Jan 25th start date--1st time Whole30

sarah246

So after a trip to Whole Foods, Price Chopper and multiple reviews of the Week 1 cooking plan from theclothesmakethegirl I feel prepared to launch my 30 days starting tomorrow. Breakfast will be my own "veggie hash" with over easy eggs on top. This is a favorite so not much of a switch for me. Basically, I use my food processed to finely chop cauliflower, broccoli, kale, and carrots. They're pretty much the texture of cauliflower rice. Then we sauté all of it in olive oil, crushed garlic, season salt and lemon pepper. Delish!

We'll be attending church midmorning and lunch will be a salad with chicken. Once my 18 month old goes down for her nap it will be my food prep craziness.

My goal will be primarily to restablish a healthy relationship with food. Hoping that an intensive food prep day will allow me to "fix it and forget it" and work on not being so preoccupied with food thoughts. My faith will be no secret throughout my journal so my goal will be to use the 30 days of food reset to strengthen my spiritual life.

A much needed refocus!

Thank you ladies for your well wishes. I am actually surprised and really eased that anyone read the post let alone commented! ❤️Day 1 was a huge success. I'm very tired from all of my meal prep though.

Meal 1: "veggie hash", 2 eggs, 1/4 avocado

Meal 2: squash/zucchini noodles with Italian pork roast and slices fresh tomato with salt, fruit salad

Meal 3.: chocolate chili (yum!!!!), salad with apple Cider vinegar, handful of almonds.

A few notes about the day:

1. I don't know the last time I waited 5 hours between a snacks/meals. Today I did so between both meals. Hooray for boundaries and the practice of "waiting".

2. I've been dealing with some medical junk for the last 8 months. I have had pain, swollen lymph glands, numbness, pins and needles all on my left side in my neck and into face and even hands and feet. I've had EVERY test you can imagine and everything is negative and yet I feel awful. I just finished a 30 day course if antibiotics for Lymes (my test was negative but they said that can happen). I continue to feel rotten. My lesson learned today is this: sometimes we don't get all the answers or get to know the "why" to everything. For now, I will do everything I can to encourage my body to heal itself. I will also be wise and pursuit a medical explanation without allowing myself to obsess of despair. Most importantly I will pray and lean on God. Whole30 is my way of taking care of my body the rest is out of my control.

You need to get on probiotics right away to replenish your intestinal flora... I am convinced whole30 will make you feel better. And I have a confession to make... Food no longer tempts me, which means I can now feel absolutely at peace :)

The chocolate chili was from a website called  "theclothesmakethegirl".  Here's the link to the recipe:  http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/.  It was delicious!   It uses unsweetened cocoa.  You don't taste the chocolate but it darkens and enhances the richness of the chili.  I actually followed the Week 1 menu and food prep from this website.  It's really cool.  She provides a grocery list, menu and step by step instructions for preparing all your food for week one in 2-4 hours on one day.  I recommend it.

Day 2 (yesterday)

Meal 1:  vegetable hash with 2 over-easy eggs and 1/2 an avodcado

Meal 2:  Italian roasted chicken thighs shredded over spring greens with rice vinegar, handful of almonds, green beans steamed with ghee

Meal 3:  Spaghetti squash "boat" with browned ground beef+ground sausage, green pepper, onion and whole30 friendly spaghetti sauce, small bowl of mixed fruit.

Couple observations

1:  Once again----the wait between meals is a challenge but a welcome practice.  It's pretty revealing to me how much time I spent eating and/or preparing food.  I have more time on my hands now.  Always a good thing.....

2:  SNOW DAY!!!!  We are having a blizzard in the Northeast in America.  I am a speech therapist in a school.  I got out early yesterday and no school today.  Again, a gift of time.  Going to enjoy some time reading a good book, chasing after my 18 month old, and then paperwork and report writing.

Will try that chilli too... I remember how, in the beginning of my journey, I was mentally taking note of what time it was when I was done eating a meal, and counting 5 hours till I would go back into the kitchen to prepare my next meal...but now it's dictated by my satiety level, no longer the watch...

