Feb. 1st Re-introduction Phase

PoukieBear

Hello All

Today's the day I officially reintro chocolate. But I have a confession - I had a piece yesterday too. Just one small Dove dark choc square. My excuse - last week I promised two teenage students of mine (sisters in same lesson) they would have choc if they practiced (i teach music by trade). It worked and all three of us had a piece together. I could not stop myself - chocolate actually is proven to produce a physical phemonema called magnetism and when it's around, it completely takes you over.

I think most of you might understand how powerfully shockingly wondrous and astounding it was. And I noticed something.... I wanted more. SO badly I wanted more - I was also quite tired and hungry, which I'm sure played into the desire/craving. I also felt this familiar edginess - very slight but there. I remembered suddenly how I USED to eat chocolate, like this: just one more. OK one more. This is my last piece. No more after this piece. And then I would feel really edgy and eventually come down with a cold that lasted two-three weeks. 

So - that is a good awareness to have! It is very very hard for me to stop eating chocolate and I could not really see that until yesterday. I might be a chocoholic BUT I'm not willing to give it up. Today I will have the allotted amount I've clearly defined for myself and then no more for the rest of the month - not even when I give it out to my teenage students as a last resort to get them to practice.

That said, I slept like a baby last night after a few nights of restless sleep. Also, my poops are back to normal. Yaaaayyyyy! I think the 24 hour fermented yogurt is really helping!! Love reading all your posts. Keep up the good work everyone - we're making it happen!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did dairy reintro yesterday- yogurt with fruit alongside breakfast, got lunch out with my coworkers and had a salad with lots of feta, a square of dark chocolate with my afternoon tea, chicken parm for dinner (used spaghetti squash and coconut flour, don't worry no gluten yet), and I even treated myself to a cup of hot cocoa made with a cup of milk, some really tasty straight dutch cocoa powder, a dash of cinnamon and the least sugar I could use to make it sweet to my tastes (less than a teaspoon). The fruit and yogurt was almost too sweet for us (wow!). I decided not to go out for froyo, I think the choices I made were better, but this is wayy more dairy than I would normally eat in a day. I was surprised my belly held up until after the cocoa. I woke up this morning unsurprised to find my knuckles sore on my right hand, and all of my joints feel a bit creaky. I also have a headache, and those blue lines under my eyes that come with stuffed sinuses. I'm eager to try a day with *just* yogurt at breakfast to see if I wind up with the same rxn.

We went to the farmers market today and hubs bought sourdough bread and homemade graham crackers made with local honey from a local bakery. I cannot wait until Monday to try them!

I think most of you might understand how powerfully shockingly wondrous and astounding it was. And I noticed something.... I wanted more. SO badly I wanted more - I was also quite tired and hungry, which I'm sure played into the desire/craving. I also felt this familiar edginess - very slight but there. I remembered suddenly how I USED to eat chocolate, like this: just one more. OK one more. This is my last piece. No more after this piece. And then I would feel really edgy and eventually come down with a cold that lasted two-three weeks. 

Hope you enjoyed your chocolate, I know I did! And I know exactly what you mean about "one more piece". My tried and true tactic for this is to buy good chocolate, take out one piece, put the bag away, and savor that piece! This just doesn't work with something like M&M's, where I've done well if I didn't eat the entire bag!

I might be a chocoholic BUT I'm not willing to give it up. Today I will have the allotted amount I've clearly defined for myself and then no more for the rest of the month - not even when I give it out to my teenage students as a last resort to get them to practice.

bronnyd, good advice from sunsoakeddreamer...I would have suggested a similar tactic for handling your chocolate addiction because 'hey' everyone has to have a vice. If yours is chocolate, then learn to keep it under control and you'll NEVER have to give it up - happy days! If you can learn to savour that 1 or 2 pieces you allocate yourself then put the rest away, you have the best of both worlds, getting to enjoy the chocolate, but 'with brakes'!

That will be my mantra with wine (am hoping), 1 large glass - no refills, and not every night. Anything more than that and I will start to feel 'not my best self' and the guilt and associated symptoms will follow.....

