My Paleo Mayo is salty... bleh

shparkle

Hi! I just made (as in, an hour ago) Melissa's recipe for Paleo mayo. I left the egg and lemon out for an hour, and they weren't room temp, but I didn't want to risk bacteria so I went ahead and made the mayo. It was the right texture and all... but too salty and lemony. Any suggestions for how to balance out the flavor? I want to try to salvage this mayo since the olive oil cost me a small fortune.

sorry i'm not sure how to make what you have less salty or lemony but for next time ... i don't use salt in my mayo ... 1 egg, 1 cup olive oil, juice of half small lemon ... i leave the egg in it's shell and the lemon on the counter for 4+ hours and it is always perfect as long as i take my time with adding the oil ... good luck on your whole30! things are much tastier with mayo!

I only use half of the salt and double the dry mustard. I also tried 1 TBS if fresh lemon juice and 1 TBS coconut secrets, raw coconut vinegar I liked that combo.

It's fun to experiment with different combo's. I agree with SueWyatt that everything is better and tastier with mayo!!!!  That should be a slogan on a shirt,LOL.

I would also like to add that I use 1/2 cup extra-light virgin olive oil and 1/2 cup coconut oil and at times I add 2 TBS of macadamia nut oil and this last batch I added 2 TBS. Palm Oil,,,,,delish!!

It was the right texture and all... but too salty and lemony. Any suggestions for how to balance out the flavor? I want to try to salvage this mayo since the olive oil cost me a small fortune.

Thanks  :)

Are you sure you used only 1/2 tsp of salt? I use Melissa's recipe all the time (since summer 2013), and I find it's flawless.   If it's too salty for you, cut back to 1/4 tsp. Too lemony?  Try 1 tbsp lemon juice and 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar instead.

As far as salvaging your current mayo, you could add some of your favorite spices to it to make a dressing.  Or, search the forum for ways others have salvaged mayo.

I would also like to add that I use 1/2 cup extra-light virgin olive oil and 1/2 cup coconut oil and at times I add 2 TBS of macadamia nut oil and this last batch I added 2 TBS. Palm Oil,,,,,delish!!

The recommendation is to use *light* olive oil, NOT extra virgin, as it tastes too bitter in the mayo.  If you found a way the taste works for you, more power to you!  :)

• Moderators

You can use mayo that is "too salty" to make tuna salad or salmon salad. Instead of adding salt to the other ingredients, just add the mayo and let it bring the salt. I make mayo without measuring and occasionally use too much salt. :)

• Moderators

I definitely use a wee bit less salt in my mayo. As Tom mentioned, it's still excellent stirred into your eggs, meat, veggies, whatever.

Your other option is make another batch with maybe 1/4 of the salt, and mix them together. Yes, that may seem like a lot of mayo but honestly mine always keeps for a long time. We eat it very quickly, I only know this because I found a jar after we returned from 5 days away.

We use a peeled raw potato for anything that is too salty  i.e. any soup, broth or gravy that's been over-salted.   It's worth a try rather than throwing it out.    Slice the raw potato in large chunks and let set for 5-10 minutes...then remove the potato slices.  

We use a peeled raw potato for anything that is too salty  i.e. any soup, broth or gravy that's been over-salted.   It's worth a try rather than throwing it out.    Slice the raw potato in large chunks and let set for 5-10 minutes...then remove the potato slices.  

Oho, interesting!

Lemons vary in flavor and acidity, so I've moved toward white balsamic vinegar for my mayo. I'm usually pretty sensitive to salt, so I use about 1/4 teaspoon salt and sometimes add a bit more when I eat the mayo.

If you're worried about the bacteria, it's easy to pasteurize the egg and you won't notice the difference in the finished mayo. The acid in vinegar or lemon juice is enough, though. :)

What kind of salt are you using? The first time I made homemade mayo mine was really salty as well. A friend of mine asked if I had used sea salt, which I had. She said sea salt tends to be a bit saltier than regular salt and that I didn't need to use a much. Since then I still use my measuring spoon, but I don't fill it up all the way. Seems to work for me. 

Archived