Day 3 (yesterday)

No slips, no cheats, no excuses!  Hooray--one more day down.

Meal1:  Asparagus tips sautéed in olive oil, 2 over easy eggs, 1 hb egg

Meal 2:  Soup (created in honor of blizzard 2015 in new England!)--soup included=chicken, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, onion, I also had mixed nuts, olives, 1 hbegg

Meal 3:  Almond crusted salmon, mashed sweet potato, green beans, small apple

Observations:

1:  Man was I hungry at lunch!!!  I obviously didn't eat enough at breakfast.  It seems like so much food but I'll gladly eat more :).

2:  Some of my friends invited me to coffee at Starbucks in the afternoon after all the snow cleanup.  I was absolutely prepared to get a sugar-free caramel Americano and consider it an acceptable cheat (no artificial sweeteners allowed!!!)......I wanted it so badly.  Then I started thinking about how we're going out to eat Friday night and Sunday is super bowl and that maybe I should just eat whatever I want from now until Monday and have Monday be day 1 all over again.  I stopped myself in my tracks and told myself NO WAY!!!!!  I don't care if I've only done 3 days....every day has been a bit of a struggle for me....and every day has been a success.  I'm not going to waste 3 days.  I stayed strong.  I ordered a black coffee (from Dunkin Donuts because starbucks was closed) and I even told my girlfriends all about Whole30.  I told them that Friday night will be interesting (our dinner date includes these two wonderful friends and their spouses) but that I will be compliant somehow.  They were soooo supportive.  They said "you can absolutely do it!"...."get a wonderful salad with all kinds of goodies, chicken, shrimp, et."  I was thrilled and relieved......not only did I resist an immediate slip....but I built in accountability for Friday night.

I firmly believe in food-addiction and firmly believe that it is through my faith and surrender to God, allowing His power to fill me, that I can come out clean in a weak moment.

"And do not lead us into temptation"... I get it! Been there, done that. Whole30 changed all that. I was addicted to food, and any food tempted me. It was so bad!

If you need compliant stuff for superball party look up nom nom paleo.

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/109177727523/whole30-day-26-bacon-wrapped-pineapple

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/109080169958/whole30-day-25-spicy-salmon-cucumber-cups

If you are ever not sure about what to eat in a restaurant, eat compliant food before you head out. Dining out with friends is more about enjoying the company than the eating part, don't you think? Then you can just order a salad with no sauce, and pour out your little jar of dressing out of your bag:)

Yes, you can do it :)

Day 4 (yesterday)

Meal 1:  veggie hash, 2 eggs, grapefruit

Meal 2:  left over chicken soup, hb egg, olive, nuts

Meal 3:  Pad thai

Successful food......very rotten health wise.  Flare up of pain, inflamation and neuropathy--neck pain, tmj throbbing...numbness in feet, hands, all of left face.  Slept all of 30 minutes last night.  All of this has increased in intensity since I've been off of my antibiotics which were intended to treat Lymes (off of them for 9 days now)  So discouraged with feeling this way.  Going to an infectious disease doctor today.

Grateful for healthy eating!  At least I know that's not contributing....

You have a good attitude. Too often we see people on this forum blaming the program for what ails them. Granted, everybody experiences some kind of bloating from changing their diet so drastically, but you my dear, what you experience... Wow, and no sleep. Hope you get some answers soon! Bon courage as we say here :)

Day 5 (yesterday)

I like the sound of that......five days under my belt! 

