Peaceful Eating

ThyPeace

So today is Day 1 of my second Whole 30.  I will probably forget to use the usual "Meal 1" nomenclature, so if I say "Breakfast," I hope you know what I mean.

I started today because DH is out of town for a few days, and I have an easier time doing this when he's not home.  He's supportive and eats pretty clean, but just doesn't love eating Whole30 -- and has fewer tummy issues than I do, so is not as motivated as I am.  That said, he grilled me chicken, butternut squash, and potatoes last night while I was doing DD's birthday party -- punch, pizza, and ice cream cake, good grief.

Breakfast this morning was later than usual; DD has the day off of school, so we didn't get up until almost 7am.  Then DH was leaving, so I delayed.  Ate around 8:20.  Two eggs, sauteed cabbage, red pepper, and sweet potato (previously baked), in coconut oil.  Slced tomatoes, tea.

Hungry by 10:30.  Stretched it some, but gave in at 10:50am.  I was ready for steamed fish and broccoli, so well, yeah.  Hungry.  Grilled chicken, baked potato, grilled butternut squash, celery and carrot sticks, butter and olive oil for the potato and chicken, cherries, blueberries.  Purposely ate more than I did at breakfast, but even 20 minutes after I finished eating, I'm not full.  No longer starving, but definitely not full.  Come to think of it... I'm going to supplement with some coconut cream.  Hope that helps. 

Now it's time to run a bunch of errands.  Need to be home by 4pm and eat by 5:30 -- we have food packing duty at the food pantry tonight, so will have to be back out by 6:30.

ThyPeace, taking donations to the pantry this afternoon, but can't clear the house of all of the non-plan food.  DH and DD would starve.

Rest of Day 1:

Survived a trip to a burger place with DD.  Wasn't hungry, so didn't eat anything, but oh, the smells.

I remembered, about halfway through the afternoon, that the pain and cramping in my stomach was not so much hunger as a shift in the body's processes.  And then I realized it was also the beginning of a very heavy menstrual flow.  Yay, thanks body.  Everything at once, why not? 

Anyway, for supper I made a meat sauce out of onion, cabbage, zucchini, homemade tomato sauce, and lean ground pork.  Sauteed in olive oil, flavored with italion herbs, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Ate it with a baked potat and butter, leading DD to comment, "THAT's your supper?!?"  I had a banana while it was cooking.

Didn't feel much need to snack last night -- the food pantry is a good way to get a lot of activity and not sit around the house.  And to understand up close why so many people are not getting much in the way of good nutrition.  They do try at the food pantry, but even on the good days, it's not what I consider to be great nutrition.

Day 2:

Breakfast (6:50am):  Four eggs (DD didn't want hers) with sauteed vegetables and strawberries, tea to drink

Lunch (12:45pm):  Grilled chicken, a few french fries (cooked in olive oil -- I don't recommend this for every day, but oh, the salt, the salt!), grilled butternut squash, banana, an avocado, and a quarter-ounce of unsweetened chocolate*

Snack (4pm):  Apple and water (didn't have my almonds with me, which I would usually have with an apple).

Supper (6:50pm):  Broth (homemade) and applesauce (homemade, unsweetened) so far, I'm getting to the rest of it, but I'm not that hungry so may pass and go to bed early instead.

It snowed here today, and the cold is in my bones.  I never used to understand it when old people used to say that.  Now, I am the old people.

Day 3 went well.  Little to no hunger.  Enjoyed my meals, chatted with the nutritionist who is happy I've started my next Whole 30 because she likes how I eat when I'm doing it.

Breakfast (7:00am):  3 eggs, brussels sprouts, zucchini, bell pepper mix, sauteed in coconut oil.  Tomato slices.

Lunch (split between 11:15am and 12:30pm; only had a few minutes between meetings):  Salmon salad, pork-and-veggie mix leftovers, carrot sticks, apple.

Supper (7:30pm):  Salad with "taco" ground beef (flavored with cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and home made salsa), chopped olives, red pepper, tomato.  Grapefruit and blueberries.  Small square of unsweetened chocolate.  (See here for the lowdown on chocolate.  http://whole30.com/2013/12/great-cocoa-debate/)

January 23 (Day 4): 

Breakfast (7:15am): Eggs, veggies, and potato sauteed in coconut oil, half a tomato, two strawberries.

