Feb. 1st Re-introduction Phase

PoukieBear

Hi Folks!  

I hope you all had a great Whole30!!  Congratulations on making it this far!

It's time to start our re-introductions, and I know there are people out there just like me who are scared of doing this on your own.  That's what this thread is for.  To help us all out and keep this supportive community at our fingertips.  :)  You guys all rock.

Lets keep posting our daily meals, and our chosen "off plan" menu items that we've added in.

Just in case you need it, here is a link to the reccomended reintroduction schedule.

http://whole30.com/step-two-finished/

Keep in mind you don't have to follow this to a "T".  I, personally, will be adding in one off plan item per week, instead of every three days.

On Feb. 1st, you can also post your health improvements that you've notice over the past month.  This could be any weight loss, inches lost, headache reliefe, anxiety decrease, gut health....anything that you can think of!

Michelle.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi W30 BFF's! Glad to see familiar 'faces' here on the new thread. If our gang from http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/23414-anyone-planning-to-jump-in-on-january-1st-join-me/ forum/thread keeps up to date with posts, they'll see where we have all moved to (or transitioned to). I suppose we'll keep posting on Jan 1st thread until around 1st Feb, then move over??!!

Looking forward to staying in touch - Leanne xx

So glad that we'll all be posting after our Whole30 is up! I've started thinking about what I want to reintroduce and what I'm really not fussed about. Here's what I'm thinking of doing:

Re-introducing: Brown basmati rice, pulses and natural/Greek yogurt in small amounts over a two week period. I'm staying booze free until Valentines Day and then I'll be re-introducing red wine (in moderation at weekends/special occasions).

Not fussed about: Wheat and grains other than brown rice, sugar and all the things that contain it (cakes/cookies/chocolate/etc), cheese & milk. I really don't want these foods to be part of my regular diet but there will be times when I will have them (when it's REALLY worth it!!!) but I know that these foods are triggers that make me overeat and feel bad so most of the time they are not worth it.

Looking forward to doing my weigh-in and measurements and posting them here!!!

See you on the 1st Feb!

I'll be keeping it keto a while longer, so my reintro mainly involves soy, sulfites, and added sugar, just so I don't have to read labels as closely.  For the most part I eat fairly consistently, and so it's not like i'm buying new things with new labels all the time, but seems like soy lecithin is in damn near everything.  And lots of tasty stuff has that "contains 2% or less" with the added sugar (looking at you, broth!) ...

Might try a reintro of cheese & cream since a lot of keto people use those items.

The thing that really got me this W30 (#3 for me) is contemplating all the reasons behind eliminating the various things in the first place ... I find myself wondering, if these items are worth eliminating for 30 days, why would we reintro them at all?  I realize some thing like white rice are pretty much neutral for humans all'round, but just because someone reintros soy and doesn't have a reaction, doesn't necessarily mean that soy is "good".

Kinda like the FDA's category of "GRAS" (Generally regarded as safe) ... MSG falls in that category by the way.  So ya, it might not *hurt* you, but is anyone really arguing that it *helps* you?

On the fence about alcohol for this same rationale.

YAY US! We did it! Almost - two more days. Sounds like everyone is really clear about their reintro!! That's awesome. 

Kirkor I get what you're saying about some items - I think if we're honest with ourselves, the reintro will tell us what our guts like and don't like right now. One thing I'm getting is keep it whole foods in general (does not include sugar/alcohol). And our bodies are constantly shifting - I was diagnosed with leaky gut a while ago and for the longest time couldn't eat any gluten - and then after a few months, I could tolerate some gluten in intervals. 

I really appreciate Poukiebear's link above to reintro article So... no choc chip cookie. Not yet. It will be reeeallyyyy easy to justify having some pizza and beer with friends. Not yet.

Reintro for Feb: mostly SIBO/keto foods: yoghurt (YAY), SIBO acceptable cheeses and white rice, banana, blueberries, strawberries, dark choc in moderation, almond and coconut flours for muffins and breads.

Staying away from: sugar/alcohol, grains in general, most fruits except for what's listed above, beans.

This was my 1st W30 and I am very happy with the results. I was in the 'over 60' group (I am 67yy) and am really amazed at the results of just 30 days! Perhaps a weekly intro instead of every 3 days would be more beneficial. I joined and my dh went along for the ride, so to speak. I don't have cravings, so my fear is triggering this pattern again. I already know that I am 'sensitive' to dairy, grains and sugar...so reading any label is the new 'must' for me.

