Vegans following Whole30?

jjo

Hello,

I'm doing Whole30 as a vegan.  I'm not having any problems, just becoming a bit more creative :)

I know this program is geared towards meat eaters, but I wanted to start a topic where the other vegan(s?!) could share their experiences and ideas.  

Perhaps you are vegan, or perhaps you are almost-vegan (i.e. you eat some eggs).

Hope to meet you,

Jjo

Here is a post I put on another forum about what my eating looks like so far:

I'm doing the Whole30 as a vegan (NO eggs, dairy, chickens, fish, etc). It's not a very far reach from my regular, very clean diet. The big jump for me is to omit most legumes as well as the occasional rice or bean based pasta. I think for 30 days, it's no problem, but that would not be sustainable for me. The veggie/vegan suggestions by Whole30 include a lot of tofu. That makes me gassy, and I don't like too much soy in my diet, so I don't include that one.

I'm only on the 5th day. I've been eating a lot (like, A LOT), as I do in my usual diet. It is not impossible at all. 

Breakfasts are always smoothies (I use a protein powder that includes some stevia (yes, stevia, but this is vegan, so I'm fine to make that exception), which I mix with hemp powder that is very not-sweet). 

Lunches and dinners may include: 

zucchini pasta,

guacamole + veggies, 

blended veggie soups with lots of spices,

raw spring roll wraps inside of cabbage, sweet / regular potatoes, 

veggie curries

kelp noodles &

huge salads. 

I snack a lot in between, on tiger nuts (they are naturally sweet), veggies, almond butter, and these lemon-coconut-coconut oil-hemp heart bars I made (Yes, I made a bar. Again, a vegan exception to make an omega-and fat-filled bar snack). 

I have a spiralizer to make vegetable noodles, a juicer, and a dehydrator to make crackers from juice pulp. These will all help me.

I also drink a lot of herbal tea, some decaf coffee with coconut oil, and other tonics I make. I don't eat out or buy pre-made food, just like my usual diet. An exception would be to buy fresh vegetable juice if out.

I have seen that protein powders are pooh poohed a bit on here. I prefer mine to eating tempeh or tofu.

Hope I've made it seem a bit easier!

To clarify for other possible newbies reading this thread, and to avoid confusion, stevia, crackers and baked treats are not compliant on any version of a Whole30.

Smoothies are discouraged as the idea is to chew your food vs drink it. Protein powders are discouraged for that reason and also because it's difficult to find compliant brands.

The recommended snack is a mini meal of protein, veg and fat. Nuts/nut butters are a fat source.

To clarify what I was mentioning above, I dehydrate my own "crackers" from veggies. The "bars" I made are also raw, using compliant ingredients.

I felt that I stated that I chose to use the plant-based protein that contains stevia as an exception to Whole30.

I apologize for being unclear.

Yes, provided we move this thread out of the Whole30 for vegetarians section. I can move it to the Your Whole30 Log section, as we allow people to follow modified Whole30s in that space.

Message me when you see this post and I'll take care of moving this thread.

Smoothies are discouraged as the idea is to chew your food vs drink it. Protein powders are discouraged for that reason and also because it's difficult to find compliant brands.

I know this is true for the original Whole30, and while not optimal, hemp or pea protein are both approved as  "good " protein choices on the vegetarian shopping list. 

That being said, I would choose hemp (a seed) over pea (a legume) and note that Manitoba makes products with hemp being the only ingredient. 

Archived