Did dairy reintro yesterday-

The fruit and yogurt was almost too sweet for us (wow!). I decided not to go out for froyo, I think the choices I made were better, but this is wayy more dairy than I would normally eat in a day. I was surprised my belly held up until after the cocoa. I woke up this morning unsurprised to find my knuckles sore on my right hand, and all of my joints feel a bit creaky. I also have a headache, and those blue lines under my eyes that come with stuffed sinuses. I'm eager to try a day with *just* yogurt at breakfast to see if I wind up with the same rxn 

sunsoakeddreamer, I found your observations interesting, following my wine/dairy re-intro. I too had the next morning aching, swollen knee after overindulging on deliscious dairy. Tomorrow I try dairy again (no wine blurring the results) and I am excited (can you believe it) to see what the results are! Like I said earlier, I didn't think I had reactions to any foods, I thought it was just how my body was, so doing such an intense experienment on foods as we are certainly is an eye opener!

Interestingly, I haven't had any stomach bloat or tummy upsets during this past week, so I suppose it's true that different foods can affect people in different ways.

I re-intro'd wheat/gluten yesterday. Wholemeal toast M1, macaroni M2, breadcrumbs M3. I'm not sure if it's coincidental but I was sooo tired yesterday, I had no energy at all! It was Saturday and I had lot's of housework/chores to do but I just lacked motivation. We sat down after dinner and watched 'Gone Girl' (wow, very interesting film), but I couldn't get comfortable on the lounge and I was finding it hard to focus even though I was enjoying the movie. Could it have been the sugar spikes & troughs from the gluten? Kirkor, I'm sure you'll know...??? Anyway, feeling better this morning - another W30 day!

.......I just got up and walked to the kitchen to start breakfast, and I've also noticed a very slight headache - kind of like a mild hangover, although I feel much better in my body than yesterday???? :unsure:

Hey everyone!!!

Well, dinner at my in-laws went well - roast chicken, potatoes, parsnips, swede, Brussels sprouts and gravy....plus stuffing (looked great but I didn't have it!) and as I guessed my MILs apple crumble with crème fraiche (NO CLOTTED CREAM/CUSTARD/ICE CREAM....SHOCKING!!!!). When I declined pudding my MIL said 'I bought some low fat fruit yogurt especially for you and your diet'....I just said 'Aw, that's very kind but I'm really full, thanks.'. I had a couple of glasses of red and that was that.....I survived!!!

By the way, my lovely FIL noticed my 14lb weight loss and said 'Well, I'm not sure whether you'll take this the right way, and no offense,  but you look so much slimmer and better than at Christmas time'....I let him off the hook and said 'Yeah, I was getting kinda big but I feel much better now, thanks.'. MIL said NOTHING!!!! I mean....in what reality do men (esp 67 year old men) notice weight loss more than women do???? I guess I shouldn't be surprised....my FIL has always been lovely and my MIL has always looked for ways to make me feel bad. Oh well....can't win them all!!! By the way, my FIL didn't have any crumble either....he's not a pudding man but I think he was acting in solidarity as my MIL, hubby & kids tucked in to HUGE piles of apple crumble & cream!

So, I survived my first social event....so proud!

sunsoakeddreamer, I found your observations interesting, following my wine/dairy re-intro. I too had the next morning aching, swollen knee after overindulging on deliscious dairy. Tomorrow I try dairy again (no wine blurring the results) and I am excited (can you believe it) to see what the results are! Like I said earlier, I didn't think I had reactions to any foods, I thought it was just how my body was, so doing such an intense experienment on foods as we are certainly is an eye opener!

Interestingly, I haven't had any stomach bloat or tummy upsets during this past week, so I suppose it's true that different foods can affect people in different ways.

Hey LeaC- I too am finding everyone's observations very interesting- it's true that each one of us is our own experiment. Just before the Whole30 I finally put together that having pizza for dinner meant I was in for joint stiffness and soreness the next day- especially in my hands. Meanwhile my husband has pretty awful GI discomfort when dinner was cheesy. We've agreed to stop buying milk for the house, and I probably wont be cooking with much dairy. 

I feel so much better today then I did yesterday! My biggest challenge in trying to figure out where to go from here-- when I eat whole30 I have way more energy, but I seem to spend most of my time in the kitchen, so I'm not really harnessing that energy for any of the other things I want to accomplish. When I eat conveniently- quick box of pasta and jarred sauce for dinner lets say - I don't have the energy or motivation to do the things I want either. I'm searching for some intermediate territory here, or some cheats or ideas to streamline meal prep. The articles I've found so far aren't that helpful, I feel like success will be finding some go to recipes that are easy to prep. I'd love suggestions :)

Hey All

Funny clip, Kirkor - i too wondered why leaC put quotes around 'hey'. :)

I did just what sunsoakddreamer and leaC suggested - had a piece of Dove and put the bag away. Then I licked the chocolate bowl and blender mixing blades and spoon I used to make the flourless chocolate cake. (Forgot about that one realistic piece in my clear commitment - licking the bowl. HOW could I not?) 

