Feb. 1st Re-introduction Phase

PoukieBear

My first day of re-intro and I am doing gluten. Had a piece of spelt toast with ghee before heading to the gym this morning.

I lost 7 pounds during the Whole30 (150 to 143, 5'6", 60 years old). I was thrilled with that since some of my current weight is muscle weight. I'm in a fairly-intense (for a 60 year old) weight/plank Strength for Life workout program. It's just am amazing day! Look forward to keeping up with everyone on their re-intros!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@JordanD21: the official schedule calls for 2 full days of 100%-compliant eating between reintro of food categories. But you're going to have to make the call. You may have seen above that @leaC is just doing 1 day in-between ... so you've got to pick what works best for you (proclivities, planned events, etc.). The schedule is based on least potential for reaction to greatest. So ideally you'd save dairy and gluten for later in the reintro, since in "most" people, those categories have greater affect on folks than legumes, corn, rice, or sugar.

kirkor - Thanks for your advice. I may just delay my reintro to legumes until tomorrow. My indulgence for today might be half or a full packet of stevia in tea tonight if I'm feeling adventurous haha. Otherwise I think I'll stick it out one more day on Whole30.

Hello from the other side!

Last night was difficult for me because it was my husband's birthday, so I ventured into a real bar for the first time since NYE. I happily sat there with my water and woke up feeling fresh and ready to go (he's being lazy, but I'll let him slide ;) ).

So, reintroduction.. this is the part that's making me very nervous about the Whole30. I've decided to start with dairy today since that is what I think, sadly, will affect me the most. :(

Meal 1: 3-egg omelet with a couple pieces of cheddar cheese, spinach, and onions (cooked in cococut oil and drained into the omelet itself for some fat), and a sweet potato. Had coffee after eating.

So far, I've felt okay with the exception of a slight headache that I'm contributing to my changing caffeine habit since it's been a problem all week. I did have a bit of an upset stomach, but I'm also contributing that to probably taking a bit too much natural calm last night.

I plan on doing the following reintroduction plan:

Day 1: Dairy

Day 4: Non-gluten grains

Day 7: Legumes (BEEANNNNS!)

Day 10: Gluten grains

Now, for the awesome news -- I'M BACK TO MY PRE-PREGNANCY WEIGHT!!!! That means I lost about 10-11 lbs. I didn't go into this for weightloss, but hey, I'll take it! :D

Hey All!

My old, dying omputer is just about reacdy to keel over. Thec c is popping in in weird plaecs and not typing whecccccccn I atually precss the ckecy. AKK! 

Time to shop around - HECY why not recward myselcf with a newc omputerc!!?! I an barecly fford it, but I an afford it - have steacdy inome - HAH too funny. Must laugh as it does no good to fret. Friecndly fats - HEY Friecndly FATS! Trying to say  facts. (copied and pastecd c). Ecgad.

:P 

Recintroing banana today. TREAT TIMECCCCCC!  :D

Hello ev1....Congratulations on Day 31!!! Can I hear a 'Go Me' from ev1☺

I am 67 yy, 5' 4-1/2", went from 177 lbs. to 166 lbs....that is 11 lbs.! Woohoo! I plan on doing a 21-Day Primal Exercise Challenge this month.

Non-gluten grains reintro begins tomorrow with another family dinner: Chocolate Chili, corn chips, rice. No cheese, darn.

Really at my age I am ecstatic at the changes in my body, internally and externally! A minimum of effort and I have begun correcting a lifetime of food habits that are bad for me.

Have a good day and Grok on!

Hey Everyone - AMAZING results! I'm so glad to be reading all your posts and as usual, we receive comic relief from Kirkor and bronnyd - thanks guys!

Just a quick update on my re-intro Day 2. It's 10am in Sydney on Sunday morning, so I've only had coconut coffee thus far. I will be returning to 100% W30 for today then on to non-gluten tomorrow.