Lunch (split, half at 11:15, half at 12:45):  Ground pork and veggies in tomato sauce, apple, almonds, mixed raw vegetables, sweet potato, unsweetened chocolate

Supper (7:30pm):  Tuna salad with olives and capers, salad greens, balsamic viniagrette, That's It apple/strawberry bar, almonds

Got on a plane at 8:50pm after working a full day.

January 24 (Day 5 and start over):

Breakfast:  Chicken, olive oil, carrots, brussels sprouts

Lunch:  Chicken, ham, broccoli, grape tomatoes, potatoes, mayo*, buttery spread*, cabbage salad with a sweet dressing*, apple

Supper:  Ground beef patty with lettuce, tomato, pickles, and onion, tuna, mayo*, peas*, almonds.

Up at 5:45am to leave the house before 7am.  Drove 5 hours to a funeral, then five hours back.  Finally back and in bed at 11:30pm.

*Non-compliant items, so starting over.

January 25 (Day 1):

Breakfast:  None.  Slept until 10:45am.

Lunch (1:15pm):  Pork chop, baked kale chips, carrots, half a sweet potato, butter, homemade unsweetened applesauce

Spending the rest of the day driving 7 hours back home.  Through snow, of course. 

January 25 (continued):

In between (5:00pm): Apple, almonds

Supper (8:00pm): Hamburger patty with lettuce,tomato,etc., and a baked potato

This feels like it has not been enough food yet for the day. We're still driving, so maybe I'll have a banana and a few more nute. Travel days are easier than they used to be, but still a challenge. And this week will be harder with DH home and without having done the meal planning yet. Let's see.....

ThyPeace, thinking about how to work the next few days.

Didn't eat any more on the 25th, except for carrot slices and bites of veggies while sauteeing them for the next morning's breakfast. It was enough.

January 26 (Day 2):

Breakfast (7am): Three eggs with sauteed veggies and a banana

Lunch (12:30pm): Tuna with olive oil, horseradish, mustard, curry powder. Mixed raw vegetables, almonds.

Snack (6pm): Apple, That's It mango-apple bar

Supper (7:45pm): Lamb curry. Yum! Also mango kombucha that I got to try. Not sure I like it.

ThyPeace, up way too early.

January 27th:

Breakfast (6:50am): Three eggs with sautéed veggies and applesauce.

Lunch (can't remember what time but between 11:30 and 1): tuna salad with olive oil, horseradish, etc., Apple, almonds, and raw veggies.

Supper (6:30): grilled burger, baked potato and butter, salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, unsweetened chocolate.  Had some more kombucha.  Not quite as bad this time.

Had a nasty stomach ache in the afternoon, and my body decided to get rid of everything in my colon and large intestine all at once. This is an ongoing intermittent problem that I haven't been able to track to a specific food. It may just be too much fat rather than a single food. That's been an issue in the past.

January 28 (day 4):

Breakfast (6:50): eggs, veggies, applesauce, coconut oil, butter

Lunch(12:45): ham, raw veggies, apple, almonds

Supper (7:30): eggs, different veggies, bacon, applesauce, blueberries

Stomach is back to normal with apparently no lingering effects, Not a lot of appetite, but I feel okay.

ThyPeace, spent too much time with people today. Not an extrovert...

January 29:

Breakfast (7;00am): Lamb curry

Lunch (12:45pm and starving ): tuna with olive oil, horseradish, mustard, curry powder, salad greens, carrot and celery sticks, two apples, almonds

Snack: banana, almond butter, coconut oil, unsweetened chocolate, apple

Later snack: mango kombucha

Wasn't hungry in the evening so didn't eat. Freezing all day. -- they should keep blankets in those conference rooms!

ThyPeace, it would make the meetings friendlier, too.

January 30:

Breakfast (7:30): Three eggs, potato, butter, tea

Lunch (12:15): salad with barbecued beef, salsa, guacamole, two apples, almonds

Snack (5:00pm): pistachios

Supper (9:00pm): hamburger patty, mustard, horseradish, lettuce tomato pickle onion. Baked potato, butter

January 31:

Breakfast (11:30am): fruit salad

Lunch (1:30pm): Moroccan beef stew with slivered almonds

Supper (6:30pm): cauliflower soup with bacon crumbles, grilled chicken, grilled eggplant

ThyPeace, hungry again, but going to bed instead of eating

Archived