Confused reading all the posts…

Hi,  I'm a newbie only on day 4.  I have a  few questions:  One is how many potatoes (sweet and white) should we have weekly?  Same question with fruit.  Can I have some daily with my meal?  How many meals?  After reading several posts where people are having sweet potato fries/chips, snacks, smoothies, and fruit several times a day, I'm confused!  I thought we ate 3 meals period, and were not supposed to eat snacks unless working out more than 20 minutes, and not eat things like fries/chips with our meals.  I like only a very few veggies so adding potatoes or fruit to at least a meal a day really sounds great to me.  I'm guessing my husband should be eating a lot more than me as he goes through this?  So how many eggs is too many for breakfast or whenever?   Thanks!!! :)

• Administrators

Hooboy.  ;)

You are right, the goal is to create meals that are large enough to sustain you for 4-5 hours without having to snack.  "Snacking" as we commonly know it is discouraged but if you are hungry, please eat.  Our recommendation is a mini meal of at least protein and fat but ideally also veggies.

Sweet potatoes (and white and all the other starchy carbs) is a personal decision.  The starting recommendation for most is one serving a day (serving being fist sized), more if you are highly active, more if you're feeling low and crappy, more if you are a woman leading up to her period, less if you are not active, less if you have a lot of excess weight to lose.  

Fruit is not discouraged at all, the recommendation is 1-2 pieces per day, always eaten with a regular meal, not on its own.

Smoothies are in fact discouraged.  Not against the RULES, but not in line with giving yourself optimal results.  Any food that you drink is less valuable to your body than food you chew.  Also, smoothies are fruit heavy.

Fries and chips prepared commercially are not allowed.  If you want to cut up potatoes or sweet potatoes into long "fingers" and call them fries, go crazy.

Your hubby should be eating to his own personal template just as you should be to yours. Using his own palm and thumb and fist for measurement.

Be aware that depending on where in this forum you are reading people's posts about what they are eating, you could be getting something besides an accurate representation of the program. The Whole30 logging area is largely unmoderated and you will see some questionable choices there from time to time.  The best place for the rules and recommendations is the Whole30 website.  And your most secure choice for the Whole30 stance on questions throughout the forum is from the moderator group.  

I think I got all your questions, did I miss anything? ;)

• Administrators

Oh!  About the eggs!  A serving of eggs as the singular protein source at a meal is as many as the "eater" can hold in one hand without dropping.  For even the smallest of women that is at least 3.  For men it's far more.  

There is no upper limit specified on daily egg consumption however I will say that some people (myself included) find that they reach an amount of egg and they can keep adding and adding but the satiation factor just doesn't increase therefore they will add a smaller number of eggs and a second type of protein.  

We also, of course, recommend you try to vary your protein sources so while you can eat eggs at every meal (and there is someone doing the Whole30 right now who is successfully doing just that), you get more nutrient variety by stretching your wings.

Ladyshanny did a fine job on answering your questions.

To further clarify on the fruit, it's optional on a Whole30.  Serving size is a fresh piece of fruit the size of your fist. For best results, don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate.

Oh!  About the eggs!  A serving of eggs as the singular protein source at a meal is as many as the "eater" can hold in one hand without dropping.  For even the smallest of women that is at least 3.  For men it's far more.  

There is no upper limit specified on daily egg consumption however I will say that some people (myself included) find that they reach an amount of egg and they can keep adding and adding but the satiation factor just doesn't increase therefore they will add a smaller number of eggs and a second type of protein.  

We also, of course, recommend you try to vary your protein sources so while you can eat eggs at every meal (and there is someone doing the Whole30 right now who is successfully doing just that), you get more nutrient variety by stretching your wings.

Oh I didnt know that! I'm sure I can fit at LEAST two more eggs in my hand. :) I love eggs!

To add to the great advice, above, from Ladyshanny and Chris, to have THE BEST results from the program you will want to include 1-3 cups of non-starchy veggies per meal.  It is definitely ok to have root vegetables or fruit with meals, but they should not take priority over the non-starchy vegetables.  You stated that you do not like many vegetables, so I am going to paraphrase Whole 30 veteran forum moderator, Tom Denham, and say: You Are An Adult And You Need To Eat Your Vegetables!  Experiment with different cooking methods (lots of people love roasted veggies), spices and combinations.  You need to eat your veggies! ;)

Archived