And last night I had a tiny wedge of flourless cake at around 10 pm. The tort was really dark and dense and just melted in your mouth and HEY we just couldn't stop nibbling. There were 7 of us and we all ate just over half of the tort. I had a total of three tiny wedges. They were really really really really really (is there a limit to the number of really's I can use on this forum like the emoticons?) really really incredibly delicious. 

I also had a shot of bourbon with some hot water and some special butter a friend brought over that made it like a hot buttered bourbon and that simply rocked.

SO my clear strict commitment helped me to keep to one Dove square at least. And I did keep track of my eating last night rather than blindly throw it all to the wind. How do I feel today? Like the SIBO in my gut has had a minor win. Woke up with a tummy ache and diarrhea. Lots of water and a bit of yogurt later, I feel much better. Creating quite a bit of wind, speaking of.  

Gotta say, that was hella FUN. Fed the soul. Ahhhhhh. Am going to take a nap now. I love Sundays.

We went out for dinner last evening with friends.  Resisted the bread, had white fish and salad and vegetables.  The salad had some parmesan cheese on it, the whitefish had a tomato relish on it and some steamed veggies.  All seemed fairly innocent.  I also had a glass of wine.  Drank lots of water.  Forgot to say that I started my day with a piece of spelt bread and ghee prior to going to the gym.  Lunch was leftover Whole 30 hamburg tomato mixture with steamed cabbage.  

I woke up in the middle of the night with stomach cramps and didn't feel very well all morning.  I welcomed my Whole 30 sweet potato hash and eggs for breakfast.  So I'm not sure if it was the spelt bread for breakfast, cheese on salad, wine or just a combination of it all - or something that might have been added to my food in the restaurant kitchen.  I'm going to try to be Whole 30 compliant this week and just add a little gluten one day and a little dairy a few days later.  Of course, I've already done that but just want to try to figure it out more closely.

The good news is that I have lost another pound since the end of our Whole 30 (was that a whole week ago?).

Glad to see most are hanging in there trying to figure out what food our bodies don't like and then dealing with it.  

jump to ~0:15 ...

:)

I saw that it was a Duck Dynasty clip, but I couldn't open it. I don't watch Duck Dynasty so no, it wasn't a quote from there. I just over-use inverted commas, exclamation marks, .....'s and etc's!!!!! LOL!

I feel so much better today then I did yesterday! My biggest challenge in trying to figure out where to go from here-- when I eat whole30 I have way more energy, but I seem to spend most of my time in the kitchen, so I'm not really harnessing that energy for any of the other things I want to accomplish. When I eat conveniently- quick box of pasta and jarred sauce for dinner lets say - I don't have the energy or motivation to do the things I want either. I'm searching for some intermediate territory here, or some cheats or ideas to streamline meal prep. The articles I've found so far aren't that helpful, I feel like success will be finding some go to recipes that are easy to prep. I'd love suggestions :)

Sunsoakeddreamer - I hear you re: where to focus your energy? I COMPLETLEY get it and I feel the same way! If anyone out there is reading these posts and has the answer to post W30 living - do share!

MartaK, it's a pain, I know. You really need to break down all the food groups and re-introduce them one at a time or like me you'll be doing wheat, dairy & wine over.

I did the 2nd round re-intro of dairy today. I THINK I'm OK with it, but will see how the knee holds up tomorrow. Then I'll just be down to wheat (does it still make me tired?), then wine.

MartaK, I also weighed myself about a week later and I had not lost any more weight. I wonder why? I have been following 'the plan' so can't imagine what I'm doing differently? Is it the re-introduced foods? I'm certainly not snacking or eating processed foods. I do know that I haven't been eating as many veggies as I should, will need to rectify that. It's just a laziness thing. I won't weigh myself again until I've got the info I need on all my re-intro'd foods.

Night everyone! xx

I re-introduced Dairy yesterdsay.  My husband is OBSESSED with chocolate milk, and there were three containers of it in the fridge.  I admit, I chuged it right out of the container, and it was HEAVENLY!  

Then I waited for the nasty ractions like I thought I'd have.  And I waited.  And waited.  Then went out with girlfriends and have cream in my tea (and sugar).

Still no reaction.  Had Sour Cream at dinner.....still no reaction.

Today, no reaction.

