Please help! Cant sleep! Dizzy! One week in

Lana27

Hi! My name is Lana. I've started this diet a week ago. The first few days were amazing! I was happy, woke up refreshed and was full of energy all day long. On the day 3rd I couldnt fall asleep easily. I struggled with sleep next day and the day after that even though I included strachy veggies in my dinner... Last night I had enough- I was dizzy all day and felt groggy all day- so I ate some oatmeal and teaspoon of honey.. Today I had darkness in my eyes a couple if times when I got up, still dizzy and feel yacky ... I know I has always had low blood pressure.. May be I should take it slow? Please help! I want this to work!!

Im also from Russia- sorry for my english mistakes!! Thank you

Hi Lana.

I'm sorry you're feeling so poorly.  It sounds like you're either not eating enough, not drinking enough water, or are coming down with a cold.

Can you post a log of what you've been eating for meals and any snacks the past few days, as well as your daily water intake, and any exercise?

With that information, we can better help you get restarted on the right track: are you aware that honey and oatmeal are not compliant on a Whole30?

GFChris, thank u for your reply. I know that oatmeal and honey are not compliant. I had a sweet potato and a carrot snack before I went to bed. It didnt help so I went for honey and oatmeal. I feel asleep immediately.

My breakfast consists of eggs, fresh vegetables, grapefruit. May be a piece of bacon. I drink black coffee only in the morning. Afternoon I have meat from last night, salad, a banana or other fruit. I make sure I drink water all the time. I've been extremely active recently- but little exercise really. Dinner is always mean, sautteed veggies ... I eat potatoes for dinner too. My snack is usually an apple , carrots - may be a little turkey.

It's hard to tell quantity of your food, but you want to have as many eggs in a serving that you can hold in one hand without dropping them. For most people, that's at least 3 eggs.

Is the bacon compliant? (no sugar or sweetener, for example)

Have 1-3 cups of vegetables per meal.

Are you having fats at every meal?  Use the meal template as your guide to proper fat serving size.

The recommended snack is a mini meal of protein, vegetables and fat.  Try to not use fruit as a snack and instead have it with or immediately after your main meals only.

Thank you for the mail template... So you think I was not getting enough food? But I would alway leave the table full...may be not enough fats.. But would it make me dizzy? I did my own clarified butter- I have it with vegetables in the morning.. Nuts- yeah, that I forgot. I had avocados a few times last week..but not recently.and I usually sauté vegetables using olive oil...

Is almond butter ok to eat?

Thanks again

A salad may fill you up initially, but typically doesn't keep you satisfied for long. Cooked vegetables can help.

When you saute with oil, much of the oil stays behind in the pan. So you need to account for that by adding more fat.

Almond butter is a fat, with a recommendation, like any nuts, to be used on a limited basis.

Thank you again.. But why cant I fall asleep easily? Because Im not getting enough fats??

Im considering taking magnesium before bed. I read it in the book. But I am afraid if I start taking magnesium I'll sleep will depend on it forever. I know I sound crazy but Im very funny about meds... Lol

Magnesium is really not a medication.  It is something that our body needs and most people don't get enough of. We are supposed to get a good amount through diet, but most of our diets are so depleted now days.

The key with magnesium is to start with small doses and then move up to a amount that works well for you.

Starchy veggies will help, as well as fat content.  So basically everything needs to work together.

You shouldn't be hungry at any point.  Salads don't fill me up either - but a salad with protein and a soup on the side - that's a good meal.

If you are hungry between meals - like hungry enough to eat something really bland and boring like steamed fish and broccoli - then eat!  We recommend a minim meal (meaning it looks like a template meal, but smaller).

You mention feeling dizzy - are you salting your food?  Since we are eliminating all processed foods by eating this way, we need to make sure we get enough salt.  Especially if you think your blood pressure is on the low side.

Thank Goodness for your website :) I think Im feeling better today. I ate avocado last night and took D3 + magnesuim supplement. This morning I had 3 eggs with butter and vegatables... Looks like I was not following it properly... Does all of my meals have to have all that the meal template suggest? oooff-its a lot lol

whats really interesting is that I dont want any sweet stuff... I heard about sugar dragon and cravings but so far so good. Knock on wood I didnt have any, yet :)

Carlaccini, thank you for your reply:) I salt my food too much I think lol

• Administrators

Hi Reihino, butter is not Whole30 compliant, if you want to use butter you need to either clarify it or make Ghee with it.

For optimal results, we do recommend that each meal (and any mini meal) fit the template, yes.

To summarize the template in case it was overwhelming to you:

1-2 palms (length, width and thickness) of protein

1-3 cups of veggies (more if it is salad greens)

1-2 thumbs of fat (or half to whole avocado or handful olives)

Repeat this three times a day

*we recommend at least one starchy veggie serving per day (serving = fist sized).  More if you are highly active, more if you are feeling low or cranky, more if you are a woman leading up to or having her period, less if you are not active, less if you have a lot of weight to lose.

Ladyshanny, the thing is I clarified the butter - myself. Well, my husband is a chef so he helped me. :) Clarified butter is a huge thing in Russia - my parents used to buy it from local farmers all the time !!

I want to know if I just have a full spoon of coconut butter instead of avocado/olives sometimes? How important to eat nuts every day?

Im not very into sports. I only work out when Its nice and warm outside, lol

I almost finished the book written by Melissa and David... facinating stuff... mind-changing really...

I want to know if I just have a full spoon of coconut butter instead of avocado/olives sometimes? How important to eat nuts every day?

Yes to the coconut butter question.  You don't have to have nuts at all on a Whole30.  While they are an approved fat, the recommendation is to have them on a limited basis.

Thanks everybody! Im not blacking out anymore during the day. But Im still having a really hard time falling asleep. I stay sleep fine - its just the beginning is exausting...

And my hunger level is very low- Im only eating because I know its time... :(

Archived