Why I quit the whole30 program

lore

Why I quit the whole30

Hello everybody.

After reading all the amazing comments about this plan, I think it might be good for people to read about my experience.

First of all, we are not the same; people react differently to anything, that's why I have always been very skeptical when it comes to "one size fits all" programs.

That said, I come from a very healthy way of eating means that after years of mistakes I know what it's good for me.

I was typically eating a lot of veggies, meat, fish, no sugar or a lot of the processed food (but a couple of treats sometimes), fruit in moderation and careful about dairy (once in a while because I develop acne if I eat to much of it... I was ok with lacto free milk in my coffee), and bread as I have a yeast sensitivity so I used to eat a couple of Rivyta crispbread per meal. I am Italian living in London but I have always used extra virgin olive oil, the healthiest without any doubt.

No nuts, coconut here and there, not a lot of eggs (probably once per week).

My weakness was coca cola light without caffeine; unhealthy I know, but if have to be honest...

Anyway I have started the whole 30 program on the January 12th so today it's the 14th day but I have to quit.

I have terrible acne on my chin, thing that wasn't happening anymore after my ability to

understand what to eat/avoid.

I feel deprived because I can't follow an autoimmune protocol avoiding all those food I know aren't bad for me like tomatoes, decaf coffee, etc.

The culprit are probably nuts, I am trying not to use them a lot but I also suspect a coconut sensitivity. There is not a lot remaining if you also cut it.

During the program I have been very rigid, only veggies, meat or fish, some fruits and, sometimes nuts or some dried fruits... Not a lot because I have to look my caloric intake as I am hypothyroid and it took me years to heal my thyroid switching from levothyroxine to natural desiccated thyroid and to lose 20 pounds and now I am in a perfect shape. Coconut milk gave me a bad reaction as chia seeds (2 teaspoons), gave me gas and bloating. I know these are not suggested but still... I am very sensitive apparently.

This program actually taught me something:

1) not to use sweeteners in the coffee just because you are addicted to it... I actually appreciate the taste of my decaf coffee now, more than before. But I can't stand green tea with no sweeteners... That's ok as well to not use anything in herbal teas. I have never thought I would be able to give them up.

2) to taste your food.

3) to not be obsessed from the scale.

4) to shop for grass-fed and organic when possible... Even if sometimes it could be too expensive...

5) to always check sugar and additives etc in labels... That is something I will always do.

6) that food could be very psychological and sometimes, our need, is just to "feed the mind". So I have learnt to understand my satiety. I always imagine steamed broccoli and fish and, most of the times, I realize I am still hungry so I go for another mini meal with veggies.

Overall I have learnt more than I thought, coming for a very healthy lifestyle.

I am quitting because I don't need to develop acne or starting again to avoiding anything when I am sure I have to blame something about this way of eating (nuts eggs coconut etc).

I will get back to my way of eating with something or everything, it was more satisfying and my body wasn't reacting like this...!

Hope that could helps some people: if your body is telling, with rashes, acne and whatever, this is not for you, listen to it because that is a manifestation of its disease.

This is the second time I try something similar to Paleo but it doesn't work for me!:(

I know some people would tell me "stick with it, it is a detox process" (???) etc, but I am convinced that this is an amazing program if you're coming for bad food choices, standard American diet etc. Not good for people coming from an healthy lifestyle because it doesn't change a lot after all.

Thanks for reading,

Lore

Why did you give up tomatoes and decaf coffee? Whole30 doesn't have to be autoimmune!

Also, I'm on day 21 now, and for the first two weeks my acne actual got a little worse - particularly on my cheeks. (Bizarrely I've noticed that I get spots on my cheeks only when I first cut out sugar.) But in the last day or two it's almost all gone! I have no idea why, but I guess it was just my skin acting out as it adjusted to a slightly different way of eating - I'd been eating a fairly healthy diet before too. Also, are you sure those spots aren't hormonal? What stage of your cycle are you at? Because whenever I get hormonal acne it's usually on my chin - I got awful spots there for months when I went off the pill!

Either way, your diet is such a personal thing so what suits one person won't suit another and that's just fine :)

congrats, I guess? 

Nobody is going to make you do a whole30, it's just fine if you don't.

