carb cravings on rest days

ohdangergirl

I'm 3 weeks in on w30 and doing well but... on rest days I'm so, so hungry for carbs. I find myself gravitating towards coconut flakes and fruit just after breakfast even though I just ate a 2 egg and spinach omelette. I've never really been a big eater -In the past I'd happily skip a large meal for a small salad followed by a few handfuls of raisins. I know this is a sugar thing but I just feel so tired and cravy (is that a word?!) After 10+ years of avoiding caffeine I'm seriously considering adding coffee to my diet just to give me a boost. But surely this goes against the w30 ethos. I really want to do this properly but I also want to live, not crawl!

Any advice would be massively appreciated :)

What is your movement routine like?  You say "rest days" so I'm guessing you are involved in heavy exercising or endurance sport?  In that case, don't try to skimp on the carbs too much.  Starchy vegetables and fruit are perfectly acceptable for a W30, as long as you eat them as part of a meal and not a standalone snack.  And make sure you are still getting in your protein, fat, and veggies at each meal per the meal-planning template.  If you feel that it is a sugar craving, then I would really limit the fruit, at least for your 30 days.  Get your carbs from potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, beets, parsnips.

You shouldn't feel tired.  Maybe you need to eat more?  What else is in your 2-egg and spinach omelet?  Is there additional protein (meat)?  2 eggs is pretty low for getting the recommended amount of protein and fat.  Maybe add in some ground beef or pork, or another egg, plus half an avocado on top of it.  

• Moderators

Two eggs for breakfast is too small. The meal template - http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf- standard is as many eggs as you can hold in your hand. You may be craving "more food" because you haven't eaten enough yet. However, you may honestly need carbs. Most people feel and perform better if they eat starchy veggies every day. By the way, coconut flakes are fat, not carbs. And fruit is a poor carb source because it delivers a load of sugar that challenges the system. Your best choice for carbs are foods like sweet potato, rutabagas, plantains, beets, carrots, etc. 

You know, I think you're both right! I don't think I'm eating enough at meal times. I'm not a heavy duty athlete but my hiit, conditioning, gym sessions are quite intense. I also run but have recently started to slow my pace somewhat in line with Mark Sisson's (and Arthur J Lydiard's) advice with one sprint session every 7-10 days. Yes I think it might be an idea to lay off the fruit for a while and instead concentrate on eating more safe carbs. And upping protein. My omelette was 2 eggs, spinach and a small amount of coconut (which I thought was a large portion as I normally have one egg with some cold meat and perhaps a bit of fruit.

Time for a re think me thinks! Thank you so much Derek and Tom

Archived