Egg Whites, Almonds, Figs, 100% Chocolate, Coffee, Natural Coffee Flavor, Sea Salt.

Be careful though, these suckers will keep you from beating back the sugar dragon. True Emergencies Only!

Thank you.  I need to go look for some of these bars for my 45 miles of running between Sat and  Sun this weekend.  I'm just really not sure what to eat for two long runs back to back, followed by going straight to work until late both days.  I'm sure as I get further along and read more recipe ideas, I'll learn some concoctions to make for long workouts, but I just don't have time to do that before Sunday's 30 miler, and I don't want to be passed out on the trail somewhere.  Yes, there are true emergencies where I go from one appointment right to the next, and there's not time to prepare food or go to the store.  I have been packing a lunch box every day, but I have honestly been eating more than I thought I would, so I always run out of food in the lunch  box before my day is over and left arriving home tired and famished.  

I have been packing a lunch box every day, but I have honestly been eating more than I thought I would, so I always run out of food in the lunch  box before my day is over and left arriving home tired and famished.  

Since this has happened more than once, I would up the amount you're packing immediately. Make sure that you're following the template and incorporating enough fat or else you'll never be satisfied. Pack two template's worth of food and then if you get stuck going from work to another appointment, you already have your dinner with you.

I ordered some RX Bars, yayyyyy!!!!  I'm going to some of the more specialty grocery stores tomorrow if I have time between runs and appointments..........weekends are crazy for me.  Marathon High, volunteering and 14 mile run with the kids followed by 5k leg of the Wolfson's Childrens Relay, then 2 customers, and theatre tickets in the evening......I hope I get to buy some compliant fueling options for Sunday's 30 miler in between all of that, which starts at 6am. I made it through Day #5..............Good night!!!!

I eat Larabars because I am a nursing mom, and I feel hungry all of the time. I am doing whole30 to learn about food and that is my only goal. I want to eat more healthy and know my labels and what I am putting in my body. I do eat these because I nurse, work full time, and run at least 30+ miles a week. I cannot always make a quick meal in between. :) So, this is my go to option until I can can order some rx bars.

• Moderators

akbuckey,

Totally understand the busy and hungry factor for a nursing mom! You definitely need more food than the average person. There's a lot of good advice over in the Breastfeeding forum if you haven't perused that.

Larabars aren't your best choice. We want you to eat real food for these 30 days, and we ask that you keep Larabars for emergencies like during a day of travel or getting stuck in the office unexpectedly or traffic.

Try adding high carb veggies like sweet potatoes (it's easy to bake several at the beginning of the week, then keep them in the fridge). Eat a "mini-meal" rather than just sweet fruit when you're hungry - it should include protein, fat and veggies. Keep a bag or two of baby carrots in the fridge for quick and easy access. With a little planning, your results will be so much better!

Good luck and enjoy your time with your little one!

Archived