I have lost weight, my complexion is glowing (so I've heard), no brain fog, I laugh more (dh does too!), joint inflammation really is a thing of the past, mood swings are gone, gut flora are very, very happy, I sleep better and wake up happy, my energy levels are abundant!!

I like my new positive attitude and all it took was real foods and no science project additives.

Grok on!

My last day is February 3rd but I am getting a bit nervous.  I know myself and I fear I will fall back into old habits quickly. So I am considering extending to a whole35 just to cushion my reintroduction.  I have a long history of upper and lower GI problems and a raft of other issues, so my recalibration is taking a bit longer.  Just in the last two days, though, I feel like my whole GI tract is finally running efficiently and it feels AMAZING.  My skin is glowing too, which I also find incredible after age 60. I have energy and feel like I can lift anything.  I don't particularly miss dairy, beans or obvious desserts but I do miss wine, hard bread and cheese very much.  I know that every person who has accomplished the Whole30 must feel the same way.  THIS WORKS.  I FEEL LIKE A NEW PERSON.  BUT.......it is still HARD.  It is still a deliberate, daily decision to persevere.  There will ALWAYS be food or drink that I am missing.  And I wonder, and I ask myself, why isn't my feeling so good ENOUGH to keep me committed?  Thank you for reading.  I am just trying to give myself some food for thought. 

Just touching base w/our Jan 1st group -- I'm also in the 60+ group & restoring my health through paleo + lifestyle changes. Day 29 for me, but here is my reintro plan for this, my 5th Whole30:

Soy-free eggs, seed spices, e.g. black pepper,coriander, along with some "paleofied" things like plantain wraps.

Keep calm & Whole30 on!

Glad this thread is up and ready for us- thanks PoukieBear!

I'll probably only introduce one category per week as well, since there's really only two groups I'm missing: the yogurt/cheese group and the beer group.  ;)

Then I travel to Ireland for a couple of weeks, so we'll see how easy/hard it is to maintain a mostly paleo diet there. Hopefully not terrible, as I'm planning to move there but I may end up living on salads and fish...

One more day for most of us-keep it up!

@kirkor: it means eggs from chickens that are not fed soy - the proteins show up in the eggs. Doing AIP due to cross-reactivity w/gluten & multiple autoimmune conditions. Tried to reintro free range eggs last time, but it didnt go well. Finally found a local source that says no soy in the feed, so we'll see how it goes.

I hope to stay on a similar eating plan with slight deviations ....less label reading, some wine in the evenings, and doing a few paleo friendly wraps and breads from time to time. I like the veggie, fruit, protein balance I've been eating so see no reason to return to my old habits of high carbs and sugar... I have a birthday coming up in a few days and plan on enjoying it with my family. I have been soooo tired lately so am wondering if I've cut back too far on starchy carbs. A bit of an increase might be a good thing. It's always a bit scary thinking that, in doing so, I might undo the gains that have been made. Tentative.....

I'm still trying to get my head around re-intro and what I hope to achieve so not sure on what this looks like for me yet...better get cracking as tomorrow is Day 1 of re-intro!!!

Pre W30 I wasn't fully body aware, to know what foods didn't agree with me so I suppose it will all be trial and error.

I intend to write my 'success story' here http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/26-success-stories/, so tomorrow I'll post the link in this thread and you can find out even more than you already do about me!

Ciao for now - Leanne xx

Aren't all eggs soy-free?  :blink:

Unfortunately many farmers feed their chickens soy feed so that impacts the eggs.  I am fortunate the Whole Foods store I shop at carries them as well as a local farmers markets.  They aren't cheap but they are good and it does make a difference.

It is day 29 for me and it has been a relatively easy journey for me this time. I got rid of the Christmas bloat and have had no headaches this month - not even in the first week.

I won't be adding much back in because of the digestion issues I am working on.

I will try adding in this order:

Day 1 - Non-gluten grains – white rice, buckwheat

Day 4 – Goat Cheese, Parmesan Cheese, Butter

Day 7 - ??? Maybe tomatoes if the rest goes well. I miss having spaghetti squash and sauce.  Nomato sauce is okay but it isn't the same.