As posted, I had legumes yesterday - lot's of legumes, so I THINK I'm OK with them??? Had a little bit of "ha hmmmm"....diarrhea this morning, but I feel absolutely fine and am sure it's a passing symptom - or maybe not even related? This is where I need advice on what is a sign of an intolerance and should I cut out a food group just because it may have a slight/nothing bothersome about impact on my digestion??? Help please! B)

I've got a turkey chili planned for my family for the Super Bowl (only off ingredient would be the beans). Now the question is, if I feel fine with legumes today, could I also have them tomorrow and enjoy some with them? I know they'll give me a hard time if I don't, they did NOT like me doing the Whole30.

JordanD21 - you've had some good suggestions on re-intro of legumes (and this is probably too late now), but could you not have had legumes yesterday AND Superbowl beans today, then waited 2 -3 days before next food group? I suppose waiting 1 more day before starting 'legume day' was the best move, but in future this could be helpful if you need to span 2 days of a new food?

I lost 7 pounds during the Whole30 (150 to 143, 5'6", 60 years old). I was thrilled with that since some of my current weight is muscle weight. I'm in a fairly-intense (for a 60 year old) weight/plank Strength for Life workout program. It's just am amazing day! Look forward to keeping up with everyone on their re-intros!

MartaK, I could learn a lesson or two from you - you're inspirational to me!

So, reintroduction.. this is the part that's making me very nervous about the Whole30. I've decided to start with dairy today since that is what I think, sadly, will affect me the most. :(

ambnille07 - I think we're all scared about re-intro....let's just jump in at the deep end, do our best and see how it turns out for us. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Hi everyone!!!

Just posted my last post in the January whole 30 section. Very happy with my results - I feel much stronger, fitter and healthier (physically, mentally & emotionally) and look much better. Still have a long way to go to be my healthiest, happiest self but heading in the right direction. Here's a re-post of my stats:

Height: 5'5"

Jan 1st -

Weight: 181lbs

BMI: 30.2

Body Fat: 42.3%

Chest: 41"

Waist: 36"

Belly: 43.5"

Hips: 43.5"

Thigh: 24"

Calf: 16"

Upper Arm: 13"

Neck: 15"

Feb 1st -

Weight: 167.5lbs (down 13.5lbs)

BMI: 27.9 (down 2.3 points)

Body Fat: 37.5% (down 4.8%)

Chest: 39" (down 2")

Waist: 33.5" (down 2.5")

Belly: 38" (down 5.5")

Hips: 40.5" (down 3")

Thigh: 23.5" (down 0.5" each, ie, 1" total)

Calf: 15.5" (down 0.5" each, ie, 1" total)

Upper Arm: 12.5" (down 0.5" each, ie, 1" total)

Neck: 14" (down 1")

Total inch loss = 17"

I have pictures from Jan 1st and Feb 1st.....but I'm in underwear so I'm not posting them here! I'll continue to take photos and measurements each 1st of the month and maybe when I've got to a happy place with my body I'll post 'before' and 'after' shots!!!

Can I tell you guys how NOT to do this?

Have your favorite Vietnamese restaurant's hot and sour noodle soup for lunch (peanuts, rice noodles, probably some wheat in the fish balls, probably some sugar somewhere) and THEN, later, have a generous helping of collard green gratin (milk, cheese, AND butter) as part of dinner.

Keep in mind, everything tasted great. Amazing, as a matter of fact. In the last few days I'd been dreaming about that particular soup (especially since it's so cold and gray out) and about dairy in general.

The sinus headache began within less than a half-hour of finishing the soup and the stomach cramps began within about an hour of finishing the gratin. I'll spare you the gory details of the latter but you can guess...This morning the headache's still here.

During the Whole30 I got into the habit of doing all my cooking on the weekends so I wouldn't have to cook during the week. I still have two meals to make today, both of them Whole30-approved (one of them "paleofied": Thai chicken coconut curry cauliflower "rice"). Because I came off of this Whole30 completely wrong, I'm going to have to go back on it for a few more days until I feel right again, and then I will try doing this reintro again the right way. Unfortunately I may have to cancel this dinner reservation I have next week...

