Favorite ways to eat kale?

Dem

• Moderators

Melt ghee in a big saute pan or wok. Add chopped onion and let it cook a few minutes. Add salt and garlic powder. Add kale. Add more salt and garlic powder. Splash generously with apple cider vinegar or champagne vinegar. Throw a handful of dried cranberries sweetened with apple juice. Cover and let the kale wilt down 5-7 minutes. You may need to add a little water to the mix to "steam" the kale a bit and keep things from drying out. The combination of onion, kale, vinegar, and dried cranberries is great. 

Oh kale, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways! I love kale in salad--I will take kale and toss it in a citrus/olive oil dressing with salt and pepper or sometimes I mix a touch of tahini into it with cumin, anyway, I toss the kale with the dressing, coating it well, and then letting it wilt down a bit. Then I add what ever else I want in the salad--bell peppers, olives, green onions, sometimes a few berries. So good along grilled meats. I also saute it up in your fat of choice and add a few toasted nuts and dried raisins or cranberries to it along with just a splash of raw apple cider vinegar. I love it in eggs, soups, added to coleslaw, I have contemplated adding it to sauerkraut. yum yum yum!  

I cook up diced (compliant) bacon, then add onion and cook until soft. Then I add washed kale, with water still clinging to it. Cover and cook until desired texture, stirring frequently. I usually add some vinegar right before I take it off the heat.

I keep a container of this in the refrigerator. I like it for a base for fried eggs, or stirred up in my scrambled eggs. I toss a handful into my chili, soup, fritatta, etc.

Make a dressing/marinade out of citrus juice, oil, and vinegar, then use you hands to really massage it into a huge bowl of chopped kale (plus or minus julienned carrots depending on your preference).  Marinate it overnight, it will tenderize and almost sweeten the leaves.  It makes a great salad for the next few days.  I add roasted chicken, nuts or seeds, sometimes fresh orange slices, beets, other veggies, etc. 

Oh kale, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways! I love kale in salad--I will take kale and toss it in a citrus/olive oil dressing with salt and pepper or sometimes I mix a touch of tahini into it with cumin, anyway, I toss the kale with the dressing, coating it well, and then letting it wilt down a bit. Then I add what ever else I want in the salad--bell peppers, olives, green onions, sometimes a few berries. So good along grilled meats. I also saute it up in your fat of choice and add a few toasted nuts and dried raisins or cranberries to it along with just a splash of raw apple cider vinegar. I love it in eggs, soups, added to coleslaw, I have contemplated adding it to sauerkraut. yum yum yum!  

I like the tahini idea.  I have half a jar leftover from a hummus recipe last year, and I am looking for yummy things to do with it.

Two ways-

I have really been into crispy onions with prosciutto. I cook the onions down in EVOO or coconut oil, then add some Tessamae Lemon Garlic dressing/marinade. Throw the prosciutto in and let it get crispy. Then I throw the kale in and let it wilt up. DELICIOUS!

Second, I love to make a salad with EVOO and avocaddo with salt and pepper. All you have to do is rub the kale with the avocado to break it down to eat it raw. Throw some olive oil on top with salt and pepper and you've got a delicious, whole30, salad!!!

Let me know if you try anything!

Given that kale is shown to have less bioavailability than romaine lettuce, when I do wander into the plate garnish section of the produce department, it's typically for kale/chard/spinach mixes to lay under a roasted veggie and blackened shrimp salad.

Cooked kale has the nutritional contribution of packaging peanuts.  Kale is enjoying a brief ride through the open market system.

• 3 months later...

just last night I made a coconut curry mixture for some white fish... I finely chopped some kale and added it to the sauce and let it simmer til tender!  It was a very nice addition plus it added a lot of colour!

Like Tim McGraw does. 

Ingredients
  • 1 bunch of kale, de-stemmed and finely chopped
  • 1/8 cup white balsamic vinegar
  • 1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup dried unsweetened cranberries
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
  • salt, to taste
  • pepper, to taste

• 3 weeks later...

I like to season bone broth with garlic and ginger and toss in kale (or whatever greens I have).  Then toss in any leftover protein I have.  Instant soup.

I also like it steam sauteed and baked in an egg muffin cup.

Given that kale is shown to have less bioavailability than romaine lettuce, when I do wander into the plate garnish section of the produce department, it's typically for kale/chard/spinach mixes to lay under a roasted veggie and blackened shrimp salad.

Cooked kale has the nutritional contribution of packaging peanuts.  Kale is enjoying a brief ride through the open market system.

Do you have a source for this information?  I'm curious.

Someone in my gardening club made a kale and apple salad the other day. It has thinly sliced apples and kale (cut into thin strips) with equal parts olive oil and vinegar (I think it was balsamic vinegar)- very delicious! 

Archived