THANK THE LORDS!!  

i will also admit that I caved in and had sugar yesterday.  First in my tea, then I ate one of my chocolate covered peanut butter balls that were made specially for me by a friend at work.  She made them for me at Christmas, and I tucked them away in my freezer until I was done my Whole30.  That was like heaven as well.  (I had to sneak it so hubby wouldn't see me....LOL.  because then he'd want one and I'm not good at sharing.)

i will also admit that I caved in and had sugar yesterday. First in my tea, then I ate one of my chocolate covered peanut butter balls that were made specially for me by a friend at work.

Well, to be fair, it was in the chocolate milk too ......... ;)

Hey All

Thoroughly enjoying reading these posts. Sunsoakeddreamer I too hear you about harnessing energy. Mine still comes and goes on a regular basis but one thing that really helps in both situations is cooking in bulk.

I'm just getting the hang of it I think -- cooked these items this weekend:  

Zucchini lasagna (heavenly! had two big pieces last night)

24 hr yogurt

Finger jello made with knox and kombucha. The kombucha is for sweetening/taste.

Chicken stock done and chicken in another container.

Cut up some kale and collards.

So this week I'll be eating lasagna and chicken soup with some blanched kale/collards. The only meal I cook from scratch is breakfast - usually bacon/sausage and eggs.

Next week will be a challenge... I'll be visiting my dad in Florida and bless his heart, he doesn't understand my situation. I plan on cooking basically same stuff over there. Am making a grocery list. My dad will make comments. I will tell him this is what I need to do to stay healthy right now and leave it at that. He'll like the lasagna. Maybe even the finger jello. Challenge will be the yogurt - I'll use his crockpot for that and keep it in my room otherwise he could very easily sabotage the process (as he's done in the past). He won't even know about the yogurt!

Whew. This planning is a challenge but not huge. Kinda fun. Main challenge this week will be to MOVE AWAY FROM THE CHOCOLATE!  Keep my hands where I can see them (can't see them in the chocolate bag). 

I can tell my tummy is getting better. I don't hurt all the time and I still fit into my smaller sized jeans (size 9-10).Yay! 

LeaC, keep on! Our joints do offer useful info, don't they? ;)

Hey All

Where is everyone??? I'm thinking of doing another whole 30 in March. Only caveat is dairy. Can I do a whole 30 and have 24 hour yogurt? It really makes a dif for me. Want to do another whole 30 because I'm changing habits and need the structure. 

Interesting what's been happening. Yesterday I was down and moody and really wanted chocolate. It was like an emotional hangover from Saturday. I haven't felt that gloomy in a long while - and really tired/lethargic. When I get that way (it's familiar) everything looks down. My big brain was thinking up scenarios right and left that were negative and futile - I was having arguments in my head with no one else in the room. Ah the drama. Then I got frustrated with self for being so egocentric, which is more ego. So I practiced noticing and carried on and went to bed at 9;45 (really early for me) and slept for 10 hours. I feel much better today.

I think this is possibly a hormonal reaction to the chocolate - and possibly the alcohol/butter as well. I stayed away from the choc but OMG my ego really tried to talk me into it. Such a sly voice she has. I hope/pray/plead that one day I will be able to have some fun and not pay for it. Friendly Fact of the day - it takes time for gut to heal. Let it heal. OK to work - Good Day All!

• Administrators

Hey All

Where is everyone??? I'm thinking of doing another whole 30 in March. Only caveat is dairy. Can I do a whole 30 and have 24 hour yogurt? It really makes a dif for me. Want to do another whole 30 because I'm changing habits and need the structure. 

Hey bronnyd, I get where you're coming from with this, but no, there is no Whole30 that includes dairy.  Technically you can do whatever you want because you are an adult and we don't peep in your windows to see if you are eating yogurt.....but we would not be able to have you list it or discuss the dairy in the standard Whole30 forums to avoid confusion with new people coming in.  

Might I recommend trying to determine what it is about 24 hour yogurt that seems to help you and see if there is something compliant that gives you the same result? My guess is it has to do with the probiotics in the fermentation....which should be possible to acquire from other types of fermented foods?

Just checking in -- the egg reintro didn't go so well.  After 2 consecutive days of egg-yolk mayo, I woke up definitely feeling congested.  So between that & the achy joints, I had to cut my long training run from 9 miles down to 2 miles.  Not good!