All I'm saying is...stay safe out there. That's all I'm saying.

Congratulations to everyone!  I've had an awesome time reading through all of your success stories.  Now it's time for my story.

Female, 31 years old.

Starting weight - 209 lbs

Current weight - 192 lbs

I've lost 17 pounds!!!!

I no longer have wicked sugar cravings at 3:00 in the afternoon.  These cravings used to send me searching the office for someone who had a bowl of candy on their desk.

I'm no longer snacking between meals.  I used to eat every 2-3 hours, and if I didn't, I'd be really cranky and want to rip someones head off.

I'm sleeping much better!  (When my husband isn't waking me up with his snoring)

My Keritosis Pilaris is clearing up.  It's still bad, but it's not the horrible sight that it used to be.  

I used to have a bowel movement after ever meal.  Now, I only have one in the morning....not sure if this is a good thing or not, to be honest.

About half way through the month, I woke up one morning unable to move.  My left side of my back and leg were in excruciating pain from my Sciatic nerve.  It was so bad that I couldn't stand up straight and was vomiting because of the pain.  I went right to the chiropractor and started treatments.  I do feel better now, but am still dealing with residual shooting pain.  

I have no idea what triggered the Sciatic, but it's not the first time I've had to deal with it.

Today I'm re-introducing legumes, exactly as the schedule recommends.

M1: 2 Fried eggs, bacon, roasted squash, spoonful of peanut butter.

GLORIOUS PEANUT BUTTER!!  HOW I'VE MISSED YOU!!!

M2:  Miso soup, seaweed salad, kimchi, from my fave chinese restaurant.

M3:  Turkey Chili with red kidney beans.

Hey All

I got a new laptop! Was saving for a MacBook Air and well sorry, Mac, I went for a Lenovo Yoga 2 on the suggestion of a friend who works at Intel and Love. It. My reward for 1. Journeying through Whole 30 with great results and 2. Working my butt off and saving for weeks to get a new computer. And Because I opted for a PC, I have a little $$ left over! WOOHOO!

My first day back into the real world of eating was uneventful otherwise... I didn't have my banana because I felt a bit drained and my throat cold came back but just a bit. Went to a birthday party last night and I had the most delectable handful of corn chips. One handful. They were SO good. Was slightly tempted to have a glass of wine, but --- again -- why am I doing this?? So my first day was a spontaneous "reintro" of corn grain - but not really. No symptoms. I'm staying Paleo.

Today I feel better again. Slept 9 hours. :) :) :) I'm having Paleo tortillas with my eggs and bacon for breaky! Nothing to reintro here - all ings are whole 30 compliant - just now in the form of a TORTILLA! Yah baby. It's gonna be good. Will have a bit of fruit today as well, but already know have to watch it with my SIBO so the banana/blueberries is more of a treat/SIBO experiment. Also, I'm going keto - probably already there - and the banana may bring me out. Kirkor, any feedback on that? We can chat on KetwhOle30 forum if you like.

Tuesday it'll be dairy. :) :) :)

Yesterday I re-introduced gluten. After an egg sandwich for lunch (spelt bread), I bloated, had a headache and felt lethargic. I still followed the guidelines and had whole wheat pasta for dinner. I just felt so full all day. Still had a headache a little today but is now gone. So I think gluten is a bad thing for me.

After introducting dairy back at Meals 1 & 2, I felt bloated, gassy, and just all-around awful all day yesterday. I didn't even want to try any for meal 3 because that's how awful I felt. I think it's confirmed that dairy is a major factor in stomach issues for me (there goes my stock in Ben & Jerry's).

I already feel better now that it's been 24 hours since I've had it with only a little bit of stomach upset compared to yesterday. I'm hoping that it's the only thing that causes such a reaction. On to Tuesday -- gluten-free grains! :)

Hi all, this won't be news for anyone, but people may be interested in this article from a local news site here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/food-news/65668913/why-lowfat-isnt-always-healthy

Sorry if the hyperlink didn't work... I'm a relative newbie to all this...

