Charlotte's Whole30... tentatively excited

Charlotte Hills

Logging here as Day 1, hoping I can add more to it later. So far I've had a couple of boiled eggs for breakfast, a black coffee, plenty of water and a couple of handfuls of nuts.

Struggling right now because I haven't planned properly really and it's a Bank Holiday weekend so many shops are closed, but am au fait enough with low-carb in general to have plenty of nuts in store and frozen meat/etc to hand. We're having a barbecue later I think and we have stuff in store for that.

My husband is a Type 1 diabetic and is a few weeks into a massive turnaround of his health, so should be of a great help and very supportive. He already eats low-carb..

Hi Charlotte and welcome aboard the Whole 30 train! :) I am a type 2 diabetic and I have benefited so much from Whole 30. My blood sugars have decreased dramatically along with my blood pressure. I am feeling great. We decided to prolong our Whole 30 to 40 days since we joined in with the August group. In addition, Whole 30 has now become our way of life. We will have the occasional "off-road" experience as my SO likes to put it but other than that we plan t continue to eat in this very healthy and satisfying way.

I have found that planning is key. Not only have my eating habits changed but so have my food planning, cooking, shopping, house keeping, and basically well everything (lol). I find that taking one day a week like Sunday to chop vegetables, cook breakfast casseroles, and prep food helps to keep me happy and in food during the week. We usually do something like a bunch of chicken or carnitas to spread out over the week for quick easy lunches and egg casseroles to make breakfast easier. I love www.thefoodee.com they have great recipes, it is a combination of several Whole 30/paleo website recipes.

You will find lots of support and great ideas here on the Whole 30 forum. Best of luck and have a great journey!

Faith :)

Thanks so much :)

Faith - my husband has just invested in a Continuous Glucose Meter which he has permanently plugged into his stomach and which has made an INCREDIBLE difference to his blood sugar management. He is attempting to follow a Dr Bernstein type of regime but it won't be hard to get him over to proper Paleo ;)

Will try to have a good read around later, dashing around at the moment trying to entertain two toddlers and get things done. Hopefully when they go to sleep I'll have time to read up a bit more about it all. I am really hoping to be inspired and get involved with the forum, I know that really incentivises me when I do so.

Excellent - nice to meet you - best of luck for tomorrow! I have a terrible headache right now, am sure it's due to a lack of Diet Coke, caffeine, etc - have just popped a couple of Ibuprofen and will be off to bed shortly.

Big success of the day was making banana muffins with my twin girls and managing to avoid eating any of the cooked end product or even the cake mix - this is unheard of!!

Okay so I went to bed at about 9pm and despite a couple of wakings from my twin daughters before midnight, woke up to a food delivery which I'd booked to arrive at 6.30am (!!) feeling very well rested.

This morning I've had some fresh coconut for breakfast, together with a couple of coffees with coconut cream which is actually very good and doesn't feel as bleak as staring at a cup of black coffee...

Have some challenges ahead and other than a fridge full of meat and veggies, I'm not feeling that prepared. I skimmed through the Kindle version of the book and don't seem to have much time to apply myself to reading around the forum. My mother arrives today for a 3 day visit on her way home from Australia, and will definitely be wanting to drink wine in the evenings. Find it hard to resist that but feeling quite confident I'll leave her to it this time.

So this is Day 3. My mother is here, and I resisted the lure of the wine last night. Felt easy.

Also made a delicious Beef Rendang for dinner, and have had leftovers for breakfast, with a coconut cream coffee. Went to bed to read more of ISWF and started reading up about Crossfit which sounds very interesting.

More later... will possibly be out and about with my mother today so need to anticipate food.

Evening of Day 3. I am hungry. I am also blithely ignoring the fact that I have had salad dressing today which contained sugar ( :( :( :( )

Still no wine, resisted yet another glass of red offered up, and found it easy. That bit is good. My mother leaves tomorrow, giving me a few days to get back in the groove and have a bit more time to read up on it all. Making good use of the old barbecue. :)

So much I'd like to think about/get involved with on here, not least the diet of my two fussy toddlers - but perhaps I should work on myself first, before I try to take on their taste buds and tantrumming capabilities!

Enjoying not weighing. I am an obsessive weigher... it's unusual for me not to start every day by jumping on the scales.

Yikes, haven't posted here for a few days.

It's now Day 7. Other than the fact I ate some halloumi whilst out for dinner last night - bizarrely having a total mindblock and not even remembering that I'm not supposed to be eating dairy until I was half-way through it - I have been pretty impressed with myself!

A week without alcohol; for me - amazing.

A week without dairy (ignoring last night :) ) - a first.

I'm slowly getting my head around what this is really about. It's not about going on a crazy diet with the aim of losing XX weight before YY happens. At the beginning I kept asking 'yes but what happens after the 30 days??'. My dieting history has trained me to think that way. But I'm trying to reignite my passion for real food in all its forms, trying to undo the damage where food had just become a vehicle for me to either lose or gain weight, rather than lose or gain health. I am SO GLAD to have kicked the Diet Coke and the sweeteners. I am ... *Interested* in the fact that I'm abstaining from dairy, because I never have before.

I was talking to my husband about it last night and realised that this was like the time I did a 7-day fast in Thailand. Other than the sheer experience of it, there was something very meditative about taking a break from eating. I know that sounds weird, but it was true - it allowed me to start thinking about other things, because I realised that I spent most of my day normally thinking about food or eating food. This is similar but not so extreme. There is a clarity I can see on the horizon. I feel in the present.

On that note, I'm off to bed for an early night and to read a bit more of ISWF. Here's to day 8 tomorrow.

Charlotte, it sounds like you've had a fantastic first week:) that mental clarity that you are talking about is awesome, isn't it?

Alcohol and dairy were tough for me at first too, now I'm at the close of day 22 and I'm ok without both. I won't go without alcohol forever, but I could probably live without most dairy now. I miss raw milk a bit. And I'll do some raw heavy cream after this whole 30, but I never thought I could live without cheese and I really can.

Most of my concerns about what I could and couldn't live without turned out to be wants and desires that I am not sure I have anymore.

I'm really enjoying being present in my life. Sounds like you are too, congrats!

Archived