I've hit a plateau on losing weight...HELP!

KBear

I started my first Whole30 last October and lost 14 pounds.  I gained 2 pounds back during the Holidays and started another Whole30 on January 1st.  I am on day 27 and I am only down 3 pounds this round.  I have hit a plateau and I need some ideas on what I can do to start losing weight again.  Exercising right now is not much of an option due to my health issues.  I wasn't exercising last Whole30 either.  I haven't done anything different this time, then I did last time. 

Ideas, suggestions to start the weight loss again? 

My recommendation is to stay off of the scale. It's one of the rules, and for good reason. There is so much more going on with your body that a scale can't tell you, and really what is that number doing for you? It's discouraging you and making you second guess the healthy choices you are making.

Perhaps you've plateaued because your body is focused on healing, or because you aren't sleeping enough. There are many possible reasons, but you should focus more on the non-scale victories. Those will help you stick with it while you wait for the weight loss.

• Moderators

First, yes, stay off the scale. It's a rule that should not be broken for so many reasons.

Second, how is losing three pounds over the course of a few weeks a plateau? That's a loss, not a plateau. Relax. And slow down.

I understand the reason for staying off the scale.  I stayed off the scale 100% the first round.  This time, I have gotten on and off the scale and I am bouncing between those 2 or 3 pounds.  That is why I say I have hit a plateau.  I feel great otherwise.  My skin has cleared up, I sleep much better....but let's be real.  I still want to lose weight.  It is frustrating to bounce between 2 and 3 pounds and not feel a difference in your clothes as well.  I was hoping for some advice on how to kick start my weight loss again.  I can stay off the scale...but that doesn't mean the weight will start to come off.  Any advice on maybe adding extra protein, reducing fat intake, etc??

Notyouravrgpaleomama, thank you for the positive, kind feedback :)

Weight loss is not a linear process.   Many of us look forward to being on the other side of releasing weight.   But we can't wish our lives away in giant month hunks.    Many have reached that 'magical number' on the scale for only a fleeting moment.

So, gooooo slooooow.    Falling backward into our old habits is life and climbing out of them is transcendent.   We have to have a plan to deal with the mind warp the scale throws at us.

So many good choices you've made on your first Whole 30.  Off-roading over the holidays and now you're back in the groove.   Progress.....Not Perfection.

My suggestions for kick-starting your metabolism.

Protein, Vegetables, Good Fats  -   3 X aday = Recipe for the permanent WIN

Don't think of the Whole 30 as a periodic diet.    I believe in pulling what we need from lots of different sources.  I hope that vegetables are still your best friends.    

I don't know if you have a swimming pool nearby, but I suggest swimming.  There's little impact on the joints/knees and moving around in the water is healing.   If you can dog paddle or simply stand there  moving arms and legs -it is great for the body.    I  don't know your status but for others I meet at the pool,   some of them are in really tough shape.    Their joints/knees/backs cannot handle the impact of running or even walking.   A few have MS and one is paralyzed from the waist down.   The water is the only avenue or vehicle they have for taking care of themselves.   As their health status improves,  they can incorporate other forms of movement.

• Moderators

I never lost more than 2 pounds per month when I began my Whole30 journey. I kept losing 2 pounds per month for 15 months in a row. What you have to do is make living Whole30-style your way of life and everything else will sort itself out. 

By the way, the more weight you lose, the slower your weight loss is likely to become. Unfortunately, by trying to speed the process and force things along, you can cause a rebound affect by throwing your hormonal rhythms off. Lots of the things people do to force their way past a plateau screws with your hormones and often leads to weight gain soon after.

Honestly, I think that weighing yourself more than once per month makes weight loss harder. Stress is a factor and when you stress yourself by weighing (and don't kid yourself, it is a stressor for you), you make weight loss more difficult.

I wouldn't change anything from what the Whole 30 recommends for 30 days.   Beyond that,  I believe in the slow roll reintroduction.  A very slow process of adding additional food groups back into our own maintenance plan.

We do have to create a maintenance plan.  Without one we might quickly return to the old ways and haunts that brought us here in the first place.

There is nothing magical about any special number on the scale but there is something 'magically' wondrous and terrific about feeling great almost every day.   There was a time when eating proteins, vegetables and fats was the backbone of our childhood years.    It seems to be lost in the modern choices of fast food joints and frozen dinners.

The Whole 30 is only 30 days but I use the basic tenets of the Whole 30 for my maintenance plan.   Proteins, vegetables and fats are so easy to remember.     I have those 3 at every meal even when I'm not on a Whole 30.    Any additional foods can be added on top of those for your own individual choices.   I find when I stick with the  'trinity of the healing 3' - other foods I add are not from fast food joints or frozen dinners.    I can continue to keep building on the good choices I made all through a Whole 30.

That is a great article!  Thank you for sharing.  I have always been one to lose more inches than weight, but this time around I have been frustrated that I am not losing either one.  I really appreciate all the positive feedback.  I am on Whole30 for life and love the way I feel.  If I don't lose the weight, that's ok because I feel much better.  I just wanted some advice if someone had gone through the same frustration as I am. 

Weighing definitely stresses me out.  As I am reading through these posts, I just realized there is ONE thing I am doing different this time around.  And that is weighing myself.  I put the scale away the first time and didn't weigh myself until day 30.  So, it's time for me to go home and put the scale up again. 

Going to the pool would be wonderful for me.  I will have to try to do that.  I actually have MS as well and that is one of the best exercises you can do because  you don't get overheated.

Thank you for all the comments.  I am going home to put the scale away :)

Meadowlily - I LOVE this comment....There is nothing magical about any special number on the scale but there is something 'magically' wondrous and terrific about feeling great almost every day.  

Archived