Help. I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up

I've lost about 140 lbs over the past several years by following a typical "eat less, exercise more" mantra. Although I've been relatively sucessful, I still have about 30 lbs to lose and over the past several years I've just yo yo-ed up 20 lbs, down 20 lbs.

So I decided to embark on a Whole 30 to try to change my relationship with food, to stop the obsession I have with tracking every morsel that enters my mouth. I want to just eat real food and not obsess over it so much.

I got to day 9. Things were going really well I felt great, positive, happy, lighter (mentally and physically) and then I had family come into town. The first day I did great. We went out to eat and I made great choices, brought my own dressing etc. It was a huge win for me. But the next day I just lost it and started eating everything in sight. Candy, ice cream, whatever. They finally left and I tried to get back on track today but lost it and started binge eating again.

I need help getting back on track. Any words of wisdom appreciated.

Congratulations for taking the steps to become a healthier!  Losing 140 lbs is no small feat.

I'm sorry you are having troubles.  Just know that you are not the only one to have this type of experience.  For many of us, when we eat junk food (especially carby sweet foods) it can be really difficult to pull ourselves out of that binge cycle.  Going forward, two things that can be helpful are to take it one meal at a time and be sure each meal fits the template (http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf).  Making sure not to skimp on fat and maybe going on the higher end with fats can help to curb the cravings.

Maybe this article can help:   http://whole30.com/2014/03/dear-melissa-whole30-road/

Good Luck, you can do it!

Thanks for the article and book suggestions. I'll check them out.

Kirkor -- On the question of why I want to lose 30 lbs - it's really so I can be a better runner and more competitive cyclist. I have a lot of power, but just can't compete against women who weigh 135 lbs when I'm 180. It really slows me down. It stinks to be beaten at a race not because I'm not strong enough, but because I'm trying to haul around 30-40 more pounds than any other woman out there. I'm sick of coming in 2nd.

Archived