If you change your mind and decide to try again, keep two things in mind: 1) we don't recommend autoimmune protocol until after you have one "regular" whole30 under your belt. Try a whole 30 days of that one first and 2) skin is impacted by lots of things, and it is kind of normal to have acne related to hormonal and digestive changes in the body. many people find that after a period of flare-up and adjustment, they end up with fewer skin problems post-whole30 than they had beforehand (assuming they continue to eat this way once they are done).

Hello thanks for your replies.

Actually I am working in a field that requires to have a perfect skin (acting modeling etc), I can't really afford to wait and "see if it adjusts", I really can't!:(

In the past, every time I was having acne on chin, was because something was affecting me and I was really sensitive to it.

The autoimmune thing was just to say that I am not in the mental or physical condition to try and see what happens, despite the fact it is not recommended.

I will definitely keep in mind what I learnt but be a little more flexible because that is what my skin/body is asking me.

Will let you know in a week or so after cutting on nuts and dried fruits!:)

Lore,  nuts and dried fruits are really snacks.    When you have a break from your job, maybe you can try again without nuts or dried fruits.   I'm wondering if you were drinking coconut milk.    Some folks start drinking coconut and almond milks instead of using them as ingredients for a recipe.   These can be culprits for wreaking havoc with skin, too.  I wish you success in your career.

Lily thanks for your message!

I have been using coconut milk and unsweetened almond milk (a compliant one), but the first one makes me nauseous so I only use it in my coffee all little bit... I read coconut could give a lot of sensitivity in some subjects.

I will definitely try again without nuts and seeds but, honestly, I have been eating them as a treat sometimes. I also developed a bad rash on my back!.. Very painful and not nice at all!

Thanks..

If you ever come back to whole30, consider using less "whole30 recipes" and eat what you already know is good for you, within the context of the program. I know I am sensitive to fodmaps, so I don't go around eating cauliflower rice because the Hartwigs say that's the best way to eat.

I can still do a whole30 with low fodmap foods, and you can still do a whole30 without eggs, nuts and coconut :)

Hello Leah! Sorry but if I cut all these things, included dried fruits, it becomes really hard! Don't get me work, I have done any diets out there and I can restrict my caloric intake A LOT, if I have to... But I also like to feel "happy" about what I eat.

Tonight I had swordfish with fennel salad and two gluten free crackers (13 cal per piece), and I felt much satisfied because I had an accompaniment to my salad... I won't feel the need to eat nuts, dried fruits and even fruits later, I am sure of that.

Also fruit was somethung I have to restrict because in my family there is generally high blood sugar level and I have to eat it sporadically.

Maybe that's another thing that is affecting my skin; I suspect a fodmaps sensitivity as well because I always have gas after eating veggies and I feel bloated A LOT.

I GUESS the best thing for me would do switch to a Fodmap diet and see what happens with my symptoms.

Anyway thanks for your reply...

You made a list of successes.  And you are done with your Whole 30.  Seems like an appropriate place to me.

I agree with others -- if you decide to do another Whole 30 down the road, think things through a little more.

No one is telling you to eat foods you know you have a problem with.  There are now MANY Whole-30-approved foods that I steer clear of.

It IS a "one-size-fits-all" program, in the fact that you are free to tailor it to your specific needs.

I guarantee you that this is different than other methods you have tried where the goal was a certain weight or a certain look.  The goal here is primarily health.  Physical, mental, emotional... yes, these changes all do occur.  We learn a lot along the way, such as maybe... what foods cause us to break out.  And then we have to learn how to avoid them, and move on to make better choices.  It's a process.

I understand that you, personally, could not complete the 30 days because of your career.  But the average person out there is not going to quit because of a break-out, nor should they.

I thought I would reply after reading your post. 1. Because I really hope you try a Whole 30 again and 2. Because I think you are making a good choice to quit right now.

I completed my first Whole 30 in September and found out that this is the optimal way for me to eat. So much so that I really want to get to an emotional place where I feel like I can eat like this all the time. I wanted to speak to your post for two reasons. 1. The second time I did a Whole 30, my eating disorder came back full force, and I needed to quit on day 5. For me, the second Whole 30 added MORE stress to my life, not less...which is what it sounds like this is doing for you.

I also wanted to encourage you to try again when you feel like you have all the emotional energy to put into it. BUT if you feel like you can't have coconut or nuts..don't! If I am eating in a Whole 30 lifestyle and I start eating nuts, I have a "might as well have a snickers bar moment." Why? Because nuts make me feel like complete and utter crap. I don't feel healthier, I feel like all my health is being stripped from me...and then I think "I might as well eat what I want." So, I really hope that you try a Whole 30 again, when you are ready..because it is amazing experience. That being said, I applaud you for understanding your mind and body.