I know how I respond to gluten grains and legumes so need to go there. I also know how I respond to sugar and it is amazing how easy it is to not add sugar back in if you aren't a baker. I will probably use a small bit of honey in my evening chamomile and peppermint tea. I plan on having a glass of wine when out for dinner.  And it will be great to not have to be so vigilant with ingredients when eating out. I missed plantain crackers (from PaleoMom), plantain crust pizza (http://simpleandmerry.com/blog/portfolio/aip-plantain-pizza/) and Jackson’s sweet potato chips.  I almost forgot about the really good chocolate and that will be a sometime treat. Thanks for all the support of from this forum.  It is really helpful!

My biggest challenge is knee-replacement surgery on Feb 23.  I will cook up a bunch of recipes and freeze but I will be in a rehab facility for about 10 days and I am thinking that if I can get them to be gluten and dairy free I will be lucky. So I may be back on Whole 30 in the next few months.  But I feel like I am well prepared on the front end.

Hey!

Re soy free eggs - hmmm that's something to think about. Am doing research on it now. Thank you, Thewyrdwoman and Kirkor!

Day 30 Whole 30 WOOHOO and clarification on reintro:

Day 1 SIBO acceptable fruit - ripe banana and frozen blueberries. Reintroducing this mainly for SIBO reasons - and because I want my whipped frozen banana treat.  Fruit will be a rare treat anyhow for SIBO reasons ... I'm also joining the KetwhOle30 forum since I found that my body went into keto during Whole 30 and am experimenting with that.

Day 4 yogurt and SIBO acceptable cheeses - this would have been day 1 but have to make it and let it ferment for 24 hours (again for SIBO). I'm going to make my first zucchini SIBO lasagna that looks really good!

Day 7 if fruit ok, then honey/banana sweetened coconut/almond flour muffins - one with each meal. It's the almond flour primarily that I'm testing as I suspect almond flour is triggering cold sores (almonds/flour contains arginine, which can trigger cold sores). I've learned that almonds also contain omega 6 fatty acids so am reducing intake in general.

Happy Reintro everyone!

Today marks the final day of my first Whole30, so I'll start my reintroductions tomorrow. I definitely plan to indulge in some hummus and maybe a stick of gum! I also dearly miss my banana ice cream made with protein powder or my tofu pudding, so I may make one of those as a snack. Is that too much for one day?

Honestly, I may return to my old eating habits following this experience. I really enjoyed the new foods and recipes I tried during my whole30 and feel that I've overcome some of my fat phobia, but I haven't seen any significant changes. My weight seems to be the same, energy levels are normal, complexion is good...I really tried the whole30 as a personal challenge and as a way to break my addiction to nasty artificial sweeteners. No cravings there, but I definitely plan to reintroduce stevia (it's those other sweeteners I have a problem with). 

I had a fairly similar diet before I started the Whole30, with the exception of hummus, feta cheese, greek yogurt, stevia, about 1-2 servings of whole grains on most days, and alcohol on weekends. I'm also pretty active and wanted to maintain muscle mass and the weight I've worked so hard to put on after losing an unhealthy amount. Since I haven't noticed any major changes, I'm kind of inclined to just eat in a more structured manner and include these foods again.

I feel like my post is kind of all over the place because I'm totally torn as to what to do. I know I'll feel guilty going back to these foods because I labeled them off limits for the last 30 days, but that just might be my orthorexic history. Help/advice? Has anyone been in a similar situation or known someone else who has been? Thanks! 

• Administrators

Today marks the final day of my first Whole30, so I'll start my reintroductions tomorrow. I definitely plan to indulge in some hummus and maybe a stick of gum! I also dearly miss my banana ice cream made with protein powder or my tofu pudding, so I may make one of those as a snack. Is that too much for one day?

Hi Jordan, if you are wanting to do a proper reintroduction protocol, then yes, that is too much for one day. I know you said that you really didn't notice any huge changes but it's possible that your body healed at a cellular level. If you really want to assess how certain foods are going to affect you, try to follow a more structured reintroduction. For instance for you I would try the gum alone to determine how artificial sweeteners affect you. Wait 2-3 days on strict Whole30 and assess yourself and then try the protein powder and other dairy products. Wait 2-3 days, assess, then try the tofu or other legumes.

Here's the original reintroduction protocol and the "slow roll" protocol.

http://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/

HOOORRRAAYYYYY! Day 31 at last! 