Meal 1:  egg salad:  1 small chopped tomoato, two eggs, 4 queen green olives, homemade mayo, mustard, parsley----DELISH, 1 spoonful of homemade almond butter (also delish)

Meal 2:  zucchini noodles, with browned turkey/sausage, green pepper, onions, homemade spaghetti sauce, grapes, mixed nuts

Meal 3:  leftover chocolate chili, grapes and blueberries

Observations:

1.  Not feeling hungry between meals and the waiting is much easier

2.  overdoing it a little with the nuts----they can easily become natures candy and I'm absolutely understand the swypo concept

3.  Doctor's appointment leaves me very discouraged.  Was diagnosed with neuritis/neuralgia accompanied by neck spasms with unknown etiology, prescribed neurotin along with the nortriptyline I already take and muscle relaxers as needed.  I'm NOT A MEDICINE kinda gal but I've required this medical intervention in order to remain minimally functional.  I'm hoping for some relief so that I can be 100% for my various hats....work, mom, wife, and just plain ol' healthy me BUT more important to me than being 100% is knowing the CAUSE so I can treat THAT!  I hate masking symptoms.  Enough on my medical rant.........healthy eating is a good place to rest and wait.

4.  Faith comment---used to spend mornings doing devotions and writing in a prayer journal.  Whole3o forum has sort-of highjacked that.  I'll figure it out.  It's novel and requires me to reconfigure how I spend my time.  Just noting that I'm a little out of balance regarding my quiet time. 

Day 6---success AND a dinner out

Meal 1:  (cashews upon awaking so that I could take a medication) veggie hash and 2 over-easy eggs

Meal 2:  leftover soup and pad thai, olives, grapes 

Meal 3:  Dinner out!!!---house salad with vinegar and olive oil, steak, grilled asparagus, steamed carrots,

overall a good day!

I'm sad to say that I have to "sign-off" and try this again soon but when I'm in better health. I know that is quite ironic but with the new medications I'm finding myself really needing toast and other off-plan foods to settle my stomach. I'll be back!!!!!!!!!

I'm BAAAA-AACK!  So I've sorted many things out regarding my health.  I saw a chiropractor and finally got a real diagnosis regarding all the pain and "funk" I've been feeling and it turns out I have chronic myofascial pain syndrome which is VERY TREATABLE with specific techniques.  (no  lymes, no major infection, wooohoo!) I had two treatments last weak and felt worlds better.  I hopped right back on to Whole 30 and today is Day 6 (no cheats, no slips, no excuses).  I will log and check in occasionally.  Probably not every day but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be one of those success stories where Whole 30 address a bunch of inflammation and so on. ;)

Stay tuned-----

Day 7

Todays food plan.  Feeling tempted so I'm going to put it all down

Meal 1:  asparagus tips with 2 over easy eggs and a spoonful of almond butter (already had that....yum!!!)

Meal 2:  kale/romaine salad with "The Best Chicken" ever left overs, walnuts, avocado, and a homemade dressing that is delish, banana

Meal 3:  Beef Stew from wellfed recipe over broccoli

Looking forward to a successful day as I start to feel the itch to eat junk settle in!

Working in a school around Valentines day is not easy.  So many sweet treats;however, I've remained true to the plan.  I feel clean and lean!  Getting really good at waiting for hunger.  Such a shift in mentality. 

Meal 1:  steamed broccoli with 2 over-easy eggs over top, strawberry & blueberry fruit cup

meal 2:  salad with chicken, walnuts, avocado, tomoatoes, kale, romaine, "moraccan dipping sauce" for dressing

meal 3:spaghetti squash with taco seasoned meat and compliant salsa and avocado

Day 10! No work today as we have our February break form the school where I work. I have a long "to do" list as my kids have school. I love when that happens....:a day to myself. I intend to make a bunch of sauces today. Thoroughly enjoying the salad dressings and sauces from Wellfed. I can honestly say I feel lean and light. What a great feeling!

Still struggling with temptation but remaining strong.

Day 15---

While I may not be posting everyday, I've managed to stay on track and now it's day 15.  What a victory! 

Valentines day was difficult.  Particularly since I chose to give my children chocolate treats as usual.  (my own self-inflicted challenge).  Also, I took my 12-year old son to the movies this weekend which was soooooooo hard.  I seriously started to ask myself..."what's the point of going to the movie theater if I can't enjoy the popcorn and our favorite candies."  Shame on me for missing the point of spending time with my family and enjoying the movie.  I ended up getting myself a black coffee as my "treat" and enjoyed the experience of a movie minus the popcorn and sugar binge.  Another celebration!

Just checking in...

Archived