(I'm posting this because when the sugar dragon calls me, this type of thing helps keep me strong and reminds me why I'm working so hard to give up sugar! Maybe someone else is in the same boat :))

Also, I'm going keto - probably already there - and the banana may bring me out. Kirkor, any feedback on that? We can chat on KetwhOle30 forum if you like.

Bananas and keto aren't really compatible --- a large one basically has your entire net carb allotment for the day.

My first whole 30 ended Friday ! Here are my positives : kicked sweetners ( was addicted to truvia) , no cravings , no hunger between meal 1 and 2 , clearer and more energy in afternoon . Sleeping better and waking up naturally. Stopped whey protein powder and protein bars

The only con is no weight loss :(. I'm probably 20 pounds over weight so definitely could lose. I did work out during this circuit training and metcon 4 x per week and walking. Not sure what to do or tweak here ....

This morning reintroduced oats but didn't really enjoy them. Also tried some stevia which tasted horrific and way too sweet. Glad I conquered the sugar dragon ! Thinking I will only introduce rice , some gf bread once in a while and Parmesan

Any help on the weight issue appreciated ... Am I doing too many carbs ? Too much fat?

Hey All

First off, Poukiebear, Thank You for sharing! I'm finding everyone's stories inspiring and honest. 

I've decided to go Paleo and not keto so I can have my yogurt and the occasional squash. 

Today was the day I had a cold banana whipped into creamy yummyness sprinkled with just a few dark choc chips. It was almost too much (not normal, folks) and it did cause a reaction - I felt a familiar "SIBO bubble" form under my gall bladder and started burping like crazy. The burping really really gave me relief so I just let it out. Wonder what my housemates must've thought!

So no banana for a while. Mwah! I'll eat Paleo tomorrow - the tortillas turned out really good! Tuesday I'll reintro dairy, primarily home-made yogurt. Have it fermenting right now!

I know I haven't really shared my story yet.

In a nutshell - I'm female, 5'9", age 50, young for my age as I don't have kids ;), and have gone from yo-yoing to remaining a stable 170ish. After a while, found it impossible to lose weight. The books I'm reading really explain it well - both It Starts With Food and Why We Get Fat. I was tired all the time, dealing with fluctuating hormones, IBS and a gut that constantly hurt. My doc had me take a SIBO test, which came out positive and high. She recommended low FODMAP diet and antibiotics. An adult student of mine who was also diagnosed SIBO recommended Whole30 and that's why I'm here. I don't know how much weight I've lost as I just don't want to go there anymore. I can just tell I'm thinner, feeling better in general, although still low energy often. It takes time though. 

Because my SIBO test was so high, I'll probably have to go on another round of either antibiotics or herbs - want to try the herbs first (things like oregano, Pau d'arco, cinnamon) if doc says yes. This is a HUGE learning experience on so many levels for me. Whole 30 has helped. Why We Get Fat has REALLY helped. Making the decision to allow slow, real change for the better has helped. This forum has helped tremendously. :)  :wub:

Hey Everyone! Hope you all had a fun Superbowl Sunday?

After my first re-intro of legumes on Saturday and no reactions, today was re-intro 2 of gluten free grains.

I had a slice of gluten free bread/toast with breakfast, some corn chips with lunch and white rice with dinner. So far, so good...although I will be surprised if I do encounter a reaction of note during this week - it will be interesting!

Oh,and can you believe it! I had my FIRST food dream last night. I dreamt the moderators were telling me I was eating too much fruit and I was very defensive about it! Must be subliminal anxiety about not wanting to cheat...

Yesterday I had a small amount of brown basmati rice with dinner and it was yummy!!!! No reaction to it so I reckon I'm OK to have rice on occasion.

This morning I foolishly added a splash of semi-skimmed milk to my coffee....big mistake....HUGE....especially as I went for a 6 mile run shortly afterwards. You'd think that I'd have learned after the teeny tiny bit of cheddar incident on Saturday. Oh, but no....I decided to chance it! Lets just sum this up with an equation:

Small amount of dairy + running = immediate need for the nearest toilet!

