Deep breath and... starting Day 1 - can I do it?

Charlotte Hills

Have been quite inspired by this site and taking the plunge today. Like many others I suspect I have a long history of low-carbing/Paleo style eating, although I've never sustained any weight loss for that long and am pretty convinced there are some emotional issues there.

Most recently I lost about 55lb following a Dukan diet and have felt messed up ever since - lost the weight really quickly, having piled it on during my twin pregnancy in 09. But the food just felt *wrong* - low fat and low carb together, and favouring 'cheats' like Diet Coke and fat-free aspartame loaded yoghurts - for someone like me it just felt like I was hurtling towards having addictions towards bad foods and not eating a diet that felt in any way good for me.

I want to cut out the crap, that's my main motivation. I've also put back on about 30 of those pounds, most depressingly, and at 42 realise I need to get healthy and fit if I'm ever going to be able to take that forwards into old(er) age ;)

Wish I had more time to browse around the forums, must try to do that tonight, because right now I'm not sure of all the ins/outs re. whether I can add spices/etc.........

Hey Charlotte, welcome and good luck. I am on day 9 and definitely think that the eating 'style' reduces cravings and helps with those addictions.

You definitely can add spices to your food .... and coconut milk which I hadn't had for years because it was considered 'bad'. You'll find lots of answers to questions here by using the Forum's search function or just reading through others posts.

Enjoy.

Michelle

It's amazing what emotional issues come to the forefront when you aren't distracted by weighing and measuring and counting various things. I'm on day 16 and it seems pretty effortless in the eating department, but the emotional effort is where I struggle, and overcome, almost on a daily basis.

And you CAN do it!

I hear you on wanting to bring your health forward.I'm 41,coming to the end of my 30 days and for the first time in my life,I know when I am full and I am not dealing with mad sugar cravings.

I feel more in control but not controlling,that's a great feeling.

Good luck on your journey for the next 30 days.Stick with it,it's totally worth it in the end!

My worry is what happens when the 30 days is up. In my case, we're going on holiday for 2 weeks on 22nd September (so I may struggle to get *quite* to the end of the 30 days in a way..) and I'd like to NOT come back having just gone mad the entire time we're away.

I find it quite easy to get "into" this, that, or the other AMAZING diet (blah blah) - Dukan I found the most addictive of all because the weight just fell off. What I absolutely must get my head around this time is that whatever I do, I need to be able to do it consistently. All my reading over the years makes me convinced this is the healthiest way to eat. I need to shift some weight but I need the priority to be health rather than weight loss. Which brings up all the emotional issues (over the long term) - such as - do I really love myself to treat myself so well day in, day out, month in, month out? :wacko:

(Pre Paleo) I found as I lost weight & got fitter I started to feel more deserving of good health and believe that my body deserved good nutrition. I started running & strength training and thinking of myself as an athlete, so why would I put crappy fuel in my amazing machine :)

I think the w30 will mean great postitive changes for you.

Charlotte

Welcome to the site and this WOL. I hope we both find what we are looking for following the W30. For me, I have resisted giving up Splenda and Dairy but now have to get to a true healthy baseline. I am now looking forward to completion and seeing if re-introduction results in issues I never knew I had.

I just started yesterday... Enjoy the ride!

Cheers

DJ

Thanks for that thought; I'm going to hold onto that. Currently sitting here nursing a giant headache which I've just necked Ibuprofen for - thinking it must be the lack of caffeine/Diet Coke as that is the big change I've made today - food-wise other than cutting out the dairy I've eaten like this quite regularly but with no headaches.

It's almost 8pm and I'm seriously considering going to bed!

Hi DJ, do you mean you haven't given up Splenda and dairy yet? I am finding that tough today - no sweeteners and no milk = black coffee. For me that really has changed my day, crazy really... but it's weird to think how much of your day revolves around little habits like sitting and drinking an indulgent coffee (or five) ;)

Thats funny you mention the Dukan diet. About 2 weeks ago I came across it and my hubby became all motivated to try it given that there was so much protein involved (he's a meat lover). I took out the books from the library, did the food shopping, and he tried it for 4-5 days. He lost nearly 8 lbs and although he was excited about that, all the no fat/low fat/aspartame/protein ideas were getting to me and we decided that it wasn't right for us either!

Good luck with Whole30!!

Prior to yesterday... I was having Splenda and cream. Now (two days into my W30), I am two days without cream or Splenda. It was not the best day one (in terms of coffee - first one in my adult life without cream or a sweetener) but better today. I had a few black coffees today (brewed at home) and they were pretty good. I was surprised.

FYI... the book (ISWF) identifies that ibuprofen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) and NSAIDs are not recommended on the W30 plan. Melissa and Dallas wrote that you should use Tylenol or acetaminophen generically for headaches or pain during the W30.

