Whole30 and low cortisol

I'm on day 14 and for the past 5 or 6 days I've just felt wiped out. I am seeing some positive results but I just don't have any energy. I struggle with low cortisol and I'm wondering if there's anything special I need to be doing because of this? I've been trying to include sweet potato at every meal to make sure I keep my carbs up, I haven't been snacking, my meals are keeping meal satiated until the next. I do feel a little hungry at bedtime but not eating after dinner helps me sleep better, maybe I'm going to long without food at night?

Whole30 can be really difficult for some, regardless of cortisol levels. It may be that you're just hitting the rough part of the program. I know that I struggled with lethargy during the first half of my first Whole30 because I was so used to sugar and caffeine keeping me up artificially. It took a while before the good food I was eating kicked in and started to power me. This is typical of most, and the low cortisol could only be making it rougher on you than on other people who don't have the condition.

In any event, from what I've read, Whole30 is still a good thing to do -- because good nourishment quite simply supports your health and well-being. Furthermore, the Whole30 eating pattern (eating within one hour of waking, eating meals every 4-5 hours, no snacking) helps to optimize the ebb and flow of your hormones, including cortisol. Just give it a little more time to work.

If you like, post a few days worth of meals, activities, water intake, and sleep patterns, so people here can review them and help you make adjustments. I think the best thing you can do right now is to do the best Whole30 you can.

• Moderators

Be sure you eat plenty of high carb veggies at Meal 3 in particular. This, in addition to limiting your caffeine intake (zero is best, less is better, before noon is crucial) should help.

Make sure you are eating protein and fat within an hour of waking as Glenn mentioned.

Hope this helps!

Thank you both so much for your replies! I think I just need to give this some time. My adrenals have been messed up for quite a while so I'm sure it will take some time. I've felt a lot better today so that's encouraging. I ate a small snack before bed and I woke up earlier so I was able to eat sooner. I don't do well with fasting or low carb so I think those are probably fine lines on whole30. I don't handle caffeine well at all so I don't drink anything caffeinated. We'll see what time does :)

• Administrators

Thank you both so much for your replies! I think I just need to give this some time. My adrenals have been messed up for quite a while so I'm sure it will take some time. I've felt a lot better today so that's encouraging. I ate a small snack before bed and I woke up earlier so I was able to eat sooner. I don't do well with fasting or low carb so I think those are probably fine lines on whole30. I don't handle caffeine well at all so I don't drink anything caffeinated. We'll see what time does :)

Whole30 doesn't recommend fasting or low carb, in fact quite the opposite. We recommend always eating your meals 4-5 hours apart and eating the starchies as often as you feel you need to. :)

There are some people for whom fasting is an option but they are typically 25-35 year old men. In broad strokes, women's bodies need regular nourishment and regular carbohydrates (in the form of starchy veggies).

Ladyhanny, thank you. I've been going 12-14 hrs between dinner and breakfast the next morning so I think that's been part of my problem. I'm going to start adding in a small snack closer to bed and see if that continues to help. And that's why I hesitate to take starches away from my first two meals, I feel like that would be too low carb for me :/

After eating sweet potatoes at all 3 meals Sunday and feeling SUPER tired all day I decided to limit the starchy veggies to meal 3. I feel a big increase in my energy yesterday and today! Hoping it keeps up! Thanks for all the help guys, I'm on day 21 but I plan to keep going way past the 30 days.

Archived