Is this SWYPO

Marcia104

I found this recipe that looks delicious. They call it Paleo Mac and Cheese, but aside from the name, I just think it looks delicious. You'd need to sub ghee for the butter, but otherwise all the ingredients are healthy and compliant - it's cauliflower in a creamy coconut and veggie sauce. Again, please ignore the name and just look at the recipe. What do you think? http://www.mynaturalfamily.com/recipes/paleo-recipes/paleo-mac-n-cheese-recipe/

• Moderators

I, on the other hand, think this is a great example of Sex With Your Pants On and something to be avoided. :) The problem with SWYPO is that it looks like mac and cheese, but it could not possibly be the same as mac and cheese. And given that mac and cheese is a staple of most people's crappy, standard American diet, you really should make yourself some roasted sweet potatoes and some wilted spinach and pass on the fake mac and cheese.

But what if Mac and cheese isn't a staple of my diet - I don't do dairy or gluten, irrespective of my Whole 30? I just thought it looked good - maybe with some roasted chicken and sautéed greens. How is that SWYPO? I admit I'm finding the distinction a bit arbitrary.

I admit I'm finding the distinction a bit arbitrary.

It's not so much that the definition is arbitrary, as it is subjective. (maybe that's splitting hairs, but the distinction works for me)

From the SWYPO guide:

Now, does this mean you can’t substitute a poor food choice with a healthier option? Of course not. To help you critically evaluate whether you’re attempting to engage in SWYPO, ask yourself this question. Am I trying to exactly duplicate or recreate the poor food choice with “approved” ingredients, or am I merely looking for a healthier, more nutritious substitution for that food?

So ya, it's your call. But for me, I'm with Tom on this one: it's got fake shells, fake cream, fake cheese.

The language of the recipe turns me off too:

>You won’t even believe it is Paleo!

> probably as close to a cheese sauce as you can get without using any cheese.

>you don’t have to feel guilty for eating this one!

Granted, I came to this recipe based on this thread, not because I was looking for a tasty side dish to make for dinner. So of course I'm going to be shining a spotlight on the darn thing and being a lot more critical than a casual internet blog browser would be. That's back to the subjective thing again.

Thanks for the quote - I do think that helps with the distinction. One of the things I love about W30 is the focus on identifying and breaking out unhealthy food attachments. And for many people, this recipe is all about replacing Mac and cheese, so it's probably SWYPO. I just ignored all the rest and focused on the recipe, which to me looks delicious. I think you're right that subjective is a better term than arbitrary.

• Administrators

Sorry, I have to say I'm with Tom and Kirkor.  I would not eat that based on how extremely close it was created.  She basically created it to resemble mac and cheese as closely as she possibly could with compliant ingredients...and that's the definition of SWYPO.  

I get that if you don't have a mac & cheese "issue" it should be fine...but again one of those things that seems like an awful lot of work to create when you could just roast, mash or rice some cauli with seasoning as a veggie side dish.  

On subjectivity:

This would not be SWYPO for me because mac and cheese is not a staple of mine. Didn't grow up with it, didn't use to eat it all that much, no chance that this faux version would slide me into the real thing. I'm free to take it on its own terms, without cultural baggage.

On the other hand, cauliflower rice (which a ton of Whole30ers and Paleo eaters swear by) is SWYPO for me. I'm Asian: I did grow up with eating rice, it used to be a staple. Cauli rice just doesn't cut it, doesn't satisfy, and, worse, reminds me of what I'm missing. Perfect definition of SWYPO. So I don't eat it so much anymore, even post-Whole30. If it comes down to it, I'll eat the real thing rather than cauli rice.

Subjectivity.

There's definitely some grey area when it comes to SWYPO. What might be a good template meal for one person can easily be a food with no breaks or SWYPO for someone else. For myself and for this particular recipe, I wouldn't have too many issues eating it during a Whole 30. It's veggies and coconut milk. It doesn't even involve nutritional yeast which a lot of "cheese" inspired recipes do. If you eat this and it makes you pine for "the real thing" then it's probably not something you should continue to eat. But if you eat it and enjoy it for what it is then go enjoy your veggies. (And then report back on the results cause I'm curious about this one!)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay.  I made this the other day.  (It wasn't very different from the soup I usually make out of the odds and ends of vegetables.)  It was very tasty and made a good, easy side dish that kept well in the fridge.  If you saw it and squinted a bit, maybe it looks like mac and cheese.  Other than that...

THIS BEARS NO RESEMBLANCE TO MACARONI AND CHEESE.

Long before I decided to do Paleo or Whole30, I knew I could not buy boxed macaroni and cheese mix because every time I've made it, I've eaten the whole box within a few hours.  Every time.  This dish did not make me think of m&c at all.  I kept forgetting that it was even called that and that I'd made it as a test.  I was neither disappointed, nor did I want to eat the whole batch in one sitting.  

I think this blogger is guilty of some over-the-top marketing, but we shouldn't take it out on the veggies.

Archived