Cheers

DJ

Thanks for that tip - headache gone this morning although I have indulged in two coffees with coconut cream. Actually very tasty but of course caffeine-loaded; which is probably keeping the headache monster at bay.

I tried a black coffee yesterday and whilst it wasn't terrible, felt just a little bit too puritanical... ;)

DAY FIVE today... :)

Felt very tempted to weigh myself this morning but managed to resist. Thought this might happen if/when I started to feel 'thinner', which I do already. It's incredible how my mood changes when I feel like I'm in control of my food, I only have to lose a few pounds to feel completely different - and bizarrely it doesn't matter whether I'm 10 pounds from my ideal weight or 50, just the act of doing something about it makes me feel so much more positive about my body.

Not really sure whether I should be writing here or in the blog I started, guess it doesn't really matter ;)

Other than that, I didn't eat enough yesterday. I have also had a couple of inadvertent slip-ups which I'm choosing to ignore rather than go back to Day 1, but that's mainly because we fly to Crete for a 2 week holiday on 22nd Sept and frankly I doubt I'll be doing anything strictly once there but am hoping I'll have had sufficient revelations physically and mentally before then that I don't go too bonkers once there.

My mother has left now so no temptation for wine drinking over the next couple of days. I haven't had anywhere near as much temptation to face as some though, no real social arrangements to have faced. Saturday 8th we have my bro and family coming over for a BBQ (or indoor equivalent due to UK weather ;) ) and the next day go to Brighton to a friend's son's birthday. But all eminently do-able..... in theory!

Hmm, have just been out for supper - to a fantastic new Thai which has opened around the corner. I studiously ignored a few posts I'd read on here yesterday which said AVOID AVOID AVOID Thai food, which was possibly a mistake. It's so odd to have resisted even ONE grain of rice, to have sat and drunk mineral water and black coffee rather than the vast quantities of wine I would have normally drunk, but still to be sitting here feeling guilty because I didn't check beforehand that everything I was going to eat would be W30 compliant.

So what have I eaten today?

M1 - organic bacon and poached eggs, an apple

M2 - leftover bacon and eggs

M3 - coconut and galangal chicken and oyster mushroom soup (checked after I'd had a sweet-tasting spoonful and it did contain "a small amount" of palm sugar, so I left the rest of the soup pretty much, eating just the chicken/mushrooms)

a few mouthfuls of broccoli

plus a whole steamed sea bream with green chilli and lime. This was absolutely delicious, the most fresh tasting zingy marinade on the fish. (Tom) Yum :D

I need to eat more veggies. In fact I just need to eat more, I think. Going to aim for an early night and hope that tonight my twins give me a restful night, have a feeling that if my sleep weren't interrupted I'd be feeling much better than I actually am!

Charlotte

Keep up the good work. Sometimes we do what we are able. I am not brave enough to venture out yet for meals beyond my home or my controlled environment at work. Just before my W30 I went out with the family to our local favorite Thai food joint. I too had no rice (which was weird) and kept to a mango salad and chicken Satay.

One day at at time!

Cheers

DJ

Thanks DJ. Just topped up with some fresh coconut as a snack as I came home hungry. I do find that when I go to places like Thai or Indian, you have to order lots of (sometimes expensive) dishes in order to ever feel full up - not the case at a steakhouse/similar, which is why that's my preferred option.

I've just ordered Well Fed which looks amazing, can't wait for it to arrive. :)

PS: I am investigating Crossfit as an option as I am very keen to start making serious attempts to improve my fitness. Is that similar to what you are doing? I can't imagine that I'll be able to do anything major until we get back from holiday, but am very keen to turn my body composition around, not just the weight aspect...

Oh FFS. Went out for dinner tonight again and messed up by having halloumi, without even thinking about it. I was halfway through my starter of it before I even clocked I'm not meant to be having dairy B)

Managed to avoid giving up entirely and still stayed booze free, sugar free, grain free, etc. BUT booooooo. I've been feeling so good about this, feeling like I'm doing so well. What now? :(

I would start over, or just tack on however many days you're into it (same thing, just feels less like a failure to some)

But you're learning! And it's not a bad thing! One day at a time, be super vigilant about what you're putting into your mouth. That's the point! :)

Onward!

Thank you for the support guys. Keeping it on track today, eating the delicious contents of two hog roast sandwiches (sans evil bread and apple sauce) at a local fete. :)

The only reason I'm not considering tacking days onto the end as a serious option is because we go on holiday to Crete on 22nd September and somehow I'm doubting my ability to stay 100% on track once there. I don't want to give myself that pressure, if I'm honest. I'm hoping that I'll be enjoying the feeling I'm experiencing enough that I want to continue to eat HEALTHILY, and SANELY, and only consume alcohol MODERATELY.

Bumped into a local friend at the fete today who was nursing a rather extreme hangover after last night's shenanigans. Felt really good to feel so clean by comparison. :)

Archived