I've copied and pasted from our other W30 thread http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/23414-anyone-planning-to-jump-in-on-january-1st-join-me/page-54 so apologies for the repetition if you've already read some of this post. ;)

Sooo, the news everyone is holding out for re: their own Day 31 - results! I hate to say, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to break up with my scales.....they did give me a lift this morning so it may be a little way down the track before I stop caring about what I weigh!

I'm pleased to report that I lost 4.6kg/10+lbs - woo hoo! My starting weight was 78.2kg/172+lbs and today's weight is 73.6kg/162+lbs. FYI I'm 46 years old and my height is 1.65cm/5’6”. A healthy weight for my height should be no more than 68kg so I've got a bit of a way to go!

BUT, it's not all about the weight loss, is it! I have other stats and health successes which I will post in the 'share your story' section of W30. I'll drop in the link when I get my story compiled - hopefully today or tomorrow!

Showed hubby my before and after pics (they are for our eyes only I'm afraid), you DON'T want to see them, I guarantee you!!! You can really see the differentce my stomach looks a lot less bloated and my usually small waist is re-imurging. I look less puffy for sure!

Re: re-intro Day 1. I'm going to follow the template re-intro foods. Today is legumes! Menu thus-far:

M1

Coconut coffee

Macadamia nut oil for shallow frying (2 eggs, artichoke hearts, half avo, brown lentils, baby spinach), sunflower seed butter on the side

M2

Apple iced tea

Miso soup (tofu, miso, nori, benito, dulse, bean sprouts) + green apple with multi nut butter + added chopped peanuts

I feel pretty aware of how my boday is feeling now - no digestive issues or any ailments that I can identify, so it will be interesting to see how things pan out after introducing each new food group. I'm going to do a day on, day off new foods (not over 3 days), so today is legumes, tomorrow back to W30, Day 3 will be non-gluten grains, Day 5 will be Dairy, Day 7 will be gluten containing grains etc.

I feel like my post is kind of all over the place because I'm totally torn as to what to do. I know I'll feel guilty going back to these foods because I labeled them off limits for the last 30 days, but that just might be my orthorexic history. Help/advice? Has anyone been in a similar situation or known someone else who has been? Thanks! 

JordanD21, I too have guilt about re-introducing certain foods/'drinks' alcool06.gifdrinking-wine-smiley-emoticon.gif for sure. I never thought I'd go 30 days without a sip of wine or bubbly, bit I have and now I'm afraid to re-introduce it (whoa, should I have joined an AA forum??!!) Anyway, this journey is about breaking habits, not cutting out particular foods or drinks from your life forever if you don't need to....more on that later...

Ok, end of Day 1 - M3 was: Steak, mushrooms fried in ghee, roasted beetroot, salad & delicious homemade hummus.

I'm not all that sure how this phase of the W30 works, can someone give me some of their knowledge on this please? I've eaten 4 different types of legumes today and if I DO  start to feel like 'weird' in any way, how weird is weird, and how do I know if it's just legumes (for example) that don't agree with me, or one of the legumes in particular?

So many questions...... :wacko:

Looking forward to reading everyone's Day 31 stories when I wake up tomorrow xx

Hi Jordan, if you are wanting to do a proper reintroduction protocol, then yes, that is too much for one day. I know you said that you really didn't notice any huge changes but it's possible that your body healed at a cellular level. If you really want to assess how certain foods are going to affect you, try to follow a more structured reintroduction. For instance for you I would try the gum alone to determine how artificial sweeteners affect you. Wait 2-3 days on strict Whole30 and assess yourself and then try the protein powder and other dairy products. Wait 2-3 days, assess, then try the tofu or other legumes.

Here's the original reintroduction protocol and the "slow roll" protocol.

http://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/

Thanks! I guess I need to decide what I've missed the most, which I have to say is hummus. So that includes all legumes, meaning I should also be able to try out peanut butter or peanut flour on the same day, correct? 

I've got a turkey chili planned for my family for the Super Bowl (only off ingredient would be the beans). Now the question is, if I feel fine with legumes today, could I also have them tomorrow and enjoy some with them? I know they'll give me a hard time if I don't, they did NOT like me doing the Whole30.

LeaC - I've definitely broken the nighttime glass of wine habit on the weekends. Honestly, I'm not even craving it. It's weird because I thought that would be the toughest part of this for me...honestly, none of the Whole30 was very difficult outside of dedicating time to food prep. I felt the same way about needing AA for having those thoughts hahah!

Archived