First week done! Ready for another...

stefmbrown

Happy to say my first 7 days are done!  It actually hasn't been as hard as I thought in terms of food - although admittedly I've cooked more this week than the whole last year so it's definitely taken some time and preparation.  It's kinda fun though, trying new things and realizing that my old "I'm not a cook" assumption is really just because I never had enough practice to get good at anything.  I learned this week what parsnips were (and used them twice in different recipes), bought and cooked with my first jalapeno (yes, I know, but I really didn't cook much at all), and signed up for a CSA that starts in 2 weeks (which I'm sure will bring several new fruits and veggies into my life).  I cooked 20 of my 21 meals (with 1 lunch at Chipolte as a break mid-week) and got through my first major social function strong.  Admittedly craved some red wine this weekend, but I got through it.  

I spent today preparing for the week and have a chicken chili finishing up in the crockpot and just pulled brussel sprouts and prosciutto out of the oven.  2 lessons learned this week - I HATE dicing onions, seriously, tears run down my face and my nose runs and I hate it.  So I've decided it's worth slightly more to buy them from whole foods or trader joes already diced.  And 2 - always be sure to check that the crockpot is actually plugged in - mine was not today setting me back a few hours so my chicken chili did not end up being dinner.  Oh well!

Good luck with the coming week all!

Kudos to you! It does get better as time progresses. I'm on Day 29 and think I'm going for a Whole 60. In fact I am committed to a Whole 60! Prep and cooking will become easier and I can't believe how delicious "real" food is. The energy I now have and the positive attitude make me wish I'd known about/done this a long time ago! Stay focused as this journey is fabulous and worth it!

Archived