Note to self:  Self, DO NOT make dietary changes (including reintro of anything) 2 weeks before a race!! <facepalm>

So it looks like one (or more) of several possibilities: a) the soy-free eggs were not really soy-free; b ) my gut needs more time to heal; c) eggs are a cross-reactivity trigger & probably off the menu. :(

I completed my whole30 on 2/6/15. The next day I had gluten free bread at breakfast, lunch and dinner. I was very happy. The next morning I had the very slightest swelling of my right hand and knuckles. (I have RA). It was almost un-noticable but I was trying very hard to be aware of my body. Ate whole30 clean the rest of that day. On day 3 I had gouda cheese and gluten free crackers for an afternoon snack and then a small bowl of ice cream after dinner. The next day and the following day (which is today) I have had no symptoms of anything. So, does that mean that dairy is okay for me? I wonder if I ate enough of it to make any issues or no?

Tomorrow I introduce wheat products. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks for all the help on these forums! 

lol, yep, that's why the reintro schedule exists. :) Sorry you had to go through that. Any plans for a full Whole30 again at some point this year?

Sorry for the late response...I've now done three Whole30s over the course of three years, so I'll probably stick with that schedule unless something happens...

So after my disastrous (but tasty) reintro, I went back on the Whole30 for a few days just to get my GI tract sorted. I kept the dinner reservation though and had a little wheat (bread) and a little dairy (4-5 bites of cheesecake). Had the headache in the morning but nothing major. Last weekend I reintroduced cheese by adding some to my breakfast casserole...a lot less than I would have before the Whole30 but still enough to bind stuff together. Sorry, but breakfast casseroles taste better with cheese...they just do. :) I started making one every Saturday during the Whole30 and I'm going to keep at it because it saves me time in the mornings.

Anyway, that and bacon (still nitrate-free, but with sugar added) is all I've reintroduced up till now and so far my stomach seems to be okay. I made paleo risotto tonight (with Parmigiano Reggiano cheese) and again, I'm sorry, but cauliflower "rice" isn't rice at all. I think my next reintro is going to be rice (arborio, in a real risotto) but I'd like to make it a once-in-a-while thing and stick to grain-free going forward.

I'm also going to see how long I can continue going largely sugar- and sweetener-free. I can't believe it's been 41 days since I last put sugar in my coffee! It helps to have good coffee though.

Hope everyone's doing well!

Hi everyone

So I'm happily coasting along having re-introduced brown rice, kidney beans, a little bit of dairy (semi-skimmed milk in coffee and I had a small amount of cheddar yesterday plus a small amount on stilton on Monday) plus a bit of red wine last weekend. I've still not had wheat or sugar (apart from in fresh fruit & of course the wine). I'm absolutely craving toasted English muffins with butter & raspberry jam....that'll be wheat & sugar in one yummy breakfast that I'm planning for Valentines Day!!!

hey guys, it's quiet in here, what's everyone up to?

Monday I reintro'd gluten. Sourdough bread with breakfast and lunch, a home made graham cracker (heavenly!), and pasta and flour with dinner. 

Just before dinner I got so lightheaded and nauseous I thought I might faint, had an apple and some sunbutter (really had to force feed myself, which is odd since this is a favorite of mine). It's a feeling I usually get if I'm hours late for a meal- a blood sugar crash I think. Then yesterday and today I have had the worst fatigue. I ended up taking today off because I just am so exhausted, not even tired just worn out completely, with headache and nausea on and off. Not sure if it's the gluten/high carbs, or if I have some sort of virus.

So my plan is to eat whole30 today, then if I'm feeling better tomorrow I want to try a bit of yogurt with the rest of my day whole30, and evaluate just yogurt. Next I'll retry rice for one day. Then I want to try my homemade wheat bread for one day, just one serving. I think then I can feel a little more confident in knowing my rxns and what it will mean to decide to eat those foods again in the future. Basically I'm repeating reintro week. 

I can say I will definitely be bringing in peanuts again. Soy sauce will be limited to stir frys only- something we have a couple times a month. 

I must say I kind of like the reintro schedule, 2 days on whole30 one mindful day off.

On day 3 I had gouda cheese and gluten free crackers for an afternoon snack and then a small bowl of ice cream after dinner. The next day and the following day (which is today) I have had no symptoms of anything. So, does that mean that dairy is okay for me? I wonder if I ate enough of it to make any issues or no?

In ISWF they encourage you to look at choosing dairy (or any other non whole30 grub) as making a less healthy choice. Here's the flow chart for making mindful decisions when "off-roading". So basically it's up to you, and it will probably take some more experimenting to know what the right balance is.

Archived