I thought I would reply after reading your post. 1. Because I really hope you try a Whole 30 again and 2. Because I think you are making a good choice to quit right now.

I completed my first Whole 30 in September and found out that this is the optimal way for me to eat. So much so that I really want to get to an emotional place where I feel like I can eat like this all the time. I wanted to speak to your post for two reasons. 1. The second time I did a Whole 30, my eating disorder came back full force, and I needed to quit on day 5. For me, the second Whole 30 added MORE stress to my life, not less...which is what it sounds like this is doing for you.

I also wanted to encourage you to try again when you feel like you have all the emotional energy to put into it. BUT if you feel like you can't have coconut or nuts..don't! If I am eating in a Whole 30 lifestyle and I start eating nuts, I have a "might as well have a snickers bar moment." Why? Because nuts make me feel like complete and utter crap. I don't feel healthier, I feel like all my health is being stripped from me...and then I think "I might as well eat what I want." So, I really hope that you try a Whole 30 again, when you are ready..because it is amazing experience. That being said, I applaud you for understanding your mind and body.

Thanks for this note!

To be honest with you, I didn't mention another thing that was bothering me, probably the most important.

I was suffering of bad colitis ibs syndrome all the time, I guess because I have increased veggies and fruits intake. I already suspected a fructose malabsorption but after this experience I have the confirmation I have to be careful with fruit; after apples I use to have cramps not to mention my "issues" after eating watermelon and the need of going to the toilet no matter where or when... Even in the middle of the night..

I really think I could be fodmaps sensitive and I have started today with my experiment; my point is that cut the fruits, cut the nut, coconut, dried fruits...what remains? Not a lot... I know there is a fodmaps protocol but I need to feel in peace with food, if you know what I mean (and I guess you know what I am talking about), I need options and something to accompany my meals that doesn't have 1000 calories just because it is made with almonds (talking about the Paleo bread, not in this program but still)...

I made the mistake of thinking I needed a detox period after Christmas but reality is that my body is ok with a little bit of everything, possibly gluten free, and a piece of extra dark chocolate sometimes.

I feel less hungry if I follow those simple rules, and my body thanks me. With the whole 30 I was thinking about food more ( and with a bulimic past this is not good!), than usual and constantly feel bloated and gassy... This is not something I want every day, especially when I have to be with people!:(

I am happy though, now I can take a dark coffee with no sugar or 3 sweetener bags inside, that is a huge achievement!

The clue is, in my opinion, moderation.

After years of starvation diets, thyroid issues, Dukan diet, Atkins diet, you name it, I am in the perfect place and I feel I don't have to change anything, other than this caution towards the fodmaps foods.

Thanks for reading my story!:)

Hi lore - i think it's great that you ate listening to your body instead of following something that is not for you. This shows your strength and intelligence!

Just wanted to tell you about a woman called Treacy who has a YouTube channel (and website) called The Love Vitamin. She shares many resources about healing acne through diet and how you wash and moisturize your face.

I know you don't have time to "wait out" your skin to deal with change, but I believe sometimes our skin could take months to detox from something like stress, additives, or allergens. Just my experience.

I have rosacea that I'm still trying to deal with, so I'm feeling your pain :)

Hi lore - i think it's great that you ate listening to your body instead of following something that is not for you. This shows your strength and intelligence!

Just wanted to tell you about a woman called Treacy who has a YouTube channel (and website) called The Love Vitamin. She shares many resources about healing acne through diet and how you wash and moisturize your face.

I know you don't have time to "wait out" your skin to deal with change, but I believe sometimes our skin could take months to detox from something like stress, additives, or allergens. Just my experience.

I have rosacea that I'm still trying to deal with, so I'm feeling your pain :)

Hi Jjo,

thanks for your message!

I know her, she writes about her struggle with acne but I am lucky I domt have acne, just reaction from food.

It's one week now I have got back to my standard diet and I am happy to say my chin is almost perfect, just one pimple left (and probably because of my period), so I had the confirmation the food was to blame.

Also I have started fodmaps only yesterday and I had a huge improvement of my symptoms!

Whole 30 is amazing for sure, but we are not the same and I think I have found my diet!:)

Thanks for your support! Good luck to you..!

Archived