Luckily, I made it to a public toilet (well stocked with paper, thank goodness!) just in time. JUST. IN.TIME!!!

So, it's back to black coffee and tea for me. Dairy (even in v.small amounts) seems to have a pretty strong and quick affect on my digestive system.

The rest of my day will be compliant.....then tomorrow....a big more rice I think!

Yesterday I had a small amount of brown basmati rice with dinner and it was yummy!!!! No reaction to it so I reckon I'm OK to have rice on occasion.

This morning I foolishly added a splash of semi-skimmed milk to my coffee....big mistake....HUGE....especially as I went for a 6 mile run shortly afterwards. You'd think that I'd have learned after the teeny tiny bit of cheddar incident on Saturday. Oh, but no....I decided to chance it! Lets just sum this up with an equation:

Small amount of dairy + running = immediate need for the nearest toilet!

Luckily, I made it to a public toilet (well stocked with paper, thank goodness!) just in time. JUST. IN.TIME!!!

So, it's back to black coffee and tea for me. Dairy (even in v.small amounts) seems to have a pretty strong and quick affect on my digestive system.

The rest of my day will be compliant.....then tomorrow....a big more rice I think!

I'm really sorry, but this story made me laugh....only because it reminded me of my own horrific running story where I DIDN'T make it.   

Thankfully it was 6:00 in the morning, and not a lot of people were out and about.  Otherwise they would have noticed me dash into the bushes for no reason.

On the bright side, I think I made my best time running home, trying to leave the scene of the crime.  LOL

I'm really sorry, but this story made me laugh....only because it reminded me of my own horrific running story where I DIDN'T make it.   

Thankfully it was 6:00 in the morning, and not a lot of people were out and about.  Otherwise they would have noticed me dash into the bushes for no reason.

On the bright side, I think I made my best time running home, trying to leave the scene of the crime.  LOL

Gotta love those running trots, eh?

Hey everyone! Great to see those from the Jan 1st Whole30 over here :)

We started our reintro on Saturday 1/31 with legumes. As I prepped breakfast (Sweet potato, turkey, onion and kale scramble) I was beside myself to see that I'd bought pre-seasoned ground turkey! UGH At least it was day 31 and not earlier on, and the additive was a soy ingredient which we were reintroing anyway and less than 2% sugar. Word to the wise, keep reading your labels folks! On the side I had half a banana with peanuts and unsweetened coconut (delicious!). We also had soy sauce with lunch and dinner as it is the flavor we both missed most during the whole30. The next day was a particularly smelly day in our house... no bellyaches but that wasn't pleasant.

Exciting for me-- after dinner I had a date with a few peanuts and it may as well have been a snickers bar! Before whole30 I couldn't eat a date on its own because it didn't taste sweet. I haven't bought any peanut butter yet because I'm a little nervous to have it around still. 

Reintro is going to be hard! It's been tough to go back to whole30 for the interim days, but I'm trying to stay with the process. It's amazing how quickly my brain goes to work trying to logic my way into eating off plan things now that the rules have relaxed slightly. So, we set ourselves up for success on Superbowl Sunday (WOO PATS!!!) by having a great filling dinner before heading to our party, it was easy to turn down the chips and cookies because we were stuffed. This is a tactic I think we'll stick with from here on out. Mr. is pretty much riding his own bike, sorta skipped the step by step reintro, but I think he's surprised to see how bad beer makes him feel (headaches, achy joints, tummy problems).

Tomorrow is non gluten grains. Mostly excited to have corn. I love to make popcorn on the stove top, and we're looking forward to that. We'll bring some rice in too, though it's been very enlightening to have a whole month of dinners without a "carb" side. We were raised making dinner plates that were 1/3 meat, 1/3 veggies, 1/3 carbs, I like our new template much more. It will be interesting to see how foods like pasta and rice fit into that, my hunch is that they will